Prospect Info: The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Besides some of the Top Players, who are you looking forward to the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Oh absolutely, the U18s are a HUGE loss, especially for certain fronts like the non-traditional hockey countries and the USNTDP. Has it been cancelled though? All I know is that WC for Womens was cancelled by IIHF.

It's still a pain for us because I really want to see how many points Lafreniere would've amassed during the season and the top players in the OHL.
Yeah they cancelled all the tournaments. IMO hockey is done for until the fall

IIHF - IIHF cancels U18 Worlds

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
So, given the cancellations of hockey everywhere, are we expecting a good draft for the Avs this year, or a bad draft for the Avs this year? Based off of their, say, two most recent drafts and their tendencies in picking players.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I said this a while ago but the draft is going to be the most wide open as we’ve seen in over a decade. Scouting improves more and more with each year. This means more success on your picks especially early on. On the player side, training and increased time on ice has lead to players being much more developed at 18. Kids aren’t quite as raw so you have a better idea of what you’re getting as opposed to everyone being a big risk.

These things combined have drastically dropped the frequency of those Datsyuk finds in late rounds. This draft I expect to see some of those return.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
If Schneider is gone, would Niemela by a good fallback if an RD is the target? I like what I have seen so far (which likely will be all we see).

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Why do people think that a target would be a RHD prospect, or a defensive prospect in general? Just trying to understand the logic. From my perspective, it would seem like a skilled forward prospect would be more of a need. Given where the selection will fall, I am not sure that the BPA philosophy will be in play, although it still could be I suppose. I would expect to see some surprise risers and fallers.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This would be a very good draft to focus on European players. Theres a real good chance they've been quite underscored at this point and if you've got some guys you like from countries like Germany, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Swtizerland.... Hell even Finland and Sweden really. It's a good year to take some risk on their guys that you like because they could prove to be fantastic value in the later rounds especially.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Why do people think that a target would be a RHD prospect, or a defensive prospect in general? Just trying to understand the logic. From my perspective, it would seem like a skilled forward prospect would be more of a need. Given where the selection will fall, I am not sure that the BPA philosophy will be in play, although it still could be I suppose. I would expect to see some surprise risers and fallers.
I agree with that.

Looking at the prospect depth at each position below, what I think is clear is that we have high-end prospects in all positions except perhaps on the wings. Though we have many decent wingers most of our wing prospects top out at middle-6 forwards (at best).

For that reason I could see a forward being the choice in the 1st round, particularly one who is more of a skill-type guy rather than a grafter. I could certainly see a high-risk, high-reward pick being made on a forward with question marks but with high upside.

That said, calls for a RHD are pretty reasonable too in light of Timmins' situation, so I think that viewpoint has it's merits too.

Wing
Kaut
Kovalenko
O'Connor
Ranta
Mutala
Beaucage

Center
Newhook
Bowers
Kamenev
Morrison

LHD
Byram
Zhuravlyov

RHD
Timmins
Hellesson

Goalie
Annunen
Werner

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Avs have close connections with the Wheat Kings and know Schneider as good as any other player for this draft. That's why he's been talked about fairly often and also I don't think you can rely on Timmins either. If anything has taught us something, it was Joey Hishon in which anything with a serious head injury is just to unstable and unpredictable. Good chance that Timmins will face some tough cheques in his future career as all players do. He might be one more hard hit from being out for another six months or longer. I wish him all the success and I want him to be part of our core, but I also suggest everyone here should view him as a complimentary player and not major piece to replace EJ.

We may need some snipers and some feisty kiss with size
I agree that we need a sniper/goalscorer and Peterka is the definition of that, but you never draft for need in the NHL. Hockey is just too different when it comes to adding future players, all the teams who drafted for need always end up regretting it even though the player they picked was still an NHL all-star.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Yo, if Braden Schneider drops to our spot, I'd be running up to the podium to snag him. He'd be the perfect cherry on top of our future defensive corps, and if Timmins doesn't pan out due to injury, then Schneider is as good of a replacement as you can get. Plus I love the snarl in his game and think he would be perfect next to Sammy G.

Reactions: Patagonia

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Personally, I think targeting an RD could be wise. In the system now, we have: Makar...set for as long as we can pay him; EJ...getting long in the tooth, may be a buyout candidate come expansion draft time; Timmins...could be great, should be great, might be one hit from retirement; Helleson...could turn out solid, many are skeptical; Clurman...still a long shot; and that is it. Oh yeah, Mark Alt. Not sure we count him as more than a emergency call up. So right now, we have TWO NHL level RDs, one of which may not last much longer. Then we have a prospect that seems to have the skill, but may not be durable. Another prospect that we hope has the skill, but many think he doesn't. And one that most of us think is AHL bound at best. Say Timmins stays healthy. Great, he can replace EJ. And who is our RD3? None of the others are sure bets, so we need to take another one with a high enough pick to have a decent chance of being an NHLer. And in the not-rare chance that none of them can step into that 2RD role...we have a huge hole.

IMO, right D is the hardest position in hockey to fill in trade/FA (if you want quality). Overall...yes, 1G or 1C can be harder....but I would argue that 1RD is hardest, and 3RD is harder than 3G or 3C. Luckily, we have a 1C, and a 1RD. And potentially a couple 1LDs, though our 2/3LDs might be pricing themselves off the team, or aging out, so getting a solid pipeline there would be good too.

I get the desire for a top6 winger. Either a sniper, or a banger with enough skill to hang in that role. But it is easier to fill that role through other means, and even later in the draft, we can take flyers on high risk/reward guys to fill out the forward lines. Defense needs to be a bit more certain, I feel.

Reactions: Richard88

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Because our right side is one big question mark behind Cale. If we could turn injuries off then we'd be loaded, as we could trust EJ to hold the fort until Timmins arrived. But we can't turn injuries off, so we can't bank on EJ or Timmins.

Which is why some of us would love another highend blueline prospect to hedge things on our blueline & ensure that our top 4 eventually becomes a big strength again.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’m coming around to the idea of drafting a RHD. I like a forward option too, but it wouldn’t hurt to have another defender in our system.

The impact Makar and Girard had on our team this year has changed my opinion on how much defenceman effect the game.

This upcoming draft is all about trying to get one, or two NHLers to provide cheap depth on the roster.

The Avs need to keep MacKinnon, Rantanen, Girard, Makar, Byram, and Newhook. They have to pay those guys as core pieces, providing Byram and Newhook live up to the hype.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I’m coming around to the idea of drafting a RHD. I like a forward option too, but it wouldn’t hurt to have another defender in our system.

The impact Makar and Girard had on our team this year has changed my opinion on how much defenceman effect the game.

This upcoming draft is all about trying to get one, or two NHLers to provide cheap depth on the roster.

The Avs need to keep MacKinnon, Rantanen, Girard, Makar, Byram, and Newhook. They have to pay those guys as core pieces, providing Byram and Newhook live up to the hype.

AVs should consider a RHD with size to partner with Girard and would love Schneider. Doubt he falls outside the Top 20. Range of 20-31 RHD only other option would be Barron which struggled this year.

BPA in this range is mostly LHD: Guhle/Poirer/Wallinder/Kuznetsov or Forward: Perreault/Reichel/Neigbours. I like Perreault if available, but rather the AVs choose the BPA which would be another LHD.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
AVs should consider a RHD with size to partner with Girard and would love Schneider. Doubt he falls outside the Top 20. Range of 20-31 RHD only other option would be Barron which struggled this year.

BPA in this range is mostly LHD: Guhle/Poirer/Wallinder/Kuznetsov or Forward: Perreault/Reichel/Neigbours. I like Perreault if available, but rather the AVs choose the BPA which would be another LHD.
Ryan O’Rourke:dunno:

Reactions: Patagonia

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017

Helge Grans

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Thoughts on Niemela? I asked earlier, but no responses. Or do you consider him too much of a reach at 29? (29OA is where we would pick based on league standing right now).

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Thoughts on Niemela? I asked earlier, but no responses. Or do you consider him too much of a reach at 29? (29OA is where we would pick based on league standing right now).

Niemelä is one of the best Finnish defenceman's who's eligible 2020 NHL draft.
But he's not only Eemil Viro and Joni Jurmo are also interesting names.

But a lot depends on that what Avalanche are looking for 2020 NHL draft.
If Sakic wants dman i can see Niemelä, Viro and Jurmo being options.

But if Sakic wants forward
then Kasper Simontaival, Roni Hirvonen, Veeti Miettinen and Roby Järventie
could be potential targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad