Prospect Info: The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Besides some of the Top Players, who are you looking forward to the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
But do we really need another Finn? I mean, we already have two, and two more prospects that look like decent bets to make the team eventually. Same with the Swedes. And of course, plenty of Russians.

I think we need to draft some good old....Germans? Slovaks? Maybe Czechs, as Kaut is the only CZ prospect. Or Swiss, Dane, or FSM knows that we have too many Canadians and Americans. One Frenchman is plenty I think. Oh I know, we should get one that would be the only one from their country in the NHL.

;P

Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
But do we really need another Finn? I mean, we already have two, and two more prospects that look like decent bets to make the team eventually. Same with the Swedes. And of course, plenty of Russians.

I think we need to draft some good old....Germans? Slovaks? Maybe Czechs, as Kaut is the only CZ prospect. Or Swiss, Dane, or FSM knows that we have too many Canadians and Americans. One Frenchman is plenty I think. Oh I know, we should get one that would be the only one from their country in the NHL.

;P

Well, the Avs did have the only Croatian in the NHL for a short time there.

If they acquire Georgiev, they'll have the only Bulgarian-born NHLer.

And of course, there's always good ol' Anze, who's the first and so far only Slovenian in NHL history.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
And of course, there's always good ol' Anze, who's the first and so far only Slovenian in NHL history.
tenor.gif

Jan Mursak.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Aw, shit, it was a bridge too far to say "only," though Anze was still first by a year (at least in terms of drafting).
Speaking of only players from countries, I used to love Mariusz Czerkawski as a kid just because he was Polish and had a weird name. Same goes for anyone Kazakh, since Kazakhstan was the shitty national team. All of this is EA NHL based of course.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Speaking of only players from countries, I used to love Mariusz Czerkawski as a kid just because he was Polish and had a weird name. Same goes for anyone Kazakh, since Kazakhstan was the shitty national team. All of this is EA NHL based of course.

I liked Czerkawski because he was once married to Izabella Scorupco, the hottest Bond girl of all time.

The Kazakhstan National Team jersey is hands down my favorite. I believe the two best-known players from there are Antropov and Nabokov, right?

Speaking of which...

kazakhstan-6b_orig.jpg

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I liked Czerkawski because he was once married to Izabella Scorupco, the hottest Bond girl of all time.

The Kazakhstan National Team jersey is hands down my favorite. I believe the two best-known players from there are Antropov and Nabokov, right?

Speaking of which...
Yep. Of course now Kazakhstan will just give a nationality to anyone, so their NT is anything but Kazakh.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Is it for sure were set at 29OA? That puts Schneider out of our range which sucks.
I'm on the sniper or banger top 6 winger train.
Maybe some good RD coming up in the summer after this. Timmins is gonna get a good rest here which is good

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

I normally really like Button, but so many effin' head-scratchers on that list. And I suggest it's not even subjective, he's going to be really wrong if he keeps to those rankings.

I love Quinn, I really do, but there is no single doubt in my mind that he will never be better than Marco Rossi. Rossi is easily the second best player in this draft bar-none, Byfield and others will go higher, but redraft lists are what matters and I have all the faith in Marco's ability.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I hope Lapierre drops into our laps, yes there are significant injury concerns, but he’d have much less pressure here with the Cs in front of him, and if he develops into the player he could be wed have a legitimate shutdown 2-way C

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I normally really like Button, but so many effin' head-scratchers on that list. And I suggest it's not even subjective, he's going to be really wrong if he keeps to those rankings.

I love Quinn, I really do, but there is no single doubt in my mind that he will never be better than Marco Rossi. Rossi is easily the second best player in this draft bar-none, Byfield and others will go higher, but redraft lists are what matters and I have all the faith in Marco's ability.

He's wrong about guys every year. He'll be wrong about Newhook if things keep progressing the way they are.

He wasn't very high on Newhook most of his draft year and had him ranked 27th on March 25th 2019. Somebody must have got in his ear though closer to the draft, when he ranked him 18th.

Newhook had a good playoffs with 24 points in 15 games, but it's not like he didn't have a good regular season with 102 points in 53 games.

I think what it really is, is that Button pretends like he watches all these prospects closely, but in reality he probably doesn't. Especially Junior A leagues like the BCHL where Newhook came from. So he probably didn't watch him much in the regular season and then he did in the playoffs. Or that's the case for the scout he leans on for information.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Every year Button has a bunch of head scratchers, this year isn't any different.

I disagree @S E P H Stutzle will be ahead of Rossi. :nod:
I tried to make it transparent that every scout including me has head scratchers, so that isn't really surprising. It's more about the amount he has. Like,

- Quinn over Rossi
- Askarov over Rossi
- Raymond that low
- Sanderson that high
- Foerster over Lundell
- Jarvis as a top 25 pick, he is at best a 2nd rounder for me
- Guhle over Schneider
- Wiesblatt in the 1st round and over Greig (I like both players though)
- Mysak out of the first round
- Peterka at 42nd
- Perreault as a freakin' 2nd rounder, while Foerster is at 15th
- Gunler at freakin' 45th
- Tullio and Smilanic at the bottom of the 2nd round

Just so many. As for Stutzle being better than Rossi, no arguments from me. Both are clearly close and even though I prefer the latter both will be great players. I am just more concerned at all the others who he has over Rossi which makes no damn sense.

He's wrong about guys every year. He'll be wrong about Newhook if things keep progressing the way they are.

He wasn't very high on Newhook most of his draft year and had him ranked 27th on March 25th 2019. Somebody must have got in his ear though closer to the draft, when he ranked him 18th.

Newhook had a good playoffs with 24 points in 15 games, but it's not like he didn't have a good regular season with 102 points in 53 games.

I think what it really is, is that Button pretends like he watches all these prospects closely, but in reality he probably doesn't. Especially Junior A leagues like the BCHL where Newhook came from. So he probably didn't watch him much in the regular season and then he did in the playoffs. Or that's the case for the scout he leans on for information.
Every scout is wrong, not really a solid method or science behind it except developing an eye test I guess. Will be interesting to see how analytics change the scouts position in the future, but thus far only a small percentage is determined by it and majority of NHL/junior clubs do not release information as I am aware of.

Yeah Newhook was an interesting case, simply because you had a legit top 5 prospect the year before his draft class then fall due to subpar performance. Some of it was due to him sticking in the BCHL and not going to the USHL, however, some of it was how much did he honestly improve you know? When you're able to go PPG as a rookie and pretty much double that output the next season, how much skill is that player honestly displaying. I know when I watched him, he was extremely average to me. That wasn't to say he was bad, but that his skating ability got overrated (still think it is) and that he got a shitton of points on the powerplay (something I am very wary of concerning junior players).

I think I ranked him lower on all my lists, until the U18s happened and he was as dominant as any player was and finished in my rankings at 15th overall. I personally liked how he was on the smaller side and went to all the dirty areas and showed a desire to constantly improve - very good traits that I look for besides hockey IQ. That's why as Hench and I said the U18's is a HUGE loss for this year for any junior tournament as far as I am concerned. It can push players like Newhook up, cement others, and determine which ones are overhyped leading into the draft.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Every scout is wrong, not really a solid method or science behind it except developing an eye test I guess. Will be interesting to see how analytics change the scouts position in the future, but thus far only a small percentage is determined by it and majority of NHL/junior clubs do not release information as I am aware of.

Yeah Newhook was an interesting case, simply because you had a legit top 5 prospect the year before his draft class then fall due to subpar performance. Some of it was due to him sticking in the BCHL and not going to the USHL, however, some of it was how much did he honestly improve you know? When you're able to go PPG as a rookie and pretty much double that output the next season, how much skill is that player honestly displaying. I know when I watched him, he was extremely average to me. That wasn't to say he was bad, but that his skating ability got overrated (still think it is) and that he got a shitton of points on the powerplay (something I am very wary of concerning junior players).

I think I ranked him lower on all my lists, until the U18s happened and he was as dominant as any player was and finished in my rankings at 15th overall. I personally liked how he was on the smaller side and went to all the dirty areas and showed a desire to constantly improve - very good traits that I look for besides hockey IQ. That's why as Hench and I said the U18's is a HUGE loss for this year for any junior tournament as far as I am concerned. It can push players like Newhook up, cement others, and determine which ones are overhyped leading into the draft.

Side point, but I always find the reaction to individual tournaments interesting. Some place stock into performances, and others don't think any one tournament should sway you that much. I'm more in the former, as I think short pressure packed tournaments are some of the best ways to see how players perform under pressure with national media covering them.

This translates well to how players may perform under the bright lights of the NHL, and especially in the playoffs. So if you can use that to find the classic Claude Lemieux type that's just ok in the regular season, but really shines in the playoffs, that's a great find.

Also helps to potentially avoid the more skilled Euro players that maybe won't handle the pressure of the NHL, or playing away from your comfort zone at home as well.

I think a lot of opinions on the importance of individual tourneys come down to how much someone likes a particular prospect though. Arguments for how much stock to put into performances seem to depend on whether they like the prospect or not.

The Avs do seem to favor players that play well in the U18 though.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Side point, but I always find the reaction to individual tournaments interesting. Some place stock into performances, and others don't think any one tournament should sway you that much. I'm more in the former, as I think short pressure packed tournaments are some of the best ways to see how players perform under pressure with national media covering them.

This translates well to how players may perform under the bright lights of the NHL, and especially in the playoffs. So if you can use that to find the classic Claude Lemieux type that's just ok in the regular season, but really shines in the playoffs, that's a great find.

I think a lot of opinions on the importance of individual tourneys come down to how much someone likes a particular prospect though. Arguments for how much stock to put into performances seem to depend on whether they like the prospect or not.

The Avs do seem to favor players that play well in the U18 though.
It's kind of weird though because everyone values the U20 so much, but some of the worst mistakes happen when you watch that tourney and as you mentioned overvalue their stock in performances'. Some of them that I remember were Pogge, Campbell, and Nino to name a few off the top of my head. However, you can take another tourney like the U18 and besides some anomalies like Tyson Jost is a pretty accurate tournament to get a read on a player. I fully agree that single tournaments aren't the end factor, but they aren't worthless either where they're probably somewhere in the middle for me. However, I think you can make a good debate that the U18s is becoming one of the most important tournaments to scout in because a lot of players who preformed exceptionally have been high-risers in redraft lists.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
@Seph

this is the first time I hear someone say that Jarvis should be chosen in the 2nd round at best
Can you explain?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@Seph

this is the first time I hear someone say that Jarvis should be chosen in the 2nd round at best
Can you explain?
Yeah sure Mr. Brett, he's one of those players where his stat line looks much better than the eye test. He's a really average player that doesn't have any outstanding attributes and those players tend to look like Brandan Leipsic instead of the next Brayden Point. I think when you evolve as a scout, a lot of those "good at everything, great at nothing players" tend to never really amount to anything special. You can get away with this in terms of defencemen because teams need solid dependable defenders who are good at everything to be successful. However, it is less impactful as a forward and how you get to Connor Bleackley type of picks even if the character traits all meet the chequemark.

Now consider Jarvis good at everything, great at nothing with subpar skating ability, average frame, and average aspects to the physical game and he's just too vanilla for me to consider him a top rated prospect. I personally wouldn't draft him at all considering where he's going to go - such as the late 1st to 2nd round - where I argue that there should be much better prospects available. If he's there at the low end 3rd or 4th then by all means, take the risk, but not where Button and others have him at.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah sure Mr. Brett, he's one of those players where his stat line looks much better than the eye test. He's a really average player that doesn't have any outstanding attributes and those players tend to look like Brandan Leipsic instead of the next Brayden Point. I think when you evolve as a scout, a lot of those "good at everything, great at nothing players" tend to never really amount to anything special. You can get away with this in terms of defencemen because teams need solid dependable defenders who are good at everything to be successful. However, it is less impactful as a forward and how you get to Connor Bleackley type of picks even if the character traits all meet the chequemark.

Now consider Jarvis good at everything, great at nothing with subpar skating ability, average frame, and average aspects to the physical game and he's just too vanilla for me to consider him a top rated prospect. I personally wouldn't draft him at all considering where he's going to go - such as the late 1st to 2nd round - where I argue that there should be much better prospects available. If he's there at the low end 3rd or 4th then by all means, take the risk, but not where Button and others have him at.

The internet scouts will be all over that! :laugh:

(but I agree... I wouldn't be as harsh as you, but he's not going to be more than just a bit above average in the NHL if it translates... and at 5'9/10" that isn't good enough and will have to take a step forward at least)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The internet scouts will be all over that! :laugh:

(but I agree... I wouldn't be as harsh as you, but he's not going to be more than just a bit above average in the NHL if it translates... and at 5'9/10" that isn't good enough and will have to take a step forward at least)
I would much rather draft Neighbours if we had to choose between the two and I think there's a good argument that Jake has worse skating ability - more pro skillset/tools for me. I am not trying to doubt Seth as a lack of talent, but more about I am not believer of where he's going to go. He would be a selection of mine if we had multiple 2nd round picks, but I see him more as a third round prospect concerning his issues and that is still better than 99.8% rest of the hockey world.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I like Neighbours a lot as a 2nd round sort of pick... I don't like him as a 1st round sort of guy. I'd probably be a coin flip between Jarvis and Neighbours, but I do think Neighbours is certainly more projectable. If he was 6'1" he'd be a top 20 lock for me.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I compare them in terms of Jarvis has higher ceiling, Neighbours has higher floor and as you said is more projectable.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

I haven’t seen much of Drysdale, but apparently he’s got a similar game to Makar. That will make some team very happy. Wonder how high he goes.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I haven’t seen much of Drysdale, but apparently he’s got a similar game to Makar. That will make some team very happy. Wonder how high he goes.
Lol not even close, Drysdale is going to be a good one, but I don't think his offensive game is as good as Byram's which isn't in the same realm of Makar's. Drysdale will most definitely be the better defensive player of the three easily, but that comparison is as lazy and unthought of as humanly possible - Drysdale is like a top 10 version of Bigras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad