Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part VI

Which Goaler (besides Knight) would you want the Avs to draft?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
How does Dach and PL Dubois draft years or player types compare?

PLD was a much better defensive player coming into the draft, he didn't have the effort question marks that Dach does, and I wanna see he used his body better...though neither are/were exactly Lindros out there, PLD seemed a lot more engaged when it came to board battles...but some folks doubted his skill level a lot more than Dach's getting. I was extremely high on PLD and argued that he was the right pick at #3 even if he didn't cut it at Center, so I didn't have any concerns about his skill level, but that was a bit of a controversial take at the time.

Reactions: Veritas0Aequitas

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
What mess are we in exactly?

Not answering for Barklez. But I've seen the Avs futile attempts (the mess) at trying to draft/develop a #1 goalie the past several years. It seems that the Avs aren't committed to adding blue chip/Grade A talent at the goalie position via the draft. Why? None of the goalies we've drafted in the 2nd round ever amounted to much. Certainly nothing close to being a #1/long-term starting goalie. Time to fix the problem I think. This adds up to going against the grain and drafting a top goalie prospect in the first round. We have two first round picks this year so now is the opportunity. Or, the Avs can continue with the gamble of trading for a somewhat developed goalie prospect (Varly/Grubs) hoping they work out as our starting goalie. I'm obviously in favor of adding goalie talent in the first round - Knight.

We have managed (mostly) adequate starting goaltending for most of the time the team has been in Denver.

Goaltending has been a weak point, if not the weakest, of this team a majority of the seasons since Roy retired.

If people think what they’ve been doing to address goaltending has been working, then I’m happy for you. IMO this is the best opportunity we’ve had in a long time to address goaltending for the long term.

Goalies take longer to develop and therefore are always the most easily deferred pick - “we can trade for someone ready now”, “we have (insert random Euro goalie from Rounds 3-7) that might pan out this time!!!” Goalies are better in the next draft is one I hadn’t heard yet but I’m shocked to hear it out of Mr. Proactivity himself.

There’s every chance Knight is our only chance at an elite talent with our pick. No-brainer for me.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Has anybody watched Podkolzin play in the U18 yet? I haven’t. But I’m curious how he’s looking because he hasn’t cracked the scoresheet and I feel like that isn’t what you hope to see from a top 4 pick.

He’s been exactly how Ivan and myself have described... if you have concerns about him, he is not doing a good job of easing them.

Dach is more like a Strome to me than a PLD.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He’s been exactly how Ivan and myself have described... if you have concerns about him, he is not doing a good job of easing them.

Dach is more like a Strome to me than a PLD.

Do you guys mean that with the puck or his all-around game as well? Will be interesting to catch up on these games after I move.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What are scouts either seeing as a negative or not seeing with Turcotte to have him below Dach and Cozens? Every time I watch him he reinforces himself as the second best center in the draft behind Hughes.
Well, that's how teams find themselves with players like Pettersson, Makar, and Heiskanen being taken after the likes of Hischier and Patrick.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Well, that's how teams find themselves with players like Pettersson, Makar, and Heiskanen being taken after the likes of Hischier and Patrick.
Fair enough. I just hope the Avs scouting staff thinks the same way with regards to Turcotte. I might still have some PTSD from the Pracey years, but I can’t see them passing on one of the WHL guys for Turcotte.

Reactions: Veritas0Aequitas

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Fair enough. I just hope the Avs scouting staff thinks the same way with regards to Turcotte. I might still have some PTSD from the Pracey years, but I can’t see them passing on one of the WHL guys for Turcotte.
It's hard to answer your original question because scouts make their own list, but their lists are probably under a certain amount of foundation due to the consensus lists out there. I believe it has been confirmed out there that Avs both had Patrick and Hischier over both defenders, but Avs probably knew that a defender was going to drop to them. There really is no reason out there that Turcotte should go as low as 8th, none for me except if there is any sort injury issues and even then the team who gets him will get a gem.

Yeah I am fully expecting them to take a CHLer, but hopefully we get surprised again like last time with Rantanen because I one million percent thought they were going to take Crouse or Meier.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
We have managed (mostly) adequate starting goaltending for most of the time the team has been in Denver.

Goaltending has been a weak point, if not the weakest, of this team a majority of the seasons since Roy retired.

If people think what they’ve been doing to address goaltending has been working, then I’m happy for you. IMO this is the best opportunity we’ve had in a long time to address goaltending for the long term.

Goalies take longer to develop and therefore are always the most easily deferred pick - “we can trade for someone ready now”, “we have (insert random Euro goalie from Rounds 3-7) that might pan out this time!!!” Goalies are better in the next draft is one I hadn’t heard yet but I’m shocked to hear it out of Mr. Proactivity himself.

There’s every chance Knight is our only chance at an elite talent with our pick. No-brainer for me.
I guess I'm happy with Grubauer myself and would rather have a piece like York or Lavoie who could he a second wave to extend a window or put us over the edge. I am comfortable with Grubauer for the time being and don't think you need an elite goalie just a solid one. My only gripe with your previous post was insinuating that we were in a mess when we currently have a starter with a good contract and a guy who looks like a potential starter in Francouz. Maybe use some 2nd or 3rd round picks to add some guys to the depth chart but I don't think our situation is a mess.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019
The Avs scouting staff seems like they try to value analytics, and Turcotte looks excellent in that regard. I'd honestly bet that they have Turcotte over Dach and Cozens.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
It's hard to answer your original question because scouts make their own list, but their lists are probably under a certain amount of foundation due to the consensus lists out there. I believe it has been confirmed out there that Avs both had Patrick and Hischier over both defenders, but Avs probably knew that a defender was going to drop to them. There really is no reason out there that Turcotte should go as low as 8th, none for me except if there is any sort injury issues and even then the team who gets him will get a gem.

Yeah I am fully expecting them to take a CHLer, but hopefully we get surprised again like last time with Rantanen because I one million percent thought they were going to take Crouse or Meier.

I was convinced they were going to go Crouse, too. I had a prospect crush on Rantanen that entire year and hoped and prayed they would take him if they could, and luckily they did. I guess I just need to have the same kind of Hope this year with Turcotte.

The Avs scouting staff seems like they try to value analytics, and Turcotte looks excellent in that regard. I'd honestly bet that they have Turcotte over Dach and Cozens.

I hope you’re right! I’m definitely ready to be surprised. Like Tkachuk last year, Turcotte has really made me a believer in him. I think he’d be the perfect 2C behind Nate.

Reactions: LTC Pain and Avsboy

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Did one of those mock top 100 and came away with:

D Byram (4)
C Lavoie (16)
LW/C Beecher (47)
G Guzda (63)
RW Gutik (78)

I suppose I would be cool with all of that.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I hope Hawks don’t take Turcotte at 3. After catching up on a bunch of recorded games I agree with some of our posters here that he is probably our best pick. I like his total offensive toolset better than Cozens and he’s way more engaged than Dach. If Dach had that kind of motor he would be the better player, but from what I’ve seen in life in general, people don’t just suddenly become hard workers.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I hope Hawks don’t take Turcotte at 3. After catching up on a bunch of recorded games I agree with some of our posters here that he is probably our best pick. I like his total offensive toolset better than Cozens and he’s way more engaged than Dach. If Dach had that kind of motor he would be the better player, but from what I’ve seen in life in general, people don’t just suddenly become hard workers.

If Dach has Turcotte’s motor he’d be going 1st and would be argued as the next Lindros

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Why bother drafting and developing high end goalies when we have a perfectly good goalie farm in Washington?

giphy.gif

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I guess I'm happy with Grubauer myself and would rather have a piece like York or Lavoie who could he a second wave to extend a window or put us over the edge. I am comfortable with Grubauer for the time being and don't think you need an elite goalie just a solid one. My only gripe with your previous post was insinuating that we were in a mess when we currently have a starter with a good contract and a guy who looks like a potential starter in Francouz. Maybe use some 2nd or 3rd round picks to add some guys to the depth chart but I don't think our situation is a mess.

If Grubauer solidifies the starting spot for the next 4-5 years I’d be ecstatic. I don’t want to go jinxing anything in the playoffs but nothing about Gru feels like a permanent fix to me.

If you’re comfortable rolling with Grubauer that’s great. In a perfect world, we get March/April Gru for the next 4-5 years and then have an elite prospect ready to step in.

Passing on Knight just perpetuates the problem.

I get the reasoning, I just value solving our goaltending long term over another flyer on a mid-1st caliber prospect. Knight at 16 would be the best value, if available.

I just think it’s funny that cgf of all people thinks Sakic should sit back and not be proactive about it.

Reactions: flyfysher

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Seems like all this top prospects from up coming draft are having a good U18 tournament, its gonna be a tough decision for Sakic and company who to take at #4. I still think its gonna be Cozens

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012

Dach is this year's Strome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad