Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
So according to the new draft odds there is a 76% chance we pick 7th.

6.5% we pick 3rd, and 17.5% at 8th.

IMO, there is a clear top-6 this year so not ideal. Holtz would be my clear 7th but not sure his style of play as a goal scoring winger is as needed with Skinner and Olofsson compared to other guys.

Last edited:

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I have not changed my point of view on the draft. I think there are 3 clearly good options --Lafreniere, then Byfield and Stutzle and then throw a dart for the next 10 or so. I know the problem is that we often focus on a player's flaws to the extent we overlook his qualities. Maybe I am guilty of that but I would trade #7 in a heart beat for the right player on the right contract.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

IMO, there is a clear top-6 this year so not ideal. Holtz would be my clear 7th but not sure his style of play as a goal scoring winger is as needed with Skinner and Olofsson compared to other guys.
Who is your top 6 because if Perfetti is there at 7 that is a steal. Outside of Lafreniere no one can say that any of the other players will turn out better then anyone else in the top 10 grouping.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Going off the 5 unified rankings on Elite Prospects, things are more wide open than that.

Between HockeyProspect.com, Future Considerations, ISS Hockey, McKeen's, and Elite Prospects, they only have three players in the top 6 of all five rankings (AL, Byfield, & Raymond) and one more player that was top 6 in 4 out of 5 (Stutzle).

Worst case scenario is that Drysdale is the guy that slides to the Sabres at 7.

:help:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Who is your top 6 because if Perfetti is there at 7 that is a steal. Outside of Lafreniere no one can say that any of the other players will turn out better then anyone else in the top 10 grouping.

I have a feeling that 5 of the top 6 picks will be AL, Byfield, Raymond, Stutzle, & Drysdale.

That will mean that one of Rossi & Perfetti are there at 7 for Botts to pass up on and drive us all nuts.

:sarcasm:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
This couldn't get more Buffalo: two divisional teams have a 100% (Detroit) and 74.5% (Ottawa) of picking top-2. And Ottawa has a 68% chance of picking twice in the top-3. :laugh: :cry:

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020

Tier 1: Lafreniere
Tier 2: Byfield, Stutzle, Raymond
Tier 3: Rossi, Drysdale, (Could see the argument for Holtz too)

Not a big fan of Perfetti personally. Think his strength, top speed, defensive consistency holds him back from becoming an elite player. He has tons of potential, but also the highest bust potential in the top-10 IMO.

No one can predict anything for sure obviously, but I feel a lot more confident in the top-6 guys than the ones left in the 7/8+ range.

Going off the 5 unified rankings on Elite Prospects, things are more wide open than that.

Between HockeyProspect.com, Future Considerations, ISS Hockey, McKeen's, and Elite Prospects, they only have three players in the top 6 of all five rankings (AL, Byfield, & Raymond) and one more player that was top 6 in 4 out of 5 (Stutzle).

Worst case scenario is that Drysdale is the guy that slides to the Sabres at 7.

:help:

Yeah reports vary, was strictly talking imo where the tiers are.

I think Drysdale at 7 would be a fine pick. I know we need offense but Drysdale's skating and vision makes it hard for me to not see him become a top-4 (and likely top pair) defenseman one day. Would prefer him to Holtz but it is close.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I have no problem with it. It's how the draft should be.

Not my point. I'm noting that it's unfortunate that the odds changes greatly aid two teams, and both are in our division. With how tight the bottom of the standings were, this is a big boon to the Sens because it eliminates the possibility that both Ottawa and/or the Sharks could have moved out of the top-5, and provides Detroit with the certainty that it previously lacked under the rules as they existed as recently as last week.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Since we're probably picking 7 and no lower than 8, post your top 8:

1. Laf
2. Byfield
3. Stutzle
4. Drysdale
5. Rossi
6. Raymond
7. Perfetti
8. Holtz

Subject to change as I watch more of these guys

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
The NHL clearly wants to do a June draft, using the old lottery format where there is one winner and you can only jump 4 spots. While this would mean we have no shot at a top 3 pick, it also means we can't drop lower in the standings. So 7th.
I definitely like that we couldn’t drop lower than 7th, but it would suck if Detroit picked #1 and Ottawa picked #2 and #3 (as it currently sits).
I’m not crazy about the idea of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd overall picks in this draft all ending up in our division.

It would be pretty damn cool to get a #7 overall pick, then still get the chance at a playoff appearance though.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I definitely like that we can’t drop lower than 7th, but it would suck if Detroit picked #1 and Ottawa picked #2 and #3 (as it currently sits).
I’m not crazy about the idea of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd overall picks in this draft all ending up in our division.

Yup we are going to get passed by Ottawa very soon. Detroit definitely closes the gap on us with Lafreniere too. Also can't see how we're going to be better than Tampa Bay and Toronto in the foreseeable future. Boston is Boston.

Buffalo needs to start hitting on these 7/8 picks if they want to make the playoffs in the next 5+ years.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
We’ve been last three time since 2012 and had odds in the twenties of picking first all three times.

Detroit has a 57 percent chance. Detroit and Ottawa are guaranteed to get three of the top 4 picks.

Don’t worry though...

Next year when we are last again it will be back in the 20s.

They should change the picture on out odds from the percentage to a middle finger.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Yup we are going to get passed by Ottawa very soon. Detroit definitely closes the gap on us with Lafreniere too. Also can't see how we're going to be better than Tampa Bay and Toronto in the foreseeable future. Boston is Boston.

Buffalo needs to start hitting on these 7/8 picks if they want to make the playoffs in the next 5+ years.
I am going to try and say this as delicately as possible with respect to the thread ground rules: Buffalo needs to examine why outside of the two gimmies in Jack and Dahlin their drafts have constantly been so poor despite always having a high pick in every round, figure out the reason why this is, and then take corrective action.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not my point. I'm noting that it's unfortunate that the odds changes greatly aid two teams, and both are in our division. With how tight the bottom of the standings were, this is a big boon to the Sens because it eliminates the possibility that both Ottawa and/or the Sharks could have moved out of the top-5, and provides Detroit with the certainty that it previously lacked under the rules as they existed as recently as last week.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Since we're probably picking 7 and no lower than 8, post your top 8:

1. Laf
2. Byfield
3. Stutzle
4. Drysdale
5. Rossi
6. Raymond
7. Perfetti
8. Holtz

Subject to change as I watch more of these guys

If the top 6 is like this and we pick 7, is it crazy to want to trade down 3 spots and take Holloway? ‘Cause that’s where I’m at this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad