Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part III

We've talked about Ottawa's pick enough, lets start to separate who we want at 11th? (as of 02/06)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Apparently Kakko mentioned that he watches a lot of Avs games when asked about his favourite NHL team.

Kakko-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Landeskog-Hayes-Apparently Not Stone
Yes he did. But that's no wonder since him and Rants are buds and we have the Ottawa pick.
And if there were any doubts did we have the best line in hockey this year that first line would definitely be.

HugeMetalFan

Jul 30, 2015
If we do end up with Byram, how do we get 2C? I'm not sure relying on free agency is a safe move. And does Barrie even have such a value to return a 2C?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I actually would like to know Mr. Dater (@BleedWell), will you still be an Avs fan or on this board if we do not end up with Kakko?

Considering I was Finland not long ago watching games, your claim is nonsense.
Did the plane slip off the runway or did it have chains? :sarcasm:

Who'd win in a fight between Goku & Superman? Kakko.
Directed by Team Fourstar, I would kill to see that.

...you realize that I'm wearing this avi because I lost a bet about the Nylander contract; a bet where I had wagered that he'd sign for 7M per this past summer...

And secondly, so what if I did? If you think that a person can not enjoy or cheer for athletes that do not share their passport; then it is you, my friend, who is living in a very weird (and archaic) world.
Lol, that makes a ton of sense. Better have a bloke who got surgery so he wouldn't miss his sister's birthday than any German who's currently playing on RM (considering the season they're having). ;):sarcasm:

I still have some long-term concerns about Heiskanen's offensive upside. He's got smarts and skating, not sure he has the ultra dynamic offensive skill set to be a 50+ point guy. Not needed in a #1, but there are still some questions there. He has tracked better than I thought pre U18s that year though and looks everybit a top pairing guy. I think Byram has some similar questions. No doubt he is putting up great numbers, just not sure if I see high-end offensive ability there. I'd fee comfortable projecting a really solid 2-3 though.
Glad we see the same issues concerning Byram, but I don't think it is wrong to say that he's had a good enough season and potential to be safely regarded as a #2 defender. Drafting a #3 defender in the top 5 is an absolute no-go for me.

Again, 4th overall isn't that easy of selection as you lot think (not targeting you Hench). You got Cozens, who has all the tools and is a natural centre. You have Podkolzin and his ability to create something out of nothing with the puck. You got superb cerebral playmaker Dach. Potential chance of dynamism Turcotte. Solid jack-of-all-trades Byram and of course Krebs is playing his way into top 5-7 discussions now considering what he's been able to do with no talent around him.

Last edited:

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
I actually would like to know Mr. Dater (@BleedWell), will you still be an Avs fan or on this board if we do not end up with Kakko?

Did the plane slip off the runway or did it have chains? :sarcasm:

Lol, that makes a ton of sense. Better have a bloke who got surgery so he wouldn't miss his sister's birthday than any German who's currently playing on RM (considering the season they're having). ;):sarcasm:

Glad we see the same concerns concerning Byram, but I don't think it is wrong to say that he's had a good enough season and potential to be safely regarded as a #2 defender.

Again, 4th overall isn't that easy of selection as you lot think (not targeting you Hench). You got Cozens, has all the tools and is a natural centre. You have Podkolzin and his ability to create something out of nothing with the puck. You got superb cerebral playmaker Dach. Potential chance of dynamism Turcotte. Solid jack-of-all-trades Byram and of course Krebs is playing his way into top 5-7 discussions now considering what he's been able to do with no talent around him.
No. I'll move on covering the Celtics.

Reactions: S E P H

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

Looking good.

Look at Columbus, and imagine they lose those 4 players. Ouch.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
If we do end up with Byram, how do we get 2C? I'm not sure relying on free agency is a safe move. And does Barrie even have such a value to return a 2C?
Trade a shit-ton of futures. At that point we would have prospects coming in at all positions and only a few holes. Agressively filling them really would be the last piece to our championship caliber squad. Fill the 2c position and use our current prospects to fill our team out and keep cap down while competing for a cup.

HugeMetalFan

Jul 30, 2015
Trade a ****-ton of futures. At that point we would have prospects coming in at all positions and only a few holes. Agressively filling them really would be the last piece to our championship caliber squad. Fill the 2c position and use our current prospects to fill our team out and keep cap down while competing for a cup.
Yeah, I'm not sure we have such a deep prospect pool. I see a lot of holes/question marks at all positions. Also, it doesn't look like Sakic is going to be overly aggressive. But maybe he'll be forced to change approach. We'll see.

HugeMetalFan

Jul 30, 2015
Where do you see us lacking?
#1 goalie, #1 D (Makar is the best bet, but even if he pans out it'll take a while), #2 C and frankly whole 2nd line. Bottom 6 could use more quality players but I guess that is fixable relatively easy.

Reactions: cgf

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
#1 goalie, #1 D (Makar is the best bet, but even if he pans out it'll take a while), #2 C and frankly whole 2nd line. Bottom 6 could use more quality players but I guess that is fixable relatively easy.
I agree with Goaltending but this convo was assuming we drafted Byram. With Byram and Makar I'd feel pretty damn comfy at D.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Glad we see the same issues concerning Byram, but I don't think it is wrong to say that he's had a good enough season and potential to be safely regarded as a #2 defender. Drafting a #3 defender in the top 5 is an absolute no-go for me.

I'm probably a bit more conservative on projections as I age. To me the difference between a 2 and a 3 can be slim, but significant at the same time. I wouldn't be all that thrilled with landing a #3D with a top 5 pick, but I wouldn't find that much, if any, different than getting a 2nd line wing out of that pick too.

HugeMetalFan

Jul 30, 2015
I agree with Goaltending but this convo was assuming we drafted Byram. With Byram and Makar I'd feel pretty damn comfy at D.
Yes, that's true. Perhaps Sakic could afford to trade defense for top 6 players. After all, that's how Nashville got their top 2 centers.

Reactions: avsfan09

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
How about his goal total and the fact he has scored 6 ot winners. That at the very least indicates he has alot of poise in big situations and poise is one if the main things I look for in a defenseman that has the tools to be a #1

The way he's turned it up is why I waiver and am not just out on him in the top 5. But it's still production at a level where you can create with less dynamic tools...so it doesn't answer the question of whether his talent is special enough to produce exceptionally at the next level as well.

I'm not completely against Byram by any means; as he does tick a lot of boxes for me and sooner or later I'll see enough of him to get a handle on how I feel about how his skill will translate...but for now I'm still really iffy.

That would be amazing. I can't wait to see them cover Gohan's High School days & the Great Saiyaman Saga...since that's the best part of DBZ...but I'd wait for that :laugh:

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Just went to over to tankathon. First sim, we got the second pick... with our own pick. Ottawa got 4th. What a fun draft that would be.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I still have some long-term concerns about Heiskanen's offensive upside. He's got smarts and skating, not sure he has the ultra dynamic offensive skill set to be a 50+ point guy. Not needed in a #1, but there are still some questions there. He has tracked better than I thought pre U18s that year though and looks everybit a top pairing guy. I think Byram has some similar questions. No doubt he is putting up great numbers, just not sure if I see high-end offensive ability there. I'd fee comfortable projecting a really solid 2-3 though.

That's fair. I think he'll be at least a perennial 40-45+ point guy in his prime, which with his skating & smarts is still good enough to become a #1; as you said. Wasn't trying to call you out or beat my own chest on that...just trying to say that those concerns you had with Miro back then, are how I feel about Byram now.

Miro showed the skill & puck control to have translateable offense, even if it doesn't end up matching what Makar may produce, whereas with Byram I'm still very skeptical on how much of it will translate. I mean a 30-35 point guy with his skating and decent size is still a really nice blueliner to have...and would be our best LHD...but not at the cost of a pick that could've been spent on a Turcotte / Podkolzin / Cozens instead.
I'd love to add a peak Bouwmeester to this squad. I like Byram I don't think he ends up an elite 1D but I think there's a chance he can get there. But I can definitely see a very good top line defenseman there even a lower end 1D like Reilly.

I would to...but not in lieu of a 65+ point C or PPG winger...

Last edited:

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Just went to over to tankathon. First sim, we got the second pick... with our own pick. Ottawa got 4th. What a fun draft that would be.
2nd spin
Screenshot_20190311-185006.png

Reactions: tucker3434
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad