Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part VII

Which player are you hoping drops to 16th overall?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Only because you're a pod-hater and don't have him ahead of Zegras! :scared:

You don't want to know where I slotted Pods. :laugh:

This is a bit of a weird draft to me. The more and more I've gone through it, the weirder it gets to me. There is a tier from 3-8/9/10 that people tend to agree on (though some outliers exist there too). For the most part I think those players will go in their slotting. Like always one team will have a flyer they take. From that tier onto about 40-45, it is a complete mess for any sort of real consensus. There is raw talent in that range that will become good NHL players and maybe even some high end ones... but there are some of those that will bust and bust hard too. Then you got the safe guys who teams will look at and select, but won't ever really wow. That part of the draft will be a bit all over the place. We are definitely going to have a few Nils Lundqvist moments this year and some WTF sort of thoughts. These are teams that like their guy and are comfortable regardless of the rankings. As you get into the depth of the draft in the 3rd+ rounds, I think it is actually pretty weak (even the 10-45 is pretty weak to me). But saying that, with the divisions of how these these players are being evaluated. On a personal list of mine, I'd expect the guy I'd put at 40 to be there in the 4th. I think when this draft is looked back upon, I think it will be a pretty average draft, but there will be players where some wonder how did THAT player fall.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You don't want to know where I slotted Pods. :laugh:

This is a bit of a weird draft to me. The more and more I've gone through it, the weirder it gets to me. There is a tier from 3-8/9/10 that people tend to agree on (though some outliers exist there too). For the most part I think those players will go in their slotting. Like always one team will have a flyer they take. From that tier onto about 40-45, it is a complete mess for any sort of real consensus. There is raw talent in that range that will become good NHL players and maybe even some high end ones... but there are some of those that will bust and bust hard too. Then you got the safe guys who teams will look at and select, but won't ever really wow. That part of the draft will be a bit all over the place. We are definitely going to have a few Nils Lundqvist moments this year and some WTF sort of thoughts. These are teams that like their guy and are comfortable regardless of the rankings. As you get into the depth of the draft in the 3rd+ rounds, I think it is actually pretty weak (even the 10-45 is pretty weak to me). But saying that, with the divisions of how these these players are being evaluated. On a personal list of mine, I'd expect the guy I'd put at 40 to be there in the 4th. I think when this draft is looked back upon, I think it will be a pretty average draft, but there will be players where some wonder how did THAT player fall.

...like Pod :nod:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
...like Pod :nod:
Potentially... but I more mean somebody like Pasta. Picked in the late teens/early 20s in a range where they are supposed to go, but they end up a top 5 player from this draft.

When I think about it 2014 is an interesting comparison to this draft outside the top 2. That was a draft with a top end to it where it could have been argued 4-5 different players for #1 and a tier that went to 8-9. The best player in the draft when #3 and was a risk with upside. The second best went 25. Then a debate of the next 3-5 players who went in a range from #1 to 79. As we go forward, we will see number of 2nd-7th rounders climb up the better players from the draft.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Potentially... but I more mean somebody like Pasta. Picked in the late teens/early 20s in a range where they are supposed to go, but they end up a top 5 player from this draft.

Yeah, I figured. And I should've added "depending on how many scouts rank him like you do", but that wasn't pithy enough to be fun.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, I figured. And I should've added "depending on how many scouts rank him like you do", but that wasn't pithy enough to be fun.

We are a loud and proud minority! :laugh:

I can see situations of Pods lasting past 6, but they are few and far between.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He then adopts the number and body swaps with Radulov.

@cgf

tenor.gif

Reactions: cgf

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Curiosity... Let's say we can get Byram. With all the "trade Barrie" talk... Would he even be considered NHL ready? Or is that still a year or two off, ala Makar?

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Curiosity... Let's say we can get Byram. With all the "trade Barrie" talk... Would he even be considered NHL ready? Or is that still a year or two off, ala Makar?

Not replace-Barrie NHL ready, but I'm not sure he gains a ton by spending another year in the WHL.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Girard-Makar
Zadorov-Byram
Cole-EJ(if not claimed by Seattle) Timmins(possibly)

Barrie for top 6 forward, plus any UFA signing

Wont be a bad deal of Avs get to draft Byram

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Girard-Makar
Zadorov-Byram

Barrie for top 6 forward, plus any UFA signing, plus the 4th pick (Turcotte)

The assumption is 4th OA ends up being Byram

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
:huh:

Odd way of looking at things. I'd be surprised if Sakic tips his cards (about anyone) beyond the top 2 comment he has made so far.

When did every little thing that people disagree with become a "narrative"? There's a very clear and logical reason for the Avs to be targeting a C at 4OA. Nobody knows what the FO's plan is but looking for a 2C at 4OA is literally as likely as any other option.

For the record I'm not sold he's the Avs guy either, I'm just saying if he's the pick you'll know exactly what their reasoning was.
Yeah and I don't think he's there reasoning .Best player on their list doesnt necessarily mean Turcotte at all , some have him pegged $4 , he could be #10 on the Avs list.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Girard-Makar
Zadorov-Byram

Barrie for top 6 forward, plus any UFA signing

If Byram is the choice, it’s likely to play with Makar:

Byram-Makar
Girard-EJ
Zadorov-Timmins/Meloche

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
I've read nothing to suggest Byram is NHL ready. If the Avs get him (and that's a pretty big if, I think) and has a good camp maybe he gets a 9 game look but he'd have to really show a lot to make that leap at 18.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Trade back from #4 to #6. Trade #16 for #13+Reimer+our 3rd. Use proceeds from the first trade to move up from #13 to #8 or 9. Leave draft night with Zegras & Pod/Caufield. Boom.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Unless they wanna stick to traditional lefty-righty pairings. Byram and Makar are both righties

Byram is a LHD.

Bowen Byram

Defense -- shoots L
Born Jun 13 2001 -- Cranbrook, BC
[17 yrs. ago]
Height 6.00 -- Weight 193 [183 cm/88 kg]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad