Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Besides Jack Hughes, who are you looking forward to the most?

• Albin Grewe, C/RW [Djurgardens J20, SuperElit]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Not sure I can agree on that. Don't get me wrong that there's going to be huge changes from Hlinka to June 2019, big ones including players who will fall like Veleno did after being considered a top 5 pick. However, if Broberg played like he did in Hlinka throughout the season I would absolutely take him in the top 5 and no questions asked. Big, smart, and very mobile left-handed defenceman hard to ask for anything else.

While if Avs pick 15th again with their draft pick, a player who can have a major coming out party this year is Nicholas Robertson at eliteprospects.com . Probably grows to 5'11" when everything is said and done, but his shot tormented goalers in the tourney - reminds me of Phil Kessel.

Left handed defenders are busts. Just look at Hanifin, Murray, and Zadorov.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
If you can get a true #1D, you take it every time. We'll still have our own first to take a guy like Kaliyev or Foote. Just because we're OK on D for right now doesn't mean you avoid a prospect like that on principle.

I agree on choosing DMen outside the Top 5, especially Broberg - LHD which definitely fills a significant hole playing with Zadorov & Girard. Yet, the AVs used the BPA approach in previous drafts in rounds 1-2. The Top 5 prospects in 2019 are clearly Forwards, doubtful the AVs if they pick this high would choose a DMan.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I agree on choosing DMen outside the Top 5, especially Broberg - LHD which definitely fills a significant hole playing with Zadorov & Girard. Yet, the AVs used the BPA approach in previous drafts in rounds 1-2. The Top 5 prospects in 2019 are clearly Forwards, doubtful the AVs if they pick this high would choose a DMan.
A LOT will change between now and June... Nobody would have thought at this point in 2016 that Hischier, Makar, Pettersson and Heiskanen would be top 5 picks in 2017, but that's what ended up happening. The BPA at that pick may very well be a defenseman who has a great season and forces his way into top 5 contention, it's way too far in advance to be making confident statements about who or what will be the top 5 10 months from now.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
A LOT will change between now and June... Nobody would have thought at this point in 2016 that Hischier, Makar, Pettersson and Heiskanen would be top 5 picks in 2017, but that's what ended up happening. The BPA at that pick may very well be a defenseman who has a great season and forces his way into top 5 contention, it's way too far in advance to be making confident statements about who or what will be the top 5 10 months from now.

I agree and using only the information available today. If Broberg is Top 5 next June, AVs should definitely take him. He fits an area of need and solidifies a young D that could be together for next 5-7 years.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

I have to disagree here. AVS needed D badly in 2017 and picked 2 dmen in a forward-heavy draft (I won't name anyone but a lot of people here weren't happy with that strategy). While Makar wasn't a reach and did make a push at the end to enter the top 5 on many lists, it was far from a concensus pick. It was similar to what the Habs did with Kotkaniemi this year.

Then this year our first two picks were a RW and a G, which is exactly what we needed the most in the system. While BPA and drafting for need aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, they did appear to draft for need (and there's nothing wrong with that!)

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I have to disagree here. AVS needed D badly in 2017 and picked 2 dmen in a forward-heavy draft (I won't name anyone but a lot of people here weren't happy with that strategy). While Makar wasn't a reach and did make a push at the end to enter the top 5 on many lists, it was far from a concensus pick. It was similar to what the Habs did with Kotkaniemi this year.

Then this year our first two picks were a RW and a G, which is exactly what we needed the most in the system. While BPA and drafting for need aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, they did appear to draft for need (and there's nothing wrong with that!)

It depends on the player and the comparables. I've listed the last 2 drafts and what seemed to be possibilities for the AVs and Bolded my personal selections.

2017 - Makar
Possibilities - Mittelstadt, Vilardi or Tippett

2018 - Kaut
Possibilities - Smith, Kupari, Veleno

I honestly don't believe the selections were too far off.

2017 Draft selected 2 DMen. Makar dominated the AJHL, being an inferior league more difficult to measure his skill level. He could be the best player in the draft. 2nd round pick would have been either Timmins or Hague which are both DMen with either being good selections. Kaut was ranked lower due to an incorrect heart diagnosis with tremendous talent. Veleno would have been my choice, but happy with either pick.

Habs with Kotkaniemi is a stretch and not really comparable. AVs still drafted BPA, but when they're comparably close than of course they would choose need. I think if any risks are taken, they would be in the later rounds.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Kotka was never off the board... people get so obsessed with lists and seeing who is where, but Kotka had significant hype very early in the season and scouts expected him to jump up if he was healthy. In his draft -1 and -2 seasons he was never really healthy. Talent was always there, just needed to showcase it. I even tried to tell people last summer on it...

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Kotka was never off the board... people get so obsessed with lists and seeing who is where, but Kotka had significant hype very early in the season and scouts expected him to jump up if he was healthy. In his draft -1 and -2 seasons he was never really healthy. Talent was always there, just needed to showcase it. I even tried to tell people last summer on it...

What about Hayton? Lol

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Neither Kotkaniemi nor Hayton were out-to-lunch picks, but they were definitely reaches. Time will tell I suppose. People thought Jarmo was crazy for passing on his fellow Finn Pizza-Boy, but it sure looks like he may have made the right decision.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Habs with Kotkaniemi is a stretch and not really comparable.

Let's agree to disagree then. Both situations were extremely similar IMO. Both players with a late push, the hype surronding them and the team drafting for need. Had the Habs not won the lottery and picked at #4 like they were supposed to it would have been almost identical.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Neither Kotkaniemi nor Hayton were out-to-lunch picks, but they were definitely reaches. Time will tell I suppose. People thought Jarmo was crazy for passing on his fellow Finn Pizza-Boy, but it sure looks like he may have made the right decision.

Most people take McKenzie's final list as the "Bible" of draft day rankings and Kotka was #5 on that list. Also, most people had #1 and #2 locked and the rest was open for grab. So yeah, I fail to see how Kotka was a reach considering those 2 points.

I agree that time with tell though. If I had to take a guess I'd say that the player who will have the most success after the top 2 went at #11...

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

2016 is more of an outlier of a draft though because it was a weak draft at the top.

You go back and look at the majority of drafts and the guys picked in the Top 3 or 4 picks will have been consensus Top 5 players a large majority of the time.

And 2019 has some very strong, elite level forwards at the top that would have to have very bad seasons for them to fall out of that top of the draft. Similar to Dahlin/Svechnikov in 2018, Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi in 2016, McDavid/Eichel/Hanifin/Strome in 2015, etc. etc.

It would take extremely bad seasons from Hughes, Kakko, and Turcotte or insanely good years for someone else, for those 3 not to be a part of the consensus Top 5 and likely even Top 3 of the draft.

I really expect this draft to be very forward heavy, no Dman stands out as having elite upside IMO while there's a number of forward with major upside. Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Newhook, Cozens, Dach, Podkolzin, Krebs...

I could see this draft going 7 or 8 picks before a Dman is taken.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Byram’s got some momentum from a fine Hlinka and has always been hugely hyped - I’d say he can definitely gate crash the top 5 or even top 3 forward party for a lotto team who needs a building block blueliner if he has a good season in the WHL. If we were going to bet on another blueline stud, he’s way more the type of defender I’d like to see us take than reaching for a big and toolsy but somewhat raw guy like Broberg. Byrams not flashy measurables he just completely dictates play on all 200’ of ice. Put him next to Makar and the other team won’t ever get the puck (and when they do between Byram’s IQ and Makar’s speed we will still be covered defensively).

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
im still BPA all the way but i hope we do a C and D in this draft since we went W in the last one. Ideally that D will come from our own pick in the late teens and ya know the other will be way way up there ;)

I think there's a very good chance the BPA with Ottawa's pick is a Center and the BPA with Colorado's pick is a Dman.

A lot of high upside, elite forward prospects that will go in the Top 10 in the 2019 draft that we will have a good chance at snagging one with.

And then at least IMO I think there's a number of quality Dmen later on in the first round that would be fantastic targets with our own 1st as well. Which would be a massive boost to our overall prospect pool and solidify the depth of the organization at both forward and defense.

Reactions: agentblack

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Kakko is likely to play in the 1st line of TPS in Liiga, together with Lauri Korpikoski and Ilari Filppula (Valtteri's brother). With linemates like that, I expect a huge year from him.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Kakko is likely to play in the 1st line of TPS in Liiga, together with Lauri Korpikoski and Ilari Filppula (Valtteri's brother). With linemates like that, I expect a huge year from him.
Who would forget the time Ilari Filppula won the Griffins' scoring title and came straight back to Finland.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
The Red Wings are likely to be one of the worst teams this year which would give them a good shot at #1 . Would they pick Hughes or pass on him like they did Quinn which I thought was a shocker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad