Prospect Info: The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Besides some of the Top Players, who are you looking forward to the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
And this looks to be the deepest draft since 2015... the Avs, if they don't ship out their pick, could be getting a real good player in the 20s.
I'll be pretty disappointed if we still have our 2019 pick and it has nothing to do with the quality of the draft.

Edit: 2020 pick

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'll be pretty disappointed if we still have our 2019 pick and it has nothing to do with the quality of the draft.
You mean 2020? I think people tend to drastically overrate draft picks here, I mean I still dislike Burakovsky, but a 2nd rounder for him is great value. It depends on who we would spend the 1st round pick on, I would very much not want to give it away for Hall or any other rental. I am all for trading it away for another Burakovsky type of player - what I mean is an NHL calibre player -, but not for a rental.

I am not sure this draft is as deep as Hench says it is, I absolutely buy the top 15 talent as one of the best in the last couple of years, but after that I think it really drops at this current point in time (there is still a chance for a good player though in the early 20's). Nonetheless, I suggest Avs could use one more 1st round player for better depth in the future than getting rid of it for the sake of the playoffs, especially considering that Jost is looking like nothing more than a 3rd line centre. I think next season is where we should conduct a major push, don't get me wrong anything can happen this season as we saw with the Blues. I am just more on the fence of getting rid of young ELC players desires' compared to lackadaisical veterans.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
You mean 2020? I think people tend to drastically overrate draft picks here
Yeah 2020 my bad.

Draft picks are fun to have but if we still have ours that means that Sakic wasn't fully committed to make the team better for the upcoming cup run. I'm not an "all-in" guy (too soon) but we need immediate roster help a lot more than a late 1st.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah 2020 my bad.

Draft picks are fun to have but if we still have ours that means that Sakic wasn't fully committed to make the team better for the upcoming cup run. I'm not an "all-in" guy (too soon) but we need immediate roster help a lot more than a late 1st.
I don't disagree, I am just making the point that it depends on who's the target. No rentals even if that includes JGP whom I love, it needs to be for something that could be part of the package that will help us such as Rickard Rakell as one example.

Reactions: McMetal

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Get to watch the 67s on Sportsnet this evening and oh boy what a player Rossi is.... If he can grow an inch or two he should climb inside the Top 10 by seasons end.
He's not a good skater for his size, but elite vision and playmaking ability. I thought he was a tad overrated since he got to play with two overagers last year, but he's still smoking the OHL so he obviously has the talent. I haven't chequed, but he's gotta have the highest PPG of any draft eligible player after Laferniere.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Craig Button's list is out. He says Askarov is the best goalie prospect since Carey Price and has him at #4 OA.

What do you think @Gigantor The Goalie ?

@S E P H Lapierre is still in the top 5 here:

fgMHX3C.png

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-ale...uinton-byfield-and-yaroslav-askarov-1.1403436

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Craig Button's list is out. He says Askarov is the best goalie prospect since Carey Price and has him at #4 OA.

What do you think @Gigantor The Goalie ?

@S E P H Lapierre is still in the top 5 here:

fgMHX3C.png

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-ale...uinton-byfield-and-yaroslav-askarov-1.1403436

Yaroslavl Askarov is about as much of a lay up a goalie prospect can be. It's ridiculous how more polished Askarov is than any other goalie prospect out there including ones that have been already drafted. He's essentially the type of goalie GM's and coaches dream of having.

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
There's a Swedish kid named Lucas Raymond?

A very well-rounded and highly skilled winger. Raymond is blessed with exceptional hockey sense. Furthermore, he has terrific hands, great speed and fine work ethic. Plays with plenty of intensity and battles hard for the puck. A nightmare to play against with his forechecking and puck-stealing ability. He also plays a strong two-way game and is a capable penalty killer. Offensively, he has a strong wrist shot and excellent vision. Few weaknesses overall and is a player that doesn't wait for the play to happen, but the one that generates the play and make things happen. (EP 2018)

Lucas Raymond at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: Pokecheque

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
As I've said before, I can't wait to see him face off against Brad Lambert.
Along with Lassi Thomson on the back end.
Wow...now here I was thinking "Sean Bergenheim" was an odd name for a Finn. :laugh:

But I suppose if Swedish players can be named "Douglas Murray," "Mika Zibanejad." and "Andre Burakovsky" then anything's possible.
Sweden has been very open to immigrants from Europe, especially the Balkans and refugees from Middle East/Africa (and to a lesser extent Suisse). Zibanejad is one good example, his father (or grandfather) fled from persecution in Iran to Europe and settled in Sweden which Mika was eventually born. Burakovsky is a weird one because his name is very Ukrainian/Belarusian, so sometime in his family line they eventually moved into Sweden and it was probably due to WWII as Belarus/Ukraine was in the front lines for majority of the war.

It should be noticeable in the upcoming draft years, but if you go through some NLA or SHL teams you tend to see a lot of Slavic names ending with the -ic "itch" sound. It's also not a coincidence that non-NA black players come entirely from either Sweden or Switzerland.

Reactions: Pokecheque

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I know he's not a hockey player but Zlatan Ibrahimovic is "Swedish" as well. And that's obviously a Bosnian/Croat/Montenegrin name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad