Prospect Info: The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread: Part II

Which player are you considering the most at 27th overall currently?

• Rodion Amirov, LW [Salavat Yulaev Ufa, KHL]

• Brendan Brisson, C [Chicago Steel, USHL]

• Dylan Holloway, LW [University of Wisconsin, NCAA]

• Jan Mysak, LW [Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL]

• Jake Neighbours, LW [Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL]

• Jacob Perreault, C [Sarnia Sting, OHL]

• John-Jason Peterka, LW [EHC Munchen, DEL]

• Jeremie Poirier, D [Saint John Sea Dogs, LHJMQ]

• William Wallinder, D [Modo Hockey, Allsvenskan]

• Other [List Below]

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Sharing my comprehensive draft plan for the Avalanche. How I see the draft unfolding for them and some targets/strategies. Definitely less info this year but I’ve done one since 2016 so thought I’d mention.

Colorado Avalanche 2020 Draft Plan - Burgundy Review
Interesting takes, and overall good overview.

The things that jump out at me are the options for the 75th pick... If we select Aucoin/Rolston/Sacco there that would be extremely disappointing and big reaches.

With our 100+ pick I doubt Jurmo will be anywhere near available. 6'4'' Dmen with his skating don't last very long in the draft. A lot of rankings have him in the early 3rd round, but I would suspect that he goes in the mid to late 2nd round.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Interesting takes, and overall good overview.

The things that jump out at me are the options for the 75th pick... If we select Aucoin/Rolston/Sacco there that would be extremely disappointing and big reaches.

With our 100+ pick I doubt Jurmo will be anywhere near available. 6'4'' Dmen with his skating don't last very long in the draft. A lot of rankings have him in the early 3rd round, but I would suspect that he goes in the mid to late 2nd round.
I don’t disagree. I put the nepotism names on the list to have it on record. And I know the sleepers are more a stab in the dark.

Reactions: Richard88

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I’m worried about this draft. I’m worried Holloway might be a Compher clone. I’m worried Neighbors might be a Compher clone but with drastically inferior skating. I have a fear that they’d pass on Peterka to take another version of Connor Bleackley.

I hope I’m wrong but I have a feeling it’s going to be another Connor Bleackley at 25 this year.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
I'm hoping for another euro league kid.. Peterka, Hirvonen, Amirov, reichel, gunler. Or someone who is of stocky build (unsure who that would be)

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
My darkhorse pick for the Avs at 25 is Ozzy Weisblatt. He actually is my pick for a prospect to be selected much higher than expected. He could go higher than 25.

I have the same feeling about him as I did about Dellandrea heading into the draft a few years ago (fast rising and to be selected much higher than expected).

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
My darkhorse pick for the Avs at 25 is Ozzy Weisblatt. He actually is my pick for a prospect to be selected much higher than expected. He could go higher than 25.

I have the same feeling about him as I did about Dellandrea heading into the draft a few years ago (fast rising and to be selected much higher than expected).
I agree that it's surprising that people don't talk about him more. His skating and mobility is really good and he plays with a real edge always standing up for teammates. He has good scoring ability, and is also probably one of the most underated playmakers in the draft (he's like 6th in terms of primary assists per 60 or around there). Draft Dynasty has Wiesblatt at 24 if I remember correctly. Somewhere in that range anyways.

Fwiw I traded up in the Avs board mock draft from Detroit's late 2nd to take Wiesblatt at 42 which I think is great value.

DanglesFromDuchene

Sep 8, 2013
I agree that it's surprising that people don't talk about him more. His skating and mobility is really good and he plays with a real edge always standing up for teammates. He has good scoring ability, and is also probably one of the most underated playmakers in the draft (he's like 6th in terms of primary assists per 60 or around there). Draft Dynasty has Wiesblatt at 24 if I remember correctly. Somewhere in that range anyways.

Fwiw I traded up in the Avs board mock draft from Detroit's late 2nd to take Wiesblatt at 42 which I think is great value.
Doesn't he have some issues with his skating? I thought I remember reading that some parts of his skating are great but some are worrisome. And for a guy his size, it needs to be pretty great
Edit: Thinking more on it, it's very possible I'm thinking of a different player. I'll have to look into it later.

Last edited:

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018

This discusses his skating. It more or less says it’s excellent functionally even though his stride a little unusual.

Also, it’s worth noting that he filtered on pts per 20 minutes so comparisons are apples to apples. In this regard, he was the 6th highest scorer.

This video also makes the point that his team plays a slower pace vs, say, Sudbury. So he’s putting up points in spite of this.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
There appear to be questions about Brisson's skating/speed from what I've read. Other than that, he sounds like someone the Avs would really like. Pronman has him ranked 15th and Button threw out a PLD comparison:

Craig Button's Analysis

"Plays with a determined approach and his sense for the game, its situations and his skills, allows him to contribute in all areas. He's improved so much in three years and will only get better with time."

Projection:
Complete No. 2 Centre
Comparable: Pierre-Luc Dubois

Brendan Brisson - Centre - TSN.ca

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I trust Yanic St Pierre more than I trust Craig Button.

Perhaps I’m too cynical, but I wonder if his status is elevated due to his dad.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Good. Though... It's concerning that the previous approach before now wasn't "Pick the best player on our list".

Should never, never, never be drafting based on need in the first round. That could easily lead to a situation where you take oh say someone like Connor Bleackley with the 23rd pick and watch David Pastrnak go 24th.

Barron would be phenomenal IMO. I also don't hate the Brisson idea. Elite Prospects little snippet on him had one scout say he was the best problem solver in the draft no named Lafrenniere.... Sounds like a solid skill to have IMO.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
They say the same thing every year... sense, speed, skill... and they still draft players like Beaucage. They are buzzwords... just like BPA.

Also, Brisson is damn good. I'd be thrilled with him at 25.

Reactions: Balthazar

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I trust Yanic St Pierre more than I trust Craig Button.

Perhaps I’m too cynical, but I wonder if his status is elevated due to his dad.

I don't know who Yanic St Pierre is and I'm not about to watch a 20 min video on Brisson but there are plenty of people who speak highly of him. Button, Pronman, and the people at Hockey Prospect to name a few. The latter two have Brisson in their top 15.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
If Amirov and Reichel are off the board, Brisson is who I want. He's a smart player with a lot of skill. If Button is right that Brisson will continue on a steep developmental upswing, he'd be a great pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad