Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part VI

Which Goaler (besides Knight) would you want the Avs to draft?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TatteredTornNFrayed

very angry indeed
Jan 15, 2008
I get the reasoning, I just value solving our goaltending long term over another flyer on a mid-1st caliber prospect. Knight at 16 would be the best value, if available.

I don't really know much of anything about any of the G in this draft other than Knight is extremely highly regarded.

But I feel drafting a great G prospect far from assures anything is "solved". I think the 1st round G success rate is rather spotty, and I know they take many years to be ready. That increases the risk that a 1st rounder is a miss, or that they are no longer with their original team when they finally are ready.

And most of all, I very much disagree with making a decision on picking a certain position because of a view that it is an "extra" or "bonus" draft pick. I think this kind of thinking may have crept in a little bit on the Siemens pick. I have seen the same mistaken strategy many times in other sports drafts. It usually seems to backfire when a team views a pick that way.

I won't pretend to know who is the BPA, but we should only take Knight if he is clearly a better pick than the alternatives, not because we can afford to take a G due to having the Ottawa pick. Personally, it seems like there are a lot of interesting guys like Lavoie, Harley, York, Newhook, Dorofeyev who look like they might be available and whom could become important pieces within a couple years. I hope our scouts are working double time this year to ensure we come up with 2 very strong picks in our first round. Lord knows we can't be certain our 2nd and 3rd rounders will turn out.

Last edited:

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
And most of all, I very much disagree with making a decision on picking a certain position because of a view that it is an "extra" or "bonus" draft pick. I think this kind of thinking may have crept in a little bit on the Siemens pick. I have seen the same mistaken strategy many times in other sports drafts. It usually seems to backfire when a team views a pick that way.

Yeah like when the Bruins drafted Zboril, DeBrusk and Senyshyn in 2015 back-to-back. So far only DeBrusk is any good.

The next three guys taken after that were Barzal, Connor and Chabot. :help:

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019
I’ll take a Turcotte+Caufield combo please and thank you. Hope Jost can find that extra gear so he blends with MacK and Landy and have Caufield-Turcotte-Rantanen there to take advantage of matchups
I think Turcotte and Caufield would be an perfect first round for the Avs. I think Caufield is going to slip into the top 10 with his u18 performance if he keeps it up though.

I sort of liked the way that Bobby Brink looked with Turcotte and Boldy last game, and m definitely keeping my eye on him. More of a swing for the fences type of scenario, but I'd probably be okay with it if him and Turcotte can continue to develop that chemistry. Put Landy on a line with them and you got yourself a really complete line.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I wouldn?t be surprised if the Avs are very high on Krebs. That guy is such an Avs' type player. Imagine Calvert with high-end skills and hockey IQ. He just never stops. Bednar would love this guy. A Krebs-Rants combo would be fantastic on the 2nd line.

Turcotte is still my first choice at #4 but if he is gone I'll be equally happy with Krebs or Cozens. These last two for different reason. The former is more of a playmaker while the other is more of a scorer.

At #16 I would be happy with York, Harley, Heinola, Caufield, Knight, and Dorofeyev.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
I wouldn?t be surprised if the Avs are very high on Krebs. That guy is such an Avs' type player. Imagine Calvert with high-end skills and hockey IQ. He just never stops. Bednar would love this guy. A Krebs-Rants combo would be fantastic on the 2nd line.

Turcotte is still my first choice at #4 but if he is gone I'll be equally happy with Krebs or Cozens. These last two for different reason. The former is more of a playmaker while the other is more of a scorer.

At #16 I would be happy with York, Harley, Heinola, Caufield, Knight, and Dorofeyev.
I prefer Robertson as York(enough a small D )
And i want Lavoie at 16.but i agree with the others.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
What do you think to trade for going down with 4th
Example:
Avs 4th pick for Detroit 6th and 2nd 2019.(#35)
With #6 we can have a very good C like Krebs,Dach or Zegras.and with #35 I guy like Bjornfot or Kokkonen
Just an idea lot of possibility .

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Example:
With #6 we can have a very good C like Krebs,Dach or Zegras.and with #35 I guy like Bjornfot or Kokkonen

I get what you mean and you're just citing an example but, I highly doubt a rebuilding club trades down versus stocking up the prospects. I don't think there's a clear difference between 4 and 6 outside of positional need at this point anyways.

Reactions: McMetal

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I get what you mean and you're just citing an example but, I highly doubt a rebuilding club trades down versus stocking up the prospects. I don't think there's a clear difference between 4 and 6 outside of positional need at this point anyways.
He's talking about us trading down to 6th, and Detroit moving up.

It's an intriguing idea if Chicago takes Podkolzin.

If we're not in on Podkolzin, and we're in on Byram, and Chicago takes Byram, then maybe we trade down to Detroit.

At 6 we can still catch a top tier player, and maybe even catch Podkolzin if he falls to 6.

The high second would be a nice pick to have.

At 3, we're going to see one of Podkolzin/Byram/Cozens get selected.

Meaning at 4-6, Podkolzin/Byram/Cozens/Turcotte/Krebs/Zegras/Dach will be available.

I like the idea.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I’m not disappointed with Podkolzin because unlike some I wasn’t enamored with him to begin with. I still see the same player who has good traits coupled with red flags. Much like Dach. Should be picked around 10th and nowhere near top 5 in both cases. Dach is RyJo 2.0 and Podkolzin is Landeskog without the elite drive and defensive play, both project as 2nd liners for me in a realistic projection.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I’m not disappointed with Podkolzin because unlike some I wasn’t enamored with him to begin with. I still see the same player who has good traits coupled with red flags. Much like Dach. Should be picked around 10th and nowhere near top 5 in both cases. Dach is RyJo 2.0 and Podkolzin is Landeskog without the elite drive and defensive play, both project as 2nd liners for me in a realistic projection.

I wish I could like this post more than once...

I'm still aboard the Cozens/Turcotte/Zegras (since those who love him LOVE him and project him highly)/Byram train.

Reactions: Ivan13

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think, fair or not, Podkolzin will take a huge tumble, and Caufield will take a huge leap, due to the results of this tournament.

I'm leaning more Dach now, but if they picked Cozens I'd be okay with that too.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

Krebs at #4 is cause for dismissal.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Crap. 4th pick is basically worthless. It's such a shame we missed top2.

We are going to need tons of luck with the 4th pick now. Too many options.
Worthless? Lol just because the top 2 look the most promising, doesn't mean the guys from 3-6 aren't also going to be great. A top 4 pick isn't worthless by any stretch.

We're in the second round of the playoffs, with likely a top 2-3 D prospect in the world (4th overall pick), and we get to pick 4th lol

Whoever we add, will be able to join a great team, and won't be expected to carry this team.

Who knows what will happen?

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
After spending an entire hour in terms I would like either Podz, Turcotte, or Byram.

Podz seems to have high end skill from the wing, Turcotte sounds kind of like O'Reilly, and Byram would make a fun first pairing of Byram Makar.

If they plan to reach I would reach for Cole Caufield but that is a hard reach at 4 (despite his ridiculous goal total). My hope is they trade down.

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Example:
I would do it in a second and pick Krebs at #6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad