Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part III

We've talked about Ottawa's pick enough, lets start to separate who we want at 11th? (as of 02/06)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Oh ok. I didn't know our scouting was so bad. I guess our last big 2nd rounder was Orielly?

Barrie was our 3rd in that draft. What a great year...even our 2nd (Elliot) looked promising for a while.

Yeah it’s been horrible forever. Hopefully that changes here soon.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Cole Caufield buddy! DeBrincat 2.0.
I'd love to pick him up. He seems like a Cammalleri type of player in the future. But where do you feel comfortable picking him? Early second for sure maybe late first. But I wonder if he'll make it that far.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ville Heinola is the guy I want the Avs to take if we end up with a pick in the 21-40 range. Thought he had a really strong World Juniors, it was impressive that he not only made the team as a 17 year old but played a significant role for them as well before getting hurt. He's not huge but that's not a big deal, he's solid defensively for his age, is learning the pro game already by playing in the Finnish league and he's actually doing quite well in the league. 7 points in 24 games as a 17 year old is quite impressive.

If we managed to come out of the draft with say Hughes/Kakko using the Ottawa pick, Turcotte with our own pick, and then snagged Heinola at ~35 with our own 2nd rounder I would be absolutely thrilled. Even better if we could move Jost+ for a pick in the mid teens of the first round and snag Spencer Knight as well.

Hughes
Turcotte
Knight
Heinola

Out of the first 2 rounds of the draft would be absolutely amazing.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'd love to pick him up. He seems like a Cammalleri type of player in the future. But where do you feel comfortable picking him? Early second for sure maybe late first. But I wonder if he'll make it that far.
I have Caufield pretty high (12th in my last list), but it depends on who drops. I would absolutely pick him over the likes Lavoie, Poulin, Soderstrom, Brink, Suzuki, McMichael, and a couple others. However, if someone like Turcotte, Podkolzin (if there is any Russian factor), Broberg, Krebs, or Boldy falls around that area I think you pick one of those.

Reactions: avsfan09

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I have Caufield pretty high (12th in my last list), but it depends on who drops. I would absolutely pick him over the likes Lavoie, Poulin, Soderstrom, Brink, Suzuki, McMichael, and a couple others. However, if someone like Turcotte, Podkolzin (if there is any Russian factor), Broberg, Krebs, or Boldy falls around that area I think you pick one of those.
I'd probably pick Lavoie over him but I agree for the most part his goal scoring ability in the USHL has been exceptional.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Caufield maybe late 1st or 2nd round. He is very small which the AVs have plenty and benefitted from Hughes passes.

The expected range of 8-15 will still have better option.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I personally have Caufield closer to SEPH's spot than the 2nd round, and I think if he was even 5'10" nobody would bat an eye picking him in the top 10. It is going to take a GM that is willing to put his neck on the line to select him in the top 25.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
With the success of players like DeBrincat, somebody will take a chance on Caufield in the top 20, IMO. He's just too good to be slipping into the 2nd, size be damned. It's not like he lets it hold him back much either, he throws himself into the corners and in front of the net with surprising regularity. That may not fly in the NHL, and he'll likely need 2-3 years in college to mature physically as much as possible before he gets there, but his talent for finding soft spots and sniping is undeniable.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
With the success of players like DeBrincat, somebody will take a chance on Caufield in the top 20, IMO. He's just too good to be slipping into the 2nd, size be damned. It's not like he lets it hold him back much either, he throws himself into the corners and in front of the net with surprising regularity. That may not fly in the NHL, and he'll likely need 2-3 years in college to mature physically as much as possible before he gets there, but his talent for finding soft spots and sniping is undeniable.

But it did hold up Rocco Grimaldi... teams are just naturally wary about smaller players. I believe he will be a great pick by anybody who selects him, but that scouting staff and GM are taking a large risk so they will want to minimize it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So is Caulfield compared to Debrincat because he's small AND not fast?
They're similar due to their lethal shot and smallish @Duchene2MacKinnon frame. On the other hand they're different in a number of ways; first DeBrincat is built thicker and is able to handle the physical game better. Caufield is a much better skater, more of a warrior, and is the first into the dirty areas even though there will be limitations in his game. Even though I wouldn't argue between the comparison of Caufield and DeBrincat, I prefer the case that Caufield is more similar to Cam Atkinson in the way he plays the game.

Last edited:

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
They're similar due to their lethal shot and smallish @Duchene2MacKinnon frame. On the other hand they're different in a number of ways; first DeBrincat is built thicker and is able to handle the physical game better. Caufield is a much better skater, more of a warrior, and is the first into the dirty areas even though there will be limitations in his game. Even though I wouldn't argue between the comparison of Caufield and DeBrincat, I prefer the case that Caufield is very similar to Cam Atkinson in the way he plays the game.

Shhhhhh!!!!! Before Joe hears you!

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Can we please stay the **** away from small players for a little while.

Small players who can't skate fast, or big slow players.

Small + Insanely fast

Medium + Fast

Big + Fast

Big + good skating

If you don't meet those criteria no thanks. Basically NHL players..

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
I prefer Kakko #2 and Krebs #10 or Turcotte as Hugues #1 and Boldy #9 or Lavoie or Kaliyev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad