Pre-Game Talk: The 2021/2022 Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I was a little surprised there was talk of us bringing in any tryouts - with all our Abbotsford signings, there’s a ton of depth guys to battle for spots.
Is there? Who else besides Highmore and Locky is on the outside looking in? (Probably forgetting someone)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Is there? Who else besides Highmore and Locky is on the outside looking in? (Probably forgetting someone)

Zack MacEwen, Phil Di Giuseppe, Jason Dowling, Nic Petan, etc. Are all guys who can compete for spots on the big roster, or be impact players on the farm. There will be a lot of competition for a fourth line spot / 13th F spot.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So...

Miller Pettersson Brock Boeser
Garland Horvat Hoglander
Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin
Motte Sutter Macewan

With fighting for Sutter and Macewans spots:

Lockwood, Gadvovich, HighMore, Do Giuseppe, Dowling and Petan

Reactions: Johnathon Tanner

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
Excited to have some actual hockey stuff to bicker over. I'm pretty jazzed up to see what Horvat will look like with credible top6 NHL talent on his wing, and the flexibility to cycle players in/out to see what fits with him. This will be the first time in his career that he'll get multiple options that actually can keep their heads above water

Reactions: Bubbles and Indiana

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
So...

Miller Pettersson Brock Boeser
Garland Horvat Hoglander
Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin
Motte Sutter Macewan

With fighting for Sutter and Macewans spots:

Lockwood, Gadvovich, HighMore, Do Giuseppe, Dowling and Petan
Sutter is a roster lock... until injured.

Podkolzin's spot needs to be earned and MacEwan's spot is up for grabs by anyone that shows consistent energy and shows a shred of skill in the process.

The fun battle to follow will be to see how the D shakes out...

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Podkolzin's spot needs to be earned and MacEwan's spot is up for grabs by anyone that shows consistent energy and shows a shred of skill in the process.

These will probably most def not be the pairings but would think thesed be the top 6 with many of the spots open for battle

OEL Hamonic
Hughes PoolMan
Rathbone Myers

Then... Hunt, Schenn, Juolevi, Briesbois I guess??

I feel Rathbone will rise in minutes and be a top 4 for us pretty quickly as he is THAT good and the competition is pretty minimal

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
These will probably most def not be the pairings but would think thesed be the top 6 with many of the spots open for battle

OEL Hamonic
Hughes PoolMan
Rathbone Myers

Then... Hunt, Schenn, Juolevi, Briesbois I guess??

I feel Rathbone will rise in minutes and be a top 4 for us pretty quickly as he is THAT good and the competition is pretty minimal

I think that there are a few ahead of Brisebois.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Agreed that Sutter is a lock...Pod's spot is more his to lose than having to earn it (if that makes any sense)..The name I keep hearing who could surprise everyone for that last spot on the 4th line is Di Giuseppe.

That last D spot will be interesting...Rathbone, Hunt , Juolevi...That last spot requires a player that PK's, so I wouldn't count out Juolevi.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Garland
Podkolzin - Dickinson - Hoglander
Motte - Sutter - (OPEN FOR BATTLE)

- Candidates for that fourth winger spot (and the 13th F) include: Zack MacEwen, Matthew Highmore, Justin Bailey, Phil Di Giuseppe, Justin Dowling, Nic Petan

- Personally, I would have Hoglander on Horvat and Garland's line, but I just feel like Green is going to keep Pearson with Horvat.

On D -

OEL - Myers
Hughes - Hamonic
Rathbone - Poolman

- I could also see Green opting for Rathbone to start in Abbotsford, but I think he plays his way onto the team. Schenn would be the #7. If the Canucks keep eight d-men, it'll be Hunt, Juolevi or Keeper in the 8 spot.

And of course, Demko and Halak in net.

Reactions: CanuckCity

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
Roster-wise it looks like the biggest boom or bust factors for this season are:
  • OEL - Myers
  • x - Dickinson - x
Probably a really high chance we see that d-pairing to start the year and we should know pretty early how ugly it might be. I think there's a good chance we see our 1st round pick gone before Christmas to try and save the ship.

Reactions: Indiana

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Garland
Podkolzin - Dickinson - Hoglander
Motte - Sutter - (OPEN FOR BATTLE)

- Candidates for that fourth winger spot (and the 13th F) include: Zack MacEwen, Matthew Highmore, Justin Bailey, Phil Di Giuseppe, Justin Dowling, Nic Petan

- Personally, I would have Hoglander on Horvat and Garland's line, but I just feel like Green is going to keep Pearson with Horvat.

On D -

OEL - Myers
Hughes - Hamonic
Rathbone - Poolman

- I could also see Green opting for Rathbone to start in Abbotsford, but I think he plays his way onto the team. Schenn would be the #7. If the Canucks keep eight d-men, it'll be Hunt, Juolevi or Keeper in the 8 spot.

And of course, Demko and Halak in net.
Pretty much how I see it. I think they'll keep Juolevi as the 8th D purely because of the waiver issue. Hunt and Keeper will be the first/second call ups and could play ahead of Juolevi if so. Would really like to see Petan earn a spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad