Prospect Info: The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Besides some of the Top Players, who are you looking forward to the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Gifs aside, Mercer is a guy the Avs should look at with their pick.
I haven't seen him play, but heard good things. What's the player comparison?

The way Avs are heading, Stutzle is becoming a realm of possibility. :sarcasm: Overall though, I do think Avs still finish somewhere between 18th to 23rd and some players I quite like in that range are Amirov, Mysak, Smilanic, and Zary. Also seen some lists where Gunler could be around that area as well which would be interesting.

One lad I had lower on my personal early-2020 list, but I absolutely buy him as talented is Zion Nybeck. Problem is he might play too much of a "junior" style of game for me.

Not sure I am getting some early hype on Sourdif, Ponomaryov, or Perreault, though I haven't seen too much. Sourdif still screams like an early 2nd rounder to me, whereas I haven't seen too much of the other two yet.

There are some players who are sort of trending on my avoid list including Guhle, Kleven, Sanderson, and perhaps Foudy. Like I absolutely buy Foudy as an NHL player, but I don't know how high that would be on a team. I think there are some limitations in talent, but I've seen other OHLers who mention that he's a better version of his brother.

I don't think I buy a lot of early defencemen hype either. Drysdale just seems super overrated to me, Barron hasn't had a good start to the season and, a ton of random lads being ranked high lately such as Poirier, Mukhamadullin, Grans, Andrae, and Nikishin among others. Weird one is Schneider because I was very much looking forward to him this season, but it seems that the Wheat Kings as a collective are not very good which could be impacting his offensive skills.

One lad who I've heard great things about is Simontaival, again haven't watched him play this season, but that's what I've been hearing around.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I haven't seen him play, but heard good things. What's the player comparison?

Bo Horvat is a similar style. Has some craftiness to him, unafraid of the dirty areas, very good shot and shot first from center, solid 2 way player... similar skating and pace concerns. A bit early to really gauge if his ceiling is around that level, but think Horvat with Mercer. He's right in that 15-30 range right now.

I should state, I think he is a winger in the NHL. He can play both in junior, but looks to me like a winger going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Oh yeah! Luke is a better prospect than Quinn at the same age... and he's going to be in the ~6'1" range.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Oh yeah! Luke is a better prospect than Quinn at the same age... and he's going to be in the ~6'1" range.
6'0.75".

U7Ghu2s.gif

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not sure if he's as mobile as Quinn is in a 360 degree direction, but - and don't know how this is even possible - he's a stronger skater (at least in a straight line direction) and more dynamic with the puck. I hate trying to say he's better than an already NHL calibre defenceman that will be top 2/3 in the calder voting, but alas I am with you on this one.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not sure if he's as mobile as Quinn is in a 360 degree direction, but - and don't know how this is even possible - he's a stronger skater (at least in a straight line direction) and more dynamic with the puck. I hate trying to say he's better than an already NHL calibre defenceman that will be top 2/3 in the calder voting, but alas I am with you on this one.

Yeah I don't think he's going to have quite as good of small space mobility at Quinn... but he's going to be better than 99% of NHLers in that area still. At 16, I think people started taking Quinn seriously when they realized that his skating ability far out stripped the fact that he was 5'8" but that took a bit.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So this is pretty insane, but as you lot know Caufield set the USNTDP record for goals ever scored in their jersey last year.

Well, there is a lad eligible for the 2021 draft which is on the same pace as Cole was on. He is Chaz Lucius at eliteprospects.com and he already set the goalscoring record at the prep school before coming to the programme.

Reactions: MikeC

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
So this is pretty insane, but as you lot know Caufield set the USNTDP record for goals ever scored in their jersey last year.

Well, there is a lad eligible for the 2021 draft which is on the same pace as Cole was on. He is Chaz Lucius at eliteprospects.com and he already set the goalscoring record at the prep school before coming to the programme.

And Jack Hughes apparently took a shot from the fountain of youth and is on that USDP roster as well, but he is 5th on the team in scoring...one spot ahead of his "older brother" Luke (3 more points in one more game, as a F instead of D).

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

But here’s the thing... his name is Chaz.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I have to say, it’s kinda nice not really having to focus on draft eligible prospects this year, knowing the future is already in place.
Hell no, I cannot never stop enjoying the draft either if it's at 1st or 31st. Plus it was fun watching where we were going to pick with Sens pick, how you can hate this is strange to me.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hell no, I cannot never stop enjoying the draft either if it's at 1st or 31st. Plus it was fun watching where we were going to pick with Sens pick, how you can hate this is strange to me.

And this looks to be the deepest draft since 2015... the Avs, if they don't ship out their pick, could be getting a real good player in the 20s.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

I always enjoy the draft conversation and following along after the season ends, but it’s nice to know we have the core in place and everything is just gravy from this coming draft.

I’m happy that it looks like this team won’t be picking in the top 5-10 for a long time, and won’t need to with young players and prospects on the rise.

Reactions: Matt Roberts

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Which position will be a biggest need for the next draft?

For me
LW and RW
C
D
G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad