The 2019 off-season thread: There's money to spend and Joey Crabb's retired

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Just to bring a post from the other thread:

In addition to Lu, some other notable Panthers in their probable/possible final games:

James Reimer-100% trade or buyout
Jamie McGinn-UFA will not be re-signed
Troy Brouwer-UFA, I imagine Tallon wants him back though
Riley Sheahan-Like Brouwer, I think he will be back
Denis Malgin-Good chance he will not be tendered
Ian McCoshen-Good chance he will not be tendered
Mark Pysyk-If Florida wants to upgrade the 2nd pair, he'll be traded.
Mike Hoffman-we'll see how salaries shake out. Really depends on if Florida gets Panarin.

I'd like Brouwer back but otherwise I don't see any impact players here,except Hoffman of course, who might very well be back.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
#1G,
Panarin,
top4 D-man.

They need to land atleast one of them(minimun), and with the money they've given themselves would really push for 2/3.

(+ would be drafting D-men).

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Hire Q
Sign Panarin
Trade for a top-4 D
Sign bob, or, if too much, trade for another goalie.
Trade or buyout Reimer.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
What's the situation with Hoffman if Florida lands Panarin and Bobrovsky?

Would Edmonton pieces, Puljujarvi/Yamamoto/Benning, be of interest in a package for him?

Mase

Cousins.....kind of a c**t
Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
What's the situation with Hoffman if Florida lands Panarin and Bobrovsky?

Would Edmonton pieces, Puljujarvi/Yamamoto/Benning, be of interest in a package for him?

I would think that moving a player that is still under contract, especially a player that brings "plus aspects" to the game like Hoffman does, would have to be to improve the current product, no? The Cats need defense, preferably on the right-side, but defense first and foremost if they're going to move a player like Hoffman. Matt Benning has the makings of a very good young defenseman, but...respectfully...not someone you trade Hoffman for. Puljujarvi and Yamamoto are lateral moves for the Cats at this current point in time. They are good players, but aren't good fits here, IMO.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
That kids wrister is Sakic-like leathal, IMO.

I think the bottom-line question regarding Tippett is this: Do you move him for immediate defensive help and keep the proven asset in Hoffman, or do you move Hoffman for immediate defensive help and keep the "potential" asset in Tippett? Ahhhh such is the life of a GM and his job, lol.

I'd keep Tippett even if we re-sign Hoffman, can you imagine our PP with both those shots on their off wings? We have room for both Hoff and Dadonov + the other upgrades for at least one year if Lu is LTIR'd. Decide who is more valuable to re-sign between those two and go from there. Offer up picks/futures for defense help before Hoffman.

The Dadonov-Panarin bromance is nice and all but don't unload Hoffman just because of that.
Tippett will need to work on his one timer more but ya his snap-shot/wrister is lethal and his playmaking skills are underrated. Hoffman gives Tippett the additional development year in SPR if need be.

What would you do?

Mase

Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
I'd keep Tippett even if we re-sign Hoffman, can you imagine our PP with both those shots on their off wings? We have room for both Hoff and Dadonov + the other upgrades for at least one year if Lu is LTIR'd. Decide who is more valuable to re-sign between those two and go from there. Offer up picks/futures for defense help before Hoffman.

The Dadonov-Panarin bromance is nice and all but don't unload Hoffman just because of that.
Tippett will need to work on his one timer more but ya his snap-shot/wrister is lethal and his playmaking skills are underrated. Hoffman gives Tippett the additional development year in SPR if need be.

What would you do?

It really depends on...and this is just my opinion as pretend GM...what happens with Bob. If we sign Bob, then either one of Hoff or Dads has to go before the end of the year or risk losing them for nothing, with the kids(who aren't possibly moved in a trade for Trouba :naughty:) waiting in the wings to take a spot the year after. That's what contending teams, that draft well, do to keep the machine rolling.

If they hand the ball to Monty(big IF, I know), which saves you 8-10 million over the next 4-7 years, then you might have the money to possibly keep all 3(Bread, Hoff, and Dads), if one or 2 of the 3 takes a bit of a hometown discount. It's all hypothetical, but these are all scenarios that are possibly on the table, especially with the possible(I'll believe it when I see it) hiring of Q, which has OFFICIALLY upped the ante and placed a real window of 3-4 years of serious contention on this team before a major(lookin at you Tro) facet of this team has to me moved in order for the financials to work.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Mase

Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
Tyler Meyers is a RD and UFA. Only 28 and plays a relatively physical game.

Yes, he is a possibility, along with a guy like Stralman, but if the Jets are willing to let both Myers and Trouba go...no matter what they may be getting in return for Trouba...it either speaks volumes about what they have waiting in the wings to replace them on cheaper contracts, or it speaks volumes about the players not being worth what the club thinks it will take to retain them, IMO.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yes, he is a possibility, along with a guy like Stralman, but if the Jets are willing to let both Myers and Trouba go...no matter what they may be getting in return for Trouba...it either speaks volumes about what they have waiting in the wings to replace them on cheaper contracts, or it speaks volumes about the players not being worth what the club thinks it will take to retain them, IMO.

Idk if they are exactly willing to let Trouba go for whatever, but it seems they aren't too concerned with bringing Myers back. Do not want.

Reactions: Mase

Mase

Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
Idk if they are exactly willing to let Trouba go for whatever, but it seems they aren't too concerned with bringing Myers back. Do not want.

Yes, like I eluded to in my previous post, there is a reason a guy like Myers, with all that size and talent, isn't re-signed and allowed to walk when your also talking about possibly moving a guy like Jake Touba, as well. The tape will tell the story on the player, period.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It really depends on...and this is just my opinion as pretend GM...what happens with Bob. If we sign Bob, then either one of Hoff or Dads has to go before the end of the year or risk losing them for nothing, with the kids(who aren't possibly moved in a trade for Trouba :naughty:) waiting in the wings to take a spot the year after. That's what contending teams, that draft well, do to keep the machine rolling.

If they hand the ball to Monty(big IF, I know), which saves you 8-10 million over the next 4-7 years, then you might have the money to possibly keep all 3(Bread, Hoff, and Dads), if one or 2 of the 3 takes a bit of a hometown discount. It's all hypothetical, but these are all scenarios that are possibly on the table, especially with the possible(I'll believe it when I see it) hiring of Q, which has OFFICIALLY upped the ante and placed a real window of 3-4 years of serious contention on this team before a major(lookin at you Tro) facet of this team has to me moved in order for the financials to work.

Lots will depend on Luongo but feel they will force him to LTIR and they can say "surgery" and he can come back for playoffs and Monty slides down to SPR. We can be over the cap after trade deadline. Don't see Monty getting the nod unless they add two defensemen in Trouba and Manson while adding Panarin.
I get it, we all love Monty but having two great goalies is fine for 4-5 years when both will be around $9-10 million for the next 3-4 years. Monty's next deal won't be huge unless it's longterm and lower AAV. I see a two year bridge this year at 850-900k and then re-evaulate as he becomes full-time backup.

For me, I'd rather focus on the defense and goaltending. Trouba/Manson + Bob would be fine with me and then re-sign one of Dadonov or Hoffman and sprinkle in Tippett and Hepo over the next year or two. Panarin is the luxury for me but now if we hire Q, he will be linked to us even further so that would leave Hoffman without a seat because of Tippett waiting in the wings. I do want Panarin and think he could be a solid playmaker for Trocheck but just curious if management will hand out 3-4 deals that are all 6-7 years x $7 million minimum along with Q.

Q + Bob + Trouba/Manson is my wishlist so we still have some cap flexibility long term. Trocheck may be the odd man out once him, Barkov and Huberdeau need new deals.

Mase

Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
Lots will depend on Luongo but feel they will force him to LTIR and they can say "surgery" and he can come back for playoffs and Monty slides down to SPR. We can be over the cap after trade deadline. Don't see Monty getting the nod unless they add two defensemen in Trouba and Manson while adding Panarin.
I get it, we all love Monty but having two great goalies is fine for 4-5 years when both will be around $9-10 million for the next 3-4 years. Monty's next deal won't be huge unless it's longterm and lower AAV. I see a two year bridge this year at 850-900k and then re-evaulate as he becomes full-time backup.

For me, I'd rather focus on the defense and goaltending. Trouba/Manson + Bob would be fine with me and then re-sign one of Dadonov or Hoffman and sprinkle in Tippett and Hepo over the next year or two. Panarin is the luxury for me but now if we hire Q, he will be linked to us even further so that would leave Hoffman without a seat because of Tippett waiting in the wings. I do want Panarin and think he could be a solid playmaker for Trocheck but just curious if management will hand out 3-4 deals that are all 6-7 years x $7 million minimum along with Q.

Q + Bob + Trouba/Manson is my wishlist so we still have some cap flexibility long term. Trocheck may be the odd man out once him, Barkov and Huberdeau need new deals.

I like Monty too...A LOT...but I can't say I disagree with you. My heart says Monty is the next one in line, my head says that the flaws of this club are obvious and glaring, but a lot of things are happening now that have significantly moved up the time-line and expectations. Might just be a matter of bad timing for the kid.

Bread is a luxury, IMO, not a necessity, and if you can afford it for the foreseeable future then go for it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Tyler Meyers is a RD and UFA. Only 28 and plays a relatively physical game.

Even with the chance of losing Trouba, and Buff in few years Winnipeg fans don't want Myers re-signed.

I'd be really carefull with that one.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I like Monty too...A LOT...but I can't say I disagree with you. My heart says Monty is the next one in line, my head says that the flaws of this club are obvious and glaring, but a lot of things are happening now that have significantly moved up the time-line and expectations. Might just be a matter of bad timing for the kid.

Bread is a luxury, IMO, not a necessity, and if you can afford it for the foreseeable future then go for it.

Monty would be surrounded by Bobrovsky the dual Vez winner and Luongo, a HOF'er and our futre goalie coach. Seems like great timing to me, he could be groomed over the next 3-4 years by two great mentors and if we have to sign Monty to a longterm deal in 2 years for $4-5 million then we bite the bullet and spend $12-13 million on goaltending. By then the cap will be around $90 million and both Yandle and Trocheck will probably be gone. Add depth everywhere and for me, that's needed in net and on defense which is harder to find than offensive talent. We have prospects who will come in cheap and offset where we may overspend. Just make sure you keep a Brinks truck with $10-11 million in it for Barkov in 3 years

Mase

Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
Monty would be surrounded by Bobrovsky the dual Vez winner and Luongo, a HOF'er and our futre goalie coach. Seems like great timing to me, he could be groomed over the next 3-4 years by two great mentors and if we have to sign Monty to a longterm deal in 2 years for $4-5 million then we bite the bullet and spend $12-13 million on goaltending. By then the cap will be around $90 million and both Yandle and Trocheck will probably be gone. Add depth everywhere and for me, that's needed in net and on defense which is harder to find than offensive talent. We have prospects who will come in cheap and offset where we may overspend. Just make sure you keep a Brinks truck with $10-11 million in it for Barkov in 3 years

A distinct possibility, I just hope the kid decides to stick around long enough, and as for Barky, whomever has to go to accommodate his staying is just a lamb that has to go to slaughter, and that is all.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yes, like I eluded to in my previous post, there is a reason a guy like Myers, with all that size and talent, isn't re-signed and allowed to walk when your also talking about possibly moving a guy like Jake Touba, as well. The tape will tell the story on the player, period.

They just have only so much cap to go around, Buff and Morrissey are more important, and Trouba will probably want a big, long term deal, and the Jets don't want to commit. The fact that Trouba can command that type of deal is a positive sign for me. He's a legit top 4 defenseman.

Reactions: CanadianPantherFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad