Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part VII

Which player are you hoping drops to 16th overall?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Did the writer actually also say that he’d “feel more comfortable selecting Turcotte at 16oa”?

That’s like saying that you’d feel more comfortable giving Karlsson a $3m/year deal. Obviously you’d want that/“be more comfortable” with it, but it’s just stupid and completely unrealistic, so why even say it?
5-year deal at $1 million per. Boom.

(You gotta know this one.)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm down for Lavoie but he's more Colin Wilson than Rick Nash.

Rick Nash is maybe the most misremembered player of recent times. I think may remember they early days in Columbus that scored some great goals and was a multiple 40g guy. Those were flash years and not really the best overall description of who he was. He was more of a ~30-35g power winger that could play both ends of the ice well. I can't see Lavoie hitting 40gs... but a 25-30g version of Nash isn't unreasonable.

Reactions: avsfan09 and Meeqs

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Reactions: Gatorbait19

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Rick Nash is maybe the most misremembered player of recent times. I think may remember they early days in Columbus that scored some great goals and was a multiple 40g guy. Those were flash years and not really the best overall description of who he was. He was more of a ~30-35g power winger that could play both ends of the ice well. I can't see Lavoie hitting 40gs... but a 25-30g version of Nash isn't unreasonable.

That could well be, especially since I didn't watch much of 'lumbus until they got Seth and Panarin, but from what I remember he also had a skill element to his game that the Wilson's & (IMO) Lavoie's just don't, not even at a lower level. More along the lines of Landy's "skilled-PWF" game.

I just don't feel good about predicting Lavoie to hit 25-30, not saying he can't, just saying I wouldn't bank on him getting there and worry he's more of a middle-6er than a reliable goal scorer like that...which is why he doesn't excite me as much as using that pick to trade for a Kadri/Zucker.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
In between lockouts (05-12) Rick Nash was an absolute monster. In 520 games between those two lockouts he had 231 goals and 451 points. That’s a pace of 40 goals and 71 points per 82 games played over a 7 year span. All while being one of the most dominant defensive wingers in hockey. Perhaps would be known as the best of that era if not for Hosea. It’s a shame that the Blue Jackets were a disaster and only played 1 playoff series in that time because a player like Nash was built for the playoffs.

Rick Nash has one of the most wasted primes we’ve ever witnessed because he had a 6/7 year prime of being a truly dominant specimen.

If Lavoie was actually Rick Nash he would be a great choice at 4, not 16. I doubt he’s Rick Nash though.

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
4 is a tricky one. Kind of hoping Byram drops to us to take some of that risk away.
For forwards Id prob go Turcotte -> Zegras -> Pod -> Dach/Caufield but long term theres so many, who knows who will turn out best. Tough call.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think my fear with Lavoie is that he’s more of a Patrice Cormier than a Rick Nash. He may just be so much bigger and stronger than everyone else that he’s able to produce based on that. I said the same thing about Julien Gauthier too. Some guys grow into their mans body as teenagers and look a notch above everyone else because of that physical maturity. But then as the rest grow into their bodies as they approach the pro level the original manchild doesn’t really ever improve and gets passed by everyone else.

Nash had the skill to go with everything else and his game continued to adapt. Guys like Cormier, Virtanen, Gauthier, Crouse etc. are guys that simply peaked early although the jury is still out on some of them.

Reactions: cgf

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Rick Nash is a terrible hockey player and anybody who says otherwise not only needs to see optometrist, but needs counseling and an exorcism.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think my fear with Lavoie is that he’s more of a Patrice Cormier than a Rick Nash. He may just be so much bigger and stronger than everyone else that he’s able to produce based on that. I said the same thing about Julien Gauthier too. Some guys grow into their mans body as teenagers and look a notch above everyone else because of that physical maturity. But then as the rest grow into their bodies as they approach the pro level the original manchild doesn’t really ever improve and gets passed by everyone else.

Nash had the skill to go with everything else and his game continued to adapt. Guys like Cormier, Virtanen, Gauthier, Crouse etc. are guys that simply peaked early although the jury is still out on some of them.

Oh Goat, how hyped I was for him *sigh*

His goal-scoring in junior suckered me hard

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Fair enough.

You're comparing him to Colin Wilson the NHLer, not Colin Wilson the draft prospect who went top 10 in his class...although I'd also like to point out that I said "more Wilson than Nash", not that he was capn average 2.0 exactly. I agree that he looks like a better version of Wilson, but he still looks more like a middle-6er than a legit scoring liner to me...and I'd rather trade #16 for a top 6er if no one I like from tiers 2 & 3 falls to 16 than use it one another tweener.
I agree that the pick should be trade bait or used to address scoring but if nothing turns up he would be a decent pick. I think he can become a better version of Josh Anderson. That's a nice piece.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

It is always a fine line with these bigger players and distinguishing between which are good and who just has a physical advantage is difficult. I think what you see with Lavoie is a bigger wing who is quite adept at 2 way hockey and likely very near NHL ready. He is lacking high end skills though... I don't think he is lacking skill either. I personally wouldn't project him as a 30+g sort of guy... though there are some out there that think he is a future 30-30 sort. I'd say it is likely he falls in the 20s for both and is able to anchor a top PK spot in a few years. I also think he can play in the NHL this upcoming season as a 3rd/4th line guy. That stems from him being so fundamentally sound in all aspects of his game and being highly developed defensively already... along with the body to go along with it. I don't see any more than a 2nd liner in him, with the likely being a 2nd/3rd line tweener sort through his career. That is a solid player an not a bad value at 16... probably not the route I'd take, but I get it.

Gauthier is an interesting one to me... he's the perfect test case for not rushing a guy who is physically ready for the NHL and was a 1st round pick. That doesn't tend to happen often, and judging by the season he just had down in Charlotte. It might be paying off.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree that the pick should be trade bait or used to address scoring but if nothing turns up he would be a decent pick. I think he can become a better version of Josh Anderson. That's a nice piece.

True, which is why I'm not outright opposed to him. Just doubting that using the pick on him will end up the ideal solution for us.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Nadia quoting EliteProspects is as valuable as me telling you where he'll go. Cosentino has him at #4 in May, Robinson at Dobber has him at #3 in May. He only rose to #8 for FC, but it goes to show you that Nadia used rankings from January, directly from EliteProspects, had no clue about using old rankings, and did zero research as always, yet releasing other people's research under her name, and then Avalanche casuals eat it up.
Look at the scouting sites , virtually no one has him 4

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So a florida fan suggested #13 + Reimer for #16...

Throw in the Avs' 3rd back and I think that could ultimately be something to be lived with.

I would imagine that Reimer could pass through waivers with his contract, you re-sign Frankie and you're looking at a depth chart of:

Grubauer
Francouz
Reimer
Werner

I would think that lines up nicely for next season.

Reactions: missionAvs

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The 2nd year with Reiner scares me.
1895movie.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad