The 2019 off-season thread: There's money to spend and Joey Crabb's retired

Status
Not open for further replies.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Last season he had 34 points, that's garbage.

It's still 50 point pace over a full season. It's below his average/expected total but at his cap hit, anything over 50 points per year is below market value for sure. He also had a serious injury, so to still be at a 50 point pace is quite decent imo.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
It's still 50 point pace over a full season. It's below his average/expected total but at his cap hit, anything over 50 points per year is below market value for sure. He also had a serious injury, so to still be at a 50 point pace is quite decent imo.
50 points with the minutes/teammates he has and the complete lack of defense he plays isn't good. I don't mind at all giving him another chance, but if he has another bad year and Hoffman buts up another 30+30 in his new home the narrative of him will change.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Who did you have in mind to replace Tro's spot if we did ship him out?
We have no one, so that's the issue. If Tro doesn't improve, we have to hope that Borg takes a huge step, but that's even more uncertain than Tro getting some of his mojo back.

Panarin can drive a line's production like Barkov can, so it might be possible for Panarin to make Tro or Borg work. But that's assuming he's not on a line with Barkov and that we get him.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Last season he had 34 points, that's garbage.

He had a major injury and you said how many stinkers in a row he need that we don't consider him a player anymore.

He had an awful season. 1 season. I'll give him a pass because the extent of his injury

Again.. you implied like he's had several "stinker" seasons in a row

Sure his defensive play has to improve. He needs to use his linemates more.

I've seen him ranked 13-20th best center in the league before this season

The definitive ranking of the NHL’s top 20 centres over three seasons - Sportsnet.ca

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
When was the last time we got max effort Trocheck though? 3 years ago when we last made the playoffs. The past three years, there's been a fundamental change in the way he plays. The things that made us fall in love with him; tenacity, hitting, evolving to a really good 2-way player (this especially pains me because I was so proud of him) and leaving everything on the ice on every shift, those things are now only there when he wants them to be. That's the frustrating part, everyone knows what he's capable of, yet he by all accounts willingly chooses to go where the fence is at its lowest. Okay the second half of this season is a wash since he was clearly playing hurt, but prior to the injury he was playing the same way as 2016-18.

It's weird that you're trying to make fun of Bjugstad, when Bjugstad actually dug himself up from irrelevancy and became one of our better 2-way players the past 2 years (Boughner did a lot wrong, but whipping Nick to get his career back on track is one thing I'll give him credit for). Meanwhile Trocheck's 2-way play and effort level has gone down the drain. Yes, I know Trocheck is clearly the more dangerous player offensively, but that can only take you so far when you're making bad decisions with & without the puck and neglecting the other end of the ice.

Maybe Q can wake him up, because right now it looks like he cares more about his invidual points, than the team winning.

Q will get the most out of him I am sure. Decide in camp on which two wingers will fit best and let the top 6 play. Q already mentioned Huby can improve in the D zone, which he can, I am sure he is not going to be silent on Trochecks film from last season either.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
He had a major injury and you said how many stinkers in a row he need that we don't consider him a player anymore.
He had an awful season. 1 season. I'll give him a pass because the extent of his injury
Again.. you implied like he's had several "stinker" seasons in a row
Sure his defensive play has to improve. He needs to use his linemates more.
I've seen him ranked 13-20th best center in the league before this season
The definitive ranking of the NHL’s top 20 centres over three seasons - Sportsnet.ca
His season was heading towards thrash before his injury and it didn't changed once he was back.
Also, I'm saying his production rate at 5v5 is decreasing, that's just a fact. It doesn't mean that I think he's had a lot of stinkers in a row yet, just that it's not surprising to see a season like he just had.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
We have no one, so that's the issue. If Tro doesn't improve, we have to hope that Borg takes a huge step, but that's even more uncertain than Tro getting some of his mojo back.
I meant if you had an ideal center we should target in free agency or via trade using Tro as part of a deal, otherwise yeah like you said, using Borg at #2 spot is even more risky.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Yes, Tro had a bad year, which included a horrific injury.

But, I believe the team was 9-13-5 during the 2 month stretch without him. Of course the team had other issues, but you can’t say Tro’s not a good player or that the team’s better without him. Cats were on a 7 game losing streak, he came back, and the team then went 4-1 (against all playoff teams).

On top of that, he really has one of the best bargain contracts in the whole league and many teams would give significant assets up for him. You obviously can’t turn down Bob or Panarin if they want in, regardless of their contract demands are (unless Bob is asking for $10m+).

Dale’s gonna have to get creative and find a way to get a top 4 pairing D-man for $6m or less, unless he trades one of Ekblad/Matheson.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i think tro will bounce back from this years production, itd be hard not to. im still worried about his defensive game, hopefully Q helps with that, and more importantly his lack of utilizing his wingers. literally all he did this season was go wide right and hope to snipe the short side corner. every time. or attempt to stick handle through 4 guys without much success. he can pass when he wants to, he just never wants to. he did a little more with huberdeau with him because huberdeau would just pass it back. barkov and huberdeau need to stay together. i wont hold my breath on panarin coming here, i hope so, but i think they target bob more, nyr i think is a big competitor for panarin. IF we got him id be curious to try him with tro. idk if hoff, dads, or vatrano, i dont think any of them are that great of fits with trocheck. dads more so than the other two. Huberdeau with barkov, panarin with tro, dads with borg (assuming they trade hoff if we sign bread). would be curious to see different combos, you could spread it out.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Yes, Tro had a bad year, which included a horrific injury.

But, I believe the team was 9-13-5 during the 2 month stretch without him. Of course the team had other issues, but you can’t say Tro’s not a good player or that the team’s better without him. Cats were on a 7 game losing streak, he came back, and the team then went 4-1 (against all playoff teams).

On top of that, he really has one of the best bargain contracts in the whole league and many teams would give significant assets up for him. You obviously can’t turn down Bob or Panarin if they want in, regardless of their contract demands are (unless Bob is asking for $10m+).

Dale’s gonna have to get creative and find a way to get a top 4 pairing D-man for $6m or less, unless he trades one of Ekblad/Matheson.
Tro was also able to take some minutes away from Sasha when he returned which helped Sasha look fresh & stellar.

-ghoste

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Tro was also able to take some minutes away from Sasha when he returned which helped Sasha look fresh & stellar.

-ghoste

Absolutely. If you just check Barkov’s stats you’ll see they weren’t great and then took off immediately once Tro came back from injury.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
i think tro will bounce back from this years production, itd be hard not to. im still worried about his defensive game, hopefully Q helps with that, and more importantly his lack of utilizing his wingers. literally all he did this season was go wide right and hope to snipe the short side corner. every time. or attempt to stick handle through 4 guys without much success. he can pass when he wants to, he just never wants to. he did a little more with huberdeau with him because huberdeau would just pass it back. barkov and huberdeau need to stay together. i wont hold my breath on panarin coming here, i hope so, but i think they target bob more, nyr i think is a big competitor for panarin. IF we got him id be curious to try him with tro. idk if hoff, dads, or vatrano, i dont think any of them are that great of fits with trocheck. dads more so than the other two. Huberdeau with barkov, panarin with tro, dads with borg (assuming they trade hoff if we sign bread). would be curious to see different combos, you could spread it out.

I think Q will correct a lot of this team’s issues, including Tro

I’m not sure if we’ll target one of Panarin/Bob more than the other. Based on what we’ve heard and seen since the season ended, I actually feel confident we’ll spend whatever we have to for them.

Although I do want Bob (and think the team needs him), I’m curious what Q’s evaluation of Montembault is. His stats weren’t that great, but he looked decent from what I remember (maybe I’m just blinded from watching Reimer).

If you don’t sign Bob you could theoretically keep Hoff and get a top 4 defenseman, although I’m unsure of the math.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Here's an idea I had that would probably never happen, but I'd be interested to know you guys think.
to PIT: Dadonov, Matheson
to FLA: Murray, Maatta

Dadonov: If there's anywhere he'd waive his NMC to go, it's probably Pittsburgh. There's talk of Kessel being shipped out of PIT too, so Dadonov could be a wanted replacement on Malkin's RW.
Matheson: From what Hawks fans have said, it sounds like Q won't have much patience for Matheson's brain farts. Although Sullivan would probably cream his pants to get his hands on a Letang clone. We clear his cap and replace him with a cheaper, more reliable defenseman who better fits our needs.
Murray: Solves our goaltending long term without the risk of Bob.
Maatta: Horribly miscast in Pittsburgh, and his two-way, cerebral style should mesh well with the cats who won't force him to be a stay-at-home-but-also-perpetually-roaming dman having to cover for his defensively inept partners in a system that plays to his weaknesses.

I don't think it would happen because I can't see Rutherford wanting to part with Murray, even if he still has Jarry and DeSmith, and I don't know if Panarin comes here without Bob. But this would leave us with playoff caliber forwards, goalies, and 15m+ in cap and plenty of assets to get a RHD like Trouba and round out the bottom 6.

Last edited:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Here's an idea I had that would probably never happen, but I'd be interested to know you guys think.
to PIT: Dadonov, Matheson
to FLA: Murray, Maatta

Dadonov: If there's anywhere he'd waive his NMC to go, it's probably Pittsburgh. There's talk of Kessel being shipped out of PIT too, so Dadonov could be a wanted replacement on Malkin's RW.
Matheson: From what Hawks fans have said, it sounds like Q won't have much patience for Matheson's brain farts. Although Sullivan would probably cream his pants to get his hands on a Letang clone. We clear his cap and replace him with a cheaper, more reliable defenseman who better fits our needs.
Murray: Solves our goaltending long term without the risk of Bob.
Maatta: Horribly miscast in Pittsburgh, and his two-way, cerebral style should mesh well with the cats who won't force him to be a stay-at-home-but-also-perpetually-roaming dman having to cover for his defensively inept partners in a system that plays to his weaknesses.

I don't think it would happen because I can't see Rutherford wanting to part with Murray, even if he still has Jarry and DeSmith, and I don't know if Panarin comes here without Bob. But this would leave us with playoff caliber forwards, goalies, and 15m+ in cap and plenty of assets to get a RHD like Trouba and round out the bottom 6.

No

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Last summer much of the talk was that Troch should be the next Captain....
I think Vinny will bounce back. Idk, seemed to be trying to do to much early this season, perhaps trying to live up to all of the off-season's hype. Definitely seemed to try to be superman too often, instead of making smarter plays. The frustration was evident and he didn't handle it well. An off-season for his leg to fully recover and Q bringing a more stable plan of attack/defending should help his game immensely.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Is he a jerk in real life too?

Something about him and A. Matthews rubs me the wrong way.
Actually I met Eichel a few hours before he was drafted, he was very receptive and friendly, more than any other that I met that day except for Kypreos and Ken Holland.

Reactions: Chaos2k7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->