Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Besides Jack Hughes, who are you looking forward to the most?

• Albin Grewe, C/RW [Djurgardens J20, SuperElit]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Turcotte, Kakko and Podkolzin. Then you’ve got Newhook and the WHL stud centers (Dach, Cozens, Krebs). And an elite power forward in Lavoie out east. The top 10 in this draft is filthy especially with elite forwards. Even if the Sens escape the basement and do modestly well given their circumstances, we have a shot at an elite first line building block forward anywhere in that top 10 IMO.

Podkolzin is just a “wow” for me though based on the Hlinka and not having seen before. He’s just fantastic.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Turcotte, Kakko and Podkolzin. Then you’ve got Newhook and the WHL stud centers (Dach, Cozens, Krebs). And an elite power forward in Lavoie out east. The top 10 in this draft is filthy especially with elite forwards. Even if the Sens escape the basement and do modestly well given their circumstances, we have a shot at an elite first line building block forward anywhere in that top 10 IMO.

Podkolzin is just a “wow” for me though based on the Hlinka and not having seen before. He’s just fantastic.
Podkolzin is a lot like Turcotte for me as they're amazing 1v1 players, but need to improve in the team-playing department.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Holy ****, I've been insanely impressed by Philip Broberg at eliteprospects.com at the Hlinka Tournment. Broberg is built like a freckin tank, but has the mobility you want for a modern defender. He can absolutely be in the top 5 by season's end from all the strengths I see in his game. And if not, he can easily be the first defender taken. Shades of John Carlson in his game.

I'm already looking forward to the Lidstrom, Hedman, and Dahlin comparisons as the draft gets closer.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

I officially want Podkolzin if we can't get Hughes. I know, I know - it's just one tournament but I think with him it's not that he's come out of nowhere, it's that he's had no exposure for those of us in North America. He's just demolishing people. He reminds me so much of Tarasenko, just an absolute tank on his skates and almost unstoppable when he gets a full head of steam with a combo of power and puck skills. Plus he snipes, has great vision and shows good hustle and ability on the defensive side of the puck.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Stealing this from the Devils board

As a reminder to not take most of these names seriously at this point.

Top 10 forecast for the 2013 draft, in the 2012 draft edition:

1-Seth Jones
2-Nathan MacKinnon
3-Sean Monahan
4-Aleksander Barkov
5-Hunter Shinkaruk
6-Robert Hagg
7-Valeri Nichushkin
8-Elias Lindholm
9-Adam Erne
10-Anthony Duclair

2011:
1-Sean Couturier
2-Adam Larsson
3-Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
4-Seth Ambroz
5-Brandon Saad
6-Matt Puempel
7-David Musil
8-Victor Rask
9-Shane McColgan
10-Boone Jenner

2010:
1-Taylor Hall
2-Kirill Kabanov
3-Brandon Gormley
4-Vladimir Tarasenko
5-Cam Fowler
6-Erik Gudbranson
7-Mikael Granlund
8-John MacFarland
9-Teemu Pulkkinen
10-Tyler Toffoli

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

1-Seth Jones
2-Nathan MacKinnon
3-Sean Monahan
4-Aleksander Barkov
5-Hunter Shinkaruk
6-Robert Hagg
7-Valeri Nichushkin
8-Elias Lindholm
9-Adam Erne
10-Anthony Duclair

2011:
1-Sean Couturier
2-Adam Larsson
3-Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
4-Seth Ambroz
5-Brandon Saad
6-Matt Puempel
7-David Musil
8-Victor Rask
9-Shane McColgan
10-Boone Jenner

2010:
1-Taylor Hall
2-Kirill Kabanov
3-Brandon Gormley
4-Vladimir Tarasenko
5-Cam Fowler
6-Erik Gudbranson
7-Mikael Granlund
8-John MacFarland
9-Teemu Pulkkinen
10-Tyler Toffoli

Wait Seguin wasn't in the projection for the top 10? Never knew that.. (Outside of hockey fandom it was an interesting year for me) Crazy

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

1-Seth Jones
2-Nathan MacKinnon
3-Sean Monahan
4-Aleksander Barkov
5-Hunter Shinkaruk
6-Robert Hagg
7-Valeri Nichushkin
8-Elias Lindholm
9-Adam Erne
10-Anthony Duclair

2011:
1-Sean Couturier
2-Adam Larsson
3-Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
4-Seth Ambroz
5-Brandon Saad
6-Matt Puempel
7-David Musil
8-Victor Rask
9-Shane McColgan
10-Boone Jenner

2010:
1-Taylor Hall
2-Kirill Kabanov
3-Brandon Gormley
4-Vladimir Tarasenko
5-Cam Fowler
6-Erik Gudbranson
7-Mikael Granlund
8-John MacFarland
9-Teemu Pulkkinen
10-Tyler Toffoli

What made Tarasenko drop? Russian factor?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Button's very early top five:

1. Jack Hughes
2. Dylan Cozens
3. Philip Broberg
4. Kaapo Kakko
5. Vasili Podkolzin

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/craig-s-list-top-5-players-for-the-2019-nhl-draft~1459629
I don't take the Hlinka Cup seriously, as we saw with the shambolic call in the USA/Canada game, but I simply don't see it with Cozens at #2. I think he should be a good player worthy of top 15, but if there is a kid who has Lazar/Bleackey type of impressions/vibes for me coming out of the Dub it is him.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeC and McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't take the Hlinka Cup seriously, as we saw the shambolic call in the USA/Canada game, but I simply don't see it with Cozens at #2. I think he should be a good player worthy of top 15, but if there is a kid who has Lazar/Bleackey type of impressions for me coming out of the Dub it is him.
I like Cozens, but there are a bunch of guys I like just a bit more. I think his skill set will probably translate, but there are a lot of similarities to the type of players who end up being "too big for juniors" and go way higher than they should.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I don't take the Hlinka Cup seriously, as we saw with the shambolic call in the USA/Canada game, but I simply don't see it with Cozens at #2. I think he should be a good player worthy of top 15, but if there is a kid who has Lazar/Bleackey type of impressions/vibes for me coming out of the Dub it is him.

Ha i knew it!

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
  • I'd pick Dach of the WHL stud centers. I know he muffed a scoring chance (in the semi IIRC) but his combo of vision and size is dreamy. Kind of a Jumbo Joe lite though in terms of his assist to goal ratio. Not that I care that much. Krebs looks very solid as well - I just think Dach's upside is higher. Interested to hear SEPH or landymacks opinion.
  • It's too bad we didn't get to see Newhook or the USNDTP guys (in particular Turcotte). I do think its easy to focus too much on what we just saw (although admittedly I am a Podkolzin fanboy now).

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
  • I'd pick Dach of the WHL stud centers. I know he muffed a scoring chance (in the semi IIRC) but his combo of vision and size is dreamy. Kind of a Jumbo Joe lite though in terms of his assist to goal ratio. Not that I care that much. Krebs looks very solid as well - I just think Dach's upside is higher. Interested to hear SEPH or landymacks opinion.
  • It's too bad we didn't get to see Newhook or the USNDTP guys (in particular Turcotte). I do think its easy to focus too much on what we just saw (although admittedly I am a Podkolzin fanboy now).
The big 3 are all close but I have them 1-Krebs 2-Dach 3-Cozens. Cozens is the most consistent and complete of the 3 as of now while not quite being as dynamic as the other 2. Dach has really improved over the summer skating wise and seems to have bulked up which will help. If everything clicks it's close between Dach+Krebs for upside but Dach needs to start shooting a lot more. Krebs is the clear cut 1 at the moment as he's elite in every area of the game and plays a responsible defensive game for his age and how he's adjusted from LW to C. He'll likely grow a bit more as his brother is 6'4 so size won't be an issue either. I don't expect him to pass these 3 but Oleg Zaitsev is another high end C to keep an eye on out west. Similar to Cozens in skill set and style of play, maybe even a little more physical.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
We have a dominant top line. We have loads of young, talented forwards.

If we are picking top 3 with the Ott pick and there is a legit #1 Dman sitting there you don't hesitate. Top pairing Dmen are much harder to find that top pairing forwards.

Philip Broberg, D: The best defenceman available for the 2019 draft. He has exceptional skating ability and exceptional command of the game in every single regard. Offensively, he can move the puck up the ice with his skating, he's got great poise and makes great plays under pressure. Everything about his game screams top pair defenceman, if not a No. 1 defenceman in the NHL. His improvement in the last year has been tremendous and you saw that on display at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup.

https://www.tsn.ca/an-early-top-5-craig-s-list-for-the-2019-draft-1.1157160

Broberg - Johnson
Zadorov - Barrie
Makar - Girard
Timmins - Meloche

That group would be downright filthy. The trade possibilities would be endless too.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
We have a dominant top line. We have loads of young, talented forwards.

If we are picking top 3 with the Ott pick and there is a legit #1 Dman sitting there you don't hesitate. Top pairing Dmen are much harder to find that top pairing forwards.

Philip Broberg, D: The best defenceman available for the 2019 draft. He has exceptional skating ability and exceptional command of the game in every single regard. Offensively, he can move the puck up the ice with his skating, he's got great poise and makes great plays under pressure. Everything about his game screams top pair defenceman, if not a No. 1 defenceman in the NHL. His improvement in the last year has been tremendous and you saw that on display at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup.

https://www.tsn.ca/an-early-top-5-craig-s-list-for-the-2019-draft-1.1157160

Broberg - Johnson
Zadorov - Barrie
Makar - Girard
Timmins - Meloche

That group would be downright filthy. The trade possibilities would be endless too.

I agree having Broberg would be incredible, but the AVs have a greater need for secondary scoring. If the Sens selection is Top 5, the choice is likely to be a Forward. Here are the highest ranked players.

Hughes
Kakko
Cozens
Turcott
Podkolzin
Krebs
Dach

If the Sens pick is the bottom portion of the Top 10 (6-10 range), Broberg should be the pick.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If you can get a true #1D, you take it every time. We'll still have our own first to take a guy like Kaliyev or Foote. Just because we're OK on D for right now doesn't mean you avoid a prospect like that on principle.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If the Avs used a Top 3 pick on a Dman this year I would be pissed. Way too much elite offensive talent to be passing up on that high in the draft. Would be awful asset management.
Not sure I can agree on that. Don't get me wrong that there's going to be huge changes from Hlinka to June 2019, big ones including players who will fall like Veleno did after being considered a top 5 pick. However, if Broberg played like he did in Hlinka throughout the season I would absolutely take him in the top 5 and no questions asked. Big, smart, and very mobile left-handed defenceman hard to ask for anything else.

While if Avs pick 15th again with their draft pick, a player who can have a major coming out party this year is Nicholas Robertson at eliteprospects.com . Probably grows to 5'11" when everything is said and done, but his shot tormented goalers in the tourney - reminds me of Phil Kessel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->