The 2019 off-season thread: There's money to spend and Joey Crabb's retired

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Is he a jerk in real life too?

Something about him and A. Matthews rubs me the wrong way.
Funny b/c i feel the exact same way about those two. I have hypothesized that it's b/c they are late millennial Americans who grew up in the new sports culture that's heavily influenced by basketball.
  • Showing overconfidence and never deferring to another guy. E.g. when Eichel refused to compliment McDavid at the combine and referred to himself as most NHL player in the draft)
  • Having an intense, posturing goal celebration. Like not smiling, just fist pumping and yelling "Let's Goooooo" like bball players do after a big basket. Matthews does this more than anybody else in the league.
  • Not being shy about getting their money. Both Eichel and Matthews fought hard to be overpaid, which doesn't usually happen in hockey.
  • Eichel had that LeBron-esque thing where he got his coach fired
  • Eichel used to have his own line of merch where it was like 40 bucks for a t shirt with some dumbly serious graphic of him on it
Then you juxtapose that with them reserved, soft-spoken Canadians and Euros who share their cohort (McDavid, Draisaitl, Barkov, MacKinnon). Drouin and Jones are funny cus they're reversed in this situation, but I think the theory makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaos2k7

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Is he a jerk in real life too?

Something about him and A. Matthews rubs me the wrong way.
i didnt say anything to him, i was with my gf after grabbing dinner at aruba. he was with his gf and either her mom or his mom. i was staring at him like......what??? why is jack eichel here of all places?? i look down and hes wearing LV slip on shoes (loafers?) and im like yeah, dudes totally jack eichel, ok thats super random. you could tell his gf was well off too (after signing for 10mil a year it doesnt exactly boggle the mind). just thought it was funny lol must train down here or on vacation, i wouldnt blame the guy from getting out of buffalo when he can

guys 6'2 200lb, hes big, looks like a college football jock, wont say hes a jerk...but hes got that look to him i suppose.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
i didnt say anything to him, i was with my gf after grabbing dinner at aruba. he was with his gf and either her mom or his mom. i was staring at him like......what??? why is jack eichel here of all places?? i look down and hes wearing LV slip on shoes (loafers?) and im like yeah, dudes totally jack eichel, ok thats super random. you could tell his gf was well off too (after signing for 10mil a year it doesnt exactly boggle the mind). just thought it was funny lol must train down here or on vacation, i wouldnt blame the guy from getting out of buffalo when he can

guys 6'2 200lb, hes big, looks like a college football jock, wont say hes a jerk...but hes got that look to him i suppose.

Bruh, let me buy you a beer sometime lol

Reactions: FrolikFan67

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Bruh, let me buy you a beer sometime lol
not the closest drive but not bad either, like 30 minutes. itd actually be really cool to meet someone from the boards here for the first time. we should do like an unofficial watch party sometime for the locals around here

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
not the closest drive but not bad either, like 30 minutes. itd actually be really cool to meet someone from the boards here for the first time. we should do like an unofficial watch party sometime for the locals around here

Being a former South Florida resident and season ticket owner, maybe I can FaceTime in during the watch party? lol

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Can we just offer sheet Trouba at $7 to 7.5 million and give up the 2020 1st, 2nd, 3rd and keep our 2019 1st and all of our forward prospects?

Then we can re-sign him come July no?

Luongo stays on LTIR until after deadline and comes back for the final 30 games and playoffs.

Pysyk and Reimer moved.

We have $21 million + $4.5 million of Lu + Pysyks $2.73 + Reimer @ $2.4 million (1 mil retained) leaves us with 30 million. 23 million after Trouba, get Bob and Panarin under $20 million combined and leaves us 3-4 million to re-sign some RFAs or two of the bottom 6 UFAs?

Is my math off?

Reactions: kerrabria

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Can we just offer sheet Trouba at $7 to 7.5 million and give up the 2020 1st, 2nd, 3rd and keep our 2019 1st and all of our forward prospects?

Then we can re-sign him come July no?

Luongo stays on LTIR until after deadline and comes back for the final 30 games and playoffs.

Pysyk and Reimer moved.

We have $21 million + $4.5 million of Lu + Pysyks $2.73 + Reimer @ $2.4 million (1 mil retained) leaves us with 30 million. 23 million after Trouba, get Bob and Panarin under $20 million combined and leaves us 3-4 million to re-sign some RFAs or two of the bottom 6 UFAs?

Is my math off?

We're probably bringing back two of Sheahan/McGinn/Brower. Also you need to add the RFAs like Weegar who'll get a raise, McCoshen, Malgin.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
We're probably bringing back two of Sheahan/McGinn/Brower. Also you need to add the RFAs like Weegar who'll get a raise, McCoshen, Malgin.

Trade Sceviour then? His savings pay for one of the 3 you mentioned.

McGinn wont command a big deal coming off an injury filled season. Maybe a 1yr - $1 million deal to prove he can still play high level.

Sheahan probably 2 yrs - $1.35 million

Brow - 1yr - 900k.

3.25 million total. Dont see McCoshen or Malgin on the roster at all.
Weegar probably gets 1-2yrs at $1.1 to 1.2 million max?

Reactions: Beezeral

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

McGinn wont command a big deal coming off an injury filled season. Maybe a 1yr - $1 million deal to prove he can still play high level.

Brow - 1yr - 900k.

Something like that yeah. We do need warm bodies though to fill up the roster, I don't think Scevs is going anywhere. McGinn probably walks.

Either way you're looking at something like 5-6 million added cap space in total.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

kerrabria

May 3, 2018

Brow - 1yr - 900k.

I have a hard time believing McGinn won't get more money and an extra year from another team. He had a strong showing when he came back, and his playing style is a rare, highly sought commodity. Plus, I doubt he cares enough about the Panthers to leave a cent on the table.

Sheahan commands more I think. High end 4C. Gotta think he gets at least 2m on a two year deal, and I'd be willing to pay it. Idk about Weegar. Comps for RFA ~24 year-old bottom pair dmen in the past have been higher though.

Agree that McCoshen is a write-off and that Maglin is done as a Panther. Although I love the idea of offersheeting Trouba for one year.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I would be shocked if it wasn't Brouwer and Sheahan. We need a 4C, and Brouwer won the cup with Q. Plus, McGinn is probably gonna get twice as much on the market as Brouwer.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

Brow - 1yr - 900k.
I wouldn't want any of them for more than 1M each.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Does anyone else see the parallel of the Panthers going for Panarin compared to the Leafs with Tavares? The Leafs went for Tavares, despite needing better defense, which ended up killing them? I guess if we move one of our other forwards, then it won't be as bad?

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Does anyone else see the parallel of the Panthers going for Panarin compared to the Leafs with Tavares? The Leafs went for Tavares, despite needing better defense, which ended up killing them? I guess if we move one of our other forwards, then it won't be as bad?

Panarin isn't a locker room cancer that I know of.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

And Kadri is an idiot.

And Nylander is an out of shape rusty holdout.

And Marleau is an unmovable dinosaur.

And that Babcock refuses to play Matthews more minutes.

And that he didnt deploy Marner Tavares Matthews

And Andersen choked.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
After one year of an anomally good PP, do we actually think that we have a good offense?

The Leafs were 5th in 5v5 goals, then 2nd. And 5th and 4th in total goal scored before adding Tavares, they had established a good offense.
We were 10th in 5v5 goals, then 17th. And 13th and 9th in total goal scored.

We have a slightly above average offense, but it's not comparable at all. We are still a one-line team and last year we had a great PP, but PP isn't a very stable thing years in and years out.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

Brow - 1yr - 900k.

I would be shocked if we can actually LTIR luongo. He played all the way to the end of the season and all this talk between him and Tallon about thinking what to do next season... It would be way too blatant that they are trying to circumvent the cap.

People talk about hossa, but he had a real serious issue for several years that required nasty medications to deal with during his last year. I don't think it's comparable to Lu.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Apparently the coach of Team Switzerland made some comment on Malgin apparently not 100 percent interested in playing for SUI.

He said on Social Media that he is always interested in playing for Switzerland ...But it was not his decision..

This is interesting..

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
After one year of an anomally good PP, do we actually think that we have a good offense?

The Leafs were 5th in 5v5 goals, then 2nd. And 5th and 4th in total goal scored before adding Tavares, they had established a good offense.
We were 10th in 5v5 goals, then 17th. And 13th and 9th in total goal scored.

We have a slightly above average offense, but it's not comparable at all. We are still a one-line team and last year we had a great PP, but PP isn't a very stable thing years in and years out.

The team was disorganized under Boughner when it came to 5v5. I'd expect a bump in production just by having a better system and a coach.

But also Tavares although being a great regular season player wasn't as dynamic in the playoffs. I'd take Panarin over Tavaris tbh.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Apparently the coach of Team Switzerland made some comment on Malgin apparently not 100 percent interested in playing for SUI.

He said on Social Media that he is always interested in playing for Switzerland ...But it was not his decision..

This is interesting..

Don't know why Malgin would be "banned" from playing by Tallon and co. Not like we are concerned about his health over the summer lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad