The 2019 off-season thread: There's money to spend and Joey Crabb's retired

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
How many stinkers in a row would you need before you realize he's not that player anymore? 3 years in a row? 4 years? 5 years?

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
there has to be a breaking point

what if Tro scores 100 and still plays the game in a way you don't like? 120? 130?

at some point you have to say that that's good enough even with his faults

for me it's 75. It's 60 points for a guy making sub 5.

He brings up that points during 5v5 total up and points everywhere else down then I'll agree.

Theres a reason why Laine isnt that highly regarded. Points isnt everything. He cant even produced at a high level at 5v5.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
He brings up that points during 5v5 total up and points everywhere else down then I'll agree.

Theres a reason why Laine isnt that highly regarded. Points isnt everything. He cant even produced at a high level at 5v5.

Some were voting him as captain. There's a lot more he brings that stats can't measure.

He's a puck hog but he busts his ass out there for the team unlike many other.

Again what are we expecting from a sub 5 player. At that price how he gets his points should be a non factor.

Reactions: Chaos2k7 and Mase

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

what if scores 100 just through PP?

I mean it doesn't make sense. At some point you have to say he's worth his money.

Reactions: Mase

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
what if scores 100 just through PP?

I mean it doesn't make sense. At some point you have to say he's worth his money.

That's an extreme example that will never happen so you cant appropriately judge that.

But I'd take a 60 point guy all 5v5 than 100 all power play

As we saw with this team, being great on the power play isnt enough. Not you can get 100 points on the PP anyway lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Some were voting him as captain. There's a lot more he brings that stats can't measure.

He's a puck hog but he busts his ass out there for the team unlike many other.

Again what are we expecting from a sub 5 player. At that price how he gets his points should be a non factor.

Some. Some were wanting Gudbranson as captain too. Busting your ass doesnt boost your value. What you do when you bust your ass does.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Same guys trying to justify how Nick Bjugstad was worth more than his contract, but Trocheck a total dud...

Apparently using max effort and being an intangibles guy is only worth anything when you are 6 foot 6 and have been passed on the roster by players better than you at your own position... LOL

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Same guys trying to justify how Nick Bjugstad was worth more than his contract, but Trocheck a total dud...

Apparently using max effort and being an intangibles guy is only worth anything when you are 6 foot 6 and have been passed on the roster by players better than you at your own position... LOL
When was the last time we got max effort Trocheck though? 3 years ago when we last made the playoffs. The past three years, there's been a fundamental change in the way he plays. The things that made us fall in love with him; tenacity, hitting, evolving to a really good 2-way player (this especially pains me because I was so proud of him) and leaving everything on the ice on every shift, those things are now only there when he wants them to be. That's the frustrating part, everyone knows what he's capable of, yet he by all accounts willingly chooses to go where the fence is at its lowest. Okay the second half of this season is a wash since he was clearly playing hurt, but prior to the injury he was playing the same way as 2016-18.

It's weird that you're trying to make fun of Bjugstad, when Bjugstad actually dug himself up from irrelevancy and became one of our better 2-way players the past 2 years (Boughner did a lot wrong, but whipping Nick to get his career back on track is one thing I'll give him credit for). Meanwhile Trocheck's 2-way play and effort level has gone down the drain. Yes, I know Trocheck is clearly the more dangerous player offensively, but that can only take you so far when you're making bad decisions with & without the puck and neglecting the other end of the ice.

Maybe Q can wake him up, because right now it looks like he cares more about his invidual points, than the team winning.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
75 points a stinker

only in stats land
He had 75 points last year? What are you on about, he scored 34 in 55 games. That's absolute garbage for a second line center and even worse if you consider his "defensive" play.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
He had 75 points last year? What are you on about, he scored 34 in 55 games. That's absolute garbage for a second line center and even worse if you consider his "defensive" play.
He's talking about last season (2017-18 season), not this season. Tro was 29th best in points in the entire league last year, that's 1 point less than Patrick Kane's season that year. No one is denying Tro was absolute garbage in every way this season.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
He's talking about last season (2017-18 season), not this season. Tro was 29th best in points in the entire league last year, that's 1 point less than Patrick Kane's season that year. No one is denying Tro was absolute garbage in every way this season.
Last season he score 34 points. The season is done.

Yeah, two season ago Trocheck had an uncharacteristic spike in PP production. His 5v5 production rate kept declining, but it was offset by an uncharacteristic spike in PP production, so it's easy to miss the warning signs and get distracted by the glitter.
Unsurprisingly, last season the uncharacteristic spike in PP production did not continue, but his declining 5v5 production rate did.

Maybe it's Boughner's usage that has made Tro's production rate at 5v5 to get so low. But what if it isn't? So instead of going for Panarin+Laine, why not have a plan B for 2nd line center or at least the room for a plan B.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Last season he score 34 points. The season is done.

Yeah, two season ago Trocheck had an uncharacteristic spike in PP production. His 5v5 production rate kept declining, but it was offset by an uncharacteristic spike in PP production, so it's easy to miss the warning signs and get distracted by the glitter.
Unsurprisingly, last season the uncharacteristic spike in PP production did not continue, but his declining 5v5 production rate did.

Maybe it's Boughner's usage that has made Tro's production rate at 5v5 to get so low. But what if it isn't? So instead of going for Panarin+Laine, why not have a plan B for 2nd line center or at least the room for a plan B.
It's definitely a big concern.

Everyone played poorly in the 1st half, Bjugs-Barky / Huby-Tro weren't producing like they were the season prior that nearly got us into the playoffs. Then we demote Bjugs off the first line, reunite Huby-Barky and by Feb they completely explode. Meanwhile Tro continues doing what he was doing before the injury.....jack****.

Who did you have in mind to replace Tro's spot if we did ship him out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad