Pre-Game Talk: The 2021/2022 Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I don't expect Hamonic to come back.

Chiasson will get a contract and that will push one of Di Guiseppe, Petan, and Dowling out of the lineup when Boeser returns.

There's no way Chiasson pushes DiGuisseppe out

Chiasson doesnt kill penalties and Diguiseppe is perfect for the bottom 6 roll. Super reliable defensively.

Reactions: David71

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
I expect (Juolevi) clears waivers and wouldn’t be shocked to see a mutual contract termination followed by a contract in Europe. Maybe not the second part but certainly the first.

If I were him, I'd be worried about my future income as a pro hockey player. He hasn't made a ton of money so far, and he's on 750k one-way, I don't think he'll turn that down to make (I suspect) less money in Europe. I'd live in Abbotsford for seven months for 750kUS.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It all depends on what the NHL and NHLPA rules and agreement are with non-vaccinated players. A team can set a rule all it wants but if the NHLPA files a grievance then there's not much the team can do without short of him to the AHL.
Aren’t there provincial rules that prevents unvaccinated players from playing?

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Canucks can't suspend him unless he fails to report. Since he hasn't been invited, he hasn't failed to report. I imagine he'll either be waived or vaccinated. We'll find out by opening day

Reactions: DarrenX

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I must have missed where Dipietro and Rathbone became NHL regulars.

Also they fired the guy who ran that draft and Dim Jim/Weisbrod who wanted Glass/Lind are now more hands-on.
Is it unusual to you for late round picks to take 4 or 5 years to develop into every day NHL players?

Also, such intellectual dishonesty. "All our good picks were Brackett and all our bad picks were Benning because..reasons".

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Is it unusual to you for late round picks to take 4 or 5 years to develop into every day NHL players?

That literally has nothing to do with what I said, which is that counting picks as ‘successes’ before the player has stuck in the NHL is a fool’s errand.

MarkusNaslund19 said:
Also, such intellectual dishonesty. "All our good picks were Brackett and all our bad picks were Benning because..reasons".

Except it isn’t.

We know a lot about how virtually all of our high picks happened and it’s a consistent pattern that Brackett was right and that Benning/Weisbrod were a wrench in the gears screwing things up. An exception is Hoglander who I’m happy to give Benning credit for because that’s what the evidence suggests.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Obviously, you haven't been brought up to date... Anything good Benning has done is.. a) a fluke , b) somebody else's doing c) the completely obvious...

and apparently, according to some..He's the worst GM in modern NHL history.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
That literally has nothing to do with what I said, which is that counting picks as ‘successes’ before the player has stuck in the NHL is a fool’s errand.

Except it isn’t.

We know a lot about how virtually all of our high picks happened and it’s a consistent pattern that Brackett was right and that Benning/Weisbrod were a wrench in the gears screwing things up. An exception is Hoglander who I’m happy to give Benning credit for because that’s what the evidence suggests.
Show your work.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

First point Is a straw man.

second point - the good picks were the top 40 picks, and largely two specific top 5-7 picks.

Who cares who did it. It’s not that impressive and the “but drafting” low bar excuse sucks and carries little merit.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015

Except it isn’t.

Hughes, Petey, Boeser, Hoglander but sure lets just use limited data to prove a point, its not like we have seen how that story plays out over the past 20 months

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
First point Is a straw man.

second point - the good picks were the top 40 picks, and largely two specific top 5-7 picks.

Who cares who did it. It’s not that impressive and the “but drafting” low bar excuse sucks and carries little merit.

Rathbone, Gaudette, Mcdonough, Lockwood, are all players who look like they will play 100+ games. thats not including the players who are trending in a right direction such as Jurmo, Jasek, Myrenberg. They all look like they are trending to get NHL games and have decent careers.

Lower picks naturally take longer to develop most of those picks we wont know what they are until +3/+4 years

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Show your work.

I'm not wasting an hour of my time chasing links for you. These have all been discussed here and credible media links have been presented in the past.

- Benning (and likely ownership as well) overruled the scouts to take Virtanen. Scouts wanted Nylander or Larkin.
- Benning wanted Bleackley and Hawryluk with the next two picks and when those guys were gone deferred to the scouts to take McCann and Demko

- it sounds like everyone was on the same page with Boeser

- Benning overruled the scouts to take Juolevi. This has even been confirmed by IMac.

- Benning and Brackett wanted Cody Glass. Brackett and his staff wanted Pettersson. Trevor Linden intervened to give the scouts autonomy to make their pick. This was confirmed by Linden on TV.
- Benning badly wanted Kole Lind, as seen in video.

- everyone wanted Hughes

- Benning wanted Broberg, let Brackett take Podkolzin when Broberg was gone. Benning overruled Brackett to take Hoglander.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I'm not wasting an hour of my time chasing links for you. These have all been discussed here and credible media links have been presented in the past.

- Benning (and likely ownership as well) overruled the scouts to take Virtanen. Scouts wanted Nylander or Larkin.
- Benning wanted Bleackley and Hawryluk with the next two picks and when those guys were gone deferred to the scouts to take McCann and Demko

- it sounds like everyone was on the same page with Boeser

- Benning overruled the scouts to take Juolevi. This has even been confirmed by IMac.

- Benning and Brackett wanted Cody Glass. Brackett and his staff wanted Pettersson. Trevor Linden intervened to give the scouts autonomy to make their pick. This was confirmed by Linden on TV.
- Benning badly wanted Kole Lind, as seen in video.

- everyone wanted Hughes

- Benning wanted Broberg, let Brackett take Podkolzin when Broberg was gone. Benning overruled Brackett to take Hoglander.

IDK about McCann but I know they wanted Demko with that pick as they had him rated as the #1 goalie in the draft and one of the best goalies in the past couple of drafts

Nice typo, you do know Benning has the last say at the draft right just because he wants someone doesnt mean he was going to choose them, which is why they drafted Petey.

This statement is completely false as Benning said Podz was the last player in the group that went before them.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
IDK about McCann but I know they wanted Demko with that pick as they had him rated as the #1 goalie in the draft and one of the best goalies in the past couple of drafts

Nice typo, you do know Benning has the last say at the draft right just because he wants someone doesnt mean he was going to choose them, which is why they drafted Petey.

This statement is completely false as Benning said Podz was the last player in the group that went before them.

1) Sounds like the scouts had Demko rated high. Benning wanted Hawryluk, as confirmed by media. And double confirmed when they signed him immediately last summer.

2) You realize Linden was Benning’s boss? Linden had final say. Weisbrod was so pissed he didn’t even go to the podium and pouted at the draft table.

3) I believe the reports were that Benning wanted to trade down when Broberg was gone and Brackett fought to use the pick on Podkolzin. Someone else might be able to confirm.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
1) Sounds like the scouts had Demko rated high. Benning wanted Hawryluk, as confirmed by media. And double confirmed when they signed him immediately last summer.

2) You realize Linden was Benning’s boss? Linden had final say. Weisbrod was so pissed he didn’t even go to the podium and pouted at the draft table.

3) I believe the reports were that Benning wanted to trade down when Broberg was gone and Brackett fought to use the pick on Podkolzin. Someone else might be able to confirm.

this is the problem, all this stuff has been confirmed by various sources over the years and linked years ago. Then sure enough person comes in and says prove it! Well f*** it’s years old would be a waste of time to find. We should just create a giant sticky thread to help with this crap.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
this is the problem, all this stuff has been confirmed by various sources over the years and linked years ago. Then sure enough person comes in and says prove it! Well f*** it’s years old would be a waste of time to find. We should just create a giant sticky thread to help with this crap.

He has seen it a hundred times before. This is the game, ask for the links, ignore the links and then ask for them again 3 months later. I don’t know why you guys still engage with these people honestly.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
He has seen it a hundred times before. This is the game, ask for the links, ignore the links and then ask for them again 3 months later. I don’t know why you guys still engage with these people honestly.
This!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad