Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part III

We've talked about Ottawa's pick enough, lets start to separate who we want at 11th? (as of 02/06)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Are you a professional hockey scout? Cuz otherwise that’s a pretty ironic comment.
Don't you know? BleedWell is the one who discovered Sebastien Aho, Sasha Barkov, and Mikko Rantanen.

Rumour has it that when Teemu Selanne was just a child he saw him eating some peas, and the way that he pushed those peas around with his little spoon, it spoke to BleedWell. He declared that Teemu will be a fantastic hockey player one day. Everyone laughed at the time but here we are...

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Oh man this thread is making me laugh this afternoon.

I'm torn as to whether I want BleedWell to leave for 6 months or stay. If he stays it keeps things a lot more entertaining around here especially in the very dead summer months. If he leaves the hockey intelligence level of our boards probably doubles.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I'm torn as to whether I want BleedWell to leave for 6 months or stay. If he stays it keeps things a lot more entertaining around here especially in the very dead summer months. If he leaves the hockey intelligence level of our boards probably doubles.

Eh, let him take the easy way out & hide. Making him wear an avi of the Hughes bros may be funnier, but his ego seems too fragile for that.

Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018

If the scouts stay dishonest till the end like you Pierce (although they have been consistent at least, you change your mind every month:shakehead) I'll be back before Santa gives you a new Star Trek toy:x):

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You guys are still biting? Clearly he was taught how to fish cause at this rate he's gunna be fat and happy for a long time.

I'm just bored & killing time before my friend gets back to her place :laugh:
Neymar? Isn't that the guy who did the ridiculous rolling around the field flop that became viral and everyone did 'the Neymar'?

Yeah.

FWIW he's also the most fouled player in the history of the World Cup and almost had his career ended in 2014 when he took a flying knee to the spine that ended his tournament.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I’d say we need both equally. I mean I’ve seen people say that Byram could be a similar player to Morgan Reilly in style and ceiling. If we could add someone like that to our D-core that’d be great and you could eventually move Barrie for a top 6 fwd like everyone wants to.

Now obviously Hughes/Kakko are of the utmost importance but I’d consider Byram over anyone other than those two and Cozens.
So Byram at 4 then. I agree

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Why can't a defenceman be considered a secondary scorer?
It can. I was talking about a second line. We need a second line that can produce consistantly. Nothing will improve the team more, than having a second scoring line.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
No, we need the Best available player.

If that's Byram, that's who we need to take.
Yeah, I would have zero complaints about Byram with the first pick if it's outside the top 2. Kid would be an ideal partner for Makar someday, he's just a beast of a 200 foot player.

As for the eternal Kakko/Hughes debate, I still go with Hughes, but the gap has narrowed considerably since the start of the season. Kakko is fantastic, and I would hardly consider it "losing" the lottery if Ottawa slips to 2OA.

Reactions: avsfan09

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Byram ticks a lot of boxes for me & what I like in my blueliners now, but there's just something about him that makes me question how truly special he'll be in the NHL...because I'm not sure he's skilled or creative enough to be super dynamic at this level.

Now, these are the same concerns Henchy had with Heiskanen and Miro's worked out as well as I could've ever hoped when he was still a prospect. But I'm still dubious that Byram won't prove to be more Hanifin...or even Bouwmeester...than Heiskanen.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Byram ticks a lot of boxes for me & what I like in my blueliners now, but there's just something about him that makes me question how truly special he'll be in the NHL...because I'm not sure he's skilled or creative enough to be super dynamic at this level.

Now, these are the same concerns Henchy had with Heiskanen and Miro's worked out as well as I could've ever hoped when he was still a prospect. But I'm still dubious that Byram won't prove to be more Hanifin...or even Bouwmeester...than Heiskanen.

I'd love to add a peak Bouwmeester to this squad. I like Byram I don't think he ends up an elite 1D but I think there's a chance he can get there. But I can definitely see a very good top line defenseman there even a lower end 1D like Reilly.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
The NHL draft is based on BPA, but forwards have had a higher value at the top of the draft board in recent years (particularly centers).

I seem to recall the studies that indicated that if you want an elite scoring forward, you really need to draft one high (top-10).
Lately the trend has been the same for defenseman aswell.

Reactions: McMetal

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I still have some long-term concerns about Heiskanen's offensive upside. He's got smarts and skating, not sure he has the ultra dynamic offensive skill set to be a 50+ point guy. Not needed in a #1, but there are still some questions there. He has tracked better than I thought pre U18s that year though and looks everybit a top pairing guy. I think Byram has some similar questions. No doubt he is putting up great numbers, just not sure if I see high-end offensive ability there. I'd fee comfortable projecting a really solid 2-3 though.

Reactions: cgf and S E P H

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

How about his goal total and the fact he has scored 6 ot winners. That at the very least indicates he has alot of poise in big situations and poise is one if the main things I look for in a defenseman that has the tools to be a #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad