Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part VII

Which player are you hoping drops to 16th overall?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
4 is a tricky one. Kind of hoping Byram drops to us to take some of that risk away.
For forwards Id prob go Turcotte -> Zegras -> Pod -> Dach/Caufield but long term theres so many, who knows who will turn out best. Tough call.

I think 4th is the perfect pick.

Hawks have to decide on Byram (another DMan) or Turcotte (hometown kid).

AVs will simply pick the other player. If they pass on Byram, they can trade with LAK or DET for another asset and still get their player.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Didn't I just give you two more?

FTR, this isn't a hill I'll die on, I don't have a strong opinion on him.
Oh yeah , I'm with you on the hill thing as well. Of our scouts take him then fine I just don't see how he could be ahead of Dach , and so e others but especially Dach.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Nadia quoting EliteProspects is as valuable as me telling you where he'll go. Cosentino has him at #4 in May, Robinson at Dobber has him at #3 in May. He only rose to #8 for FC, but it goes to show you that Nadia used rankings from January, directly from EliteProspects, had no clue about using old rankings, and did zero research as always, yet releasing other people's research under her name, and then Avalanche casuals eat it up.

giphy.gif

Also

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 11.47.43 AM.png

giphy.gif

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Oh yeah , I'm with you on the hill thing as well. Of our scouts take him then fine I just don't see how he could be ahead of Dach , and so e others but especially Dach.
Yeah, I think rated consistently in the top-10 at least, the scoring upside isn't a problem as much as you seem to think, but I think it's fair to raise that question with these types that get compared to the O'Reilly's of the world.
Yeah, I think we've covered it with him that this poster mayyyy not be a female after all. ;)

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Yeah, I think rated consistently in the top-10 at least, the scoring upside isn't a problem as much as you seem to think, but I think it's fair to raise that question with these types that get compared to the O'Reilly's of the world.

I think it's safe to assume that if the Avs take Turcotte they are prepared for, and at peace with, him potentially being out-produced by some of the guys taken after him. You take him because you're convinced he's the kind of guy you win with. If they are going pure offensive upside I don't think he's the pick.

Either way, the FO seems firm on their preference which is all I really care about.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’s a great passer and skater and put up Hughes-level productivity in USHL play. I don’t see much to be concerned about as far as him being a point producer at each successive step up.

Stylistically somebody in the prospect forum made a case that Zegras may have a touch more offensive upside at the NHL level with a very thorough breakdown of their games but even he admitted that he was trying to take the contrary position and that it’s basically a toss up (fwiw - nobody is better than Turcotte in this draft for two-way play but he echoed hench’s comments that Zegras is rounding out into a kid who won’t be far off either).

Reactions: timothy jimothy

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
He’s a great passer and skater and put up Hughes-level productivity in USHL play. I don’t see much to be concerned about as far as him being a point producer at each successive step up.

Stylistically somebody in the prospect forum made a case that Zegras may have a touch more offensive upside at the NHL level with a very thorough breakdown of their games but even he admitted that he was trying to take the contrary position and that it’s basically a toss up (fwiw - nobody is better than Turcotte in this draft for two-way play but he echoed hench’s comments that Zegras is rounding out into a kid who won’t be far off either).

I just think there's a several guys that have a higher ceiling offensively. The odds they all surpass him production-wise are low but IMO there's a chance. Dach, Zegras, Pod, and Caufield I think all have higher offensive ceilings. That's not to cast any shade on Turcotte, I just think they all have an elite tool or two with weaknesses to build on, whereas Turcotte is set apart by the lack of weak spots to his game.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I think it's safe to assume that if the Avs take Turcotte they are prepared for, and at peace with, him potentially being out-produced by some of the guys taken after him. You take him because you're convinced he's the kind of guy you win with. If they are going pure offensive upside I don't think he's the pick.

Either way, the FO seems firm on their preference which is all I really care about.
Front office hasn't mentioned Turcotte at all

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Throw in the Avs' 3rd back and I think that could ultimately be something to be lived with.

I would imagine that Reimer could pass through waivers with his contract, you re-sign Frankie and you're looking at a depth chart of:

Grubauer
Francouz
Reimer
Werner

I would think that lines up nicely for next season.
I would do that deal especially with our 3rd back. We use Reimer next year and his last year if we don't need/want him I'm sure we could find a taker if we retain 50%. So we Reimer at 3.4M next season and 1.7M the year after that. It also gives a great vet for Werner to learn from and a great option in case of injury to Gru or Frankie.

Having the third helps us pick a faller from the top 10 or we should be able to pick Broberg at that spot or whoever else the Avs are high on but wouldn't be there at #16.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Front office hasn't mentioned anyone... beyond we know who the first two are comment. They could have Brinkman #3 for all we know.

Right now, like most teams the initial final list is done. They will come together at the combine, but not formally make any tweaks. A few days before the draft they will lockdown the final list that will vary from the list they have today. Not by a ton, but there will be guys moved based upon interviews and off ice testing... then a couple where they feel the late season tape is better/worse than originally thought. Right now, nobody really has their picks lined out.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Who have they mentioned?
All my point was most here are thinking Turcotte when for all we know he's listed further down the Avs list. I'm not sod the Avs have him top 4 . I believe it's beteEN Byrsm , Dach and Podkolzin , Turcotte is just a 2 c narrative, better players than him at #4

Last edited:

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
:huh:

Odd way of looking at things. I'd be surprised if Sakic tips his cards (about anyone) beyond the top 2 comment he has made so far.

All my point was most here are thinking Turcotte when for all we know he's listed further down the Avs list. I'm not sod the Avs have him top 4 . I believe it's betweEN Byrsm , Dach and Podkolzin , Turxotte is just a 2 c narrative, better players than him at 4

When did every little thing that people disagree with become a "narrative"? There's a very clear and logical reason for the Avs to be targeting a C at 4OA. Nobody knows what the FO's plan is but looking for a 2C at 4OA is literally as likely as any other option.

For the record I'm not sold he's the Avs guy either, I'm just saying if he's the pick you'll know exactly what their reasoning was.

Reactions: Tommy G and madman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad