Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part III

We've talked about Ottawa's pick enough, lets start to separate who we want at 11th? (as of 02/06)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
What’s the general consensus in Finland on Americans? My wife keeps mentioning how fun it would be to live abroad for a year or two, and we don’t want to go anywhere that’s too much like the US (meaning the UK, primarily).
Might as well move this to the lounge.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He can be draft since he's a '99, same birth year as Brett Leason. If he went through this draft and was not drafted he would then be eligible to be signed, but will probably decline as it will ruin his NCAA eligibility. Not to discredit him because his stats are insane as a defender and he leads his team in points, but Tri-City is loaded all around - easily the best team in the USHL.

Reactions: avsfan09

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
He can be draft since he's a '99, same birth year as Brett Leason. If he went through this draft and was not drafted he would then be eligible to be signed, but will probably decline as it will ruin his NCAA eligibility. Not to discredit him because his stats are insane as a defender and he leads his team in points, but Tri-City is loaded all around - easily the best team in the USHL.
He's also like an overager in the CHL where his numbers could very well look better than they really are.

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He's also like an overager in the CHL where his numbers could very well look better than they really are.
Don't get me wrong, he seems like a very good prospect who might've been a late bloomer that we're also seeing with Brett Leason, but the difference is that CHL normally have players play beyond their 18 year old season. USHL, though still a very good league and is getting much better, normally lose their best players to the NCAA after their 18 year old season. So a lot of the 19 year olds are either not good enough to be drafted, nor signed to an NCAA scholarship, or were simply late bloomers like Attard is displaying.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Alex Turcotte would be an awesome pick. Really seems to fit exactly what they'd want in a 2C behind MacKinnon. Such a strong skater, and strong for his size. I'd be stoked with any of Hughes/Kakko/Byram/Turcotte/Dach

Going to be a fun draft!

Reactions: Brett44 and Murzu

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
Alex Turcotte would be an awesome pick. Really seems to fit exactly what they'd want in a 2C behind MacKinnon. Such a strong skater, and strong for his size. I'd be stoked with any of Hughes/Kakko/Byram/Turcotte/Dach

Going to be a fun draft!

Add Knight and I would be beyond thrilled for the Avs to select two players from this list!

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017

Going to be a fun draft!
Forgot Cozens

Reactions: ibengals

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I just love what I'm reading about Turcotte. Would be a fantastic 2C in 2-3 years. If we don't get Hughes or Kakko with Sens pick I really hope Avs pick him.

Reactions: highlandeskog

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Just saw the Sportsnet prospect rankings, and they're a bit puzzling to me. Not that I think Sportsnet has any clue what's going on, but Turcotte ranked #9 seems silly to me, especially since his teammate Matthew Boldy is ahead of him at #8. Also a lot of talented defensemen who didn't even crack the top-31.

Sportsnet’s 2019 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings: February - Sportsnet.ca

Sportsnet had Adam Boqvist at #5 this time last year, and have Victor Soderstrom at #20 this year. I actually think Soderstrom is a bit better than Boqvist, so it makes little sense to me.

Reactions: highlandeskog

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If we miss out on Jack/Kap I will be pissed if we dont get Turcotte. He checks every box of what this team needs for a 2C.

Then I think I want Kalyiev with our 1st if it's outside the Top 10. A goal scorer with 40+ upside is another thing this team could definitely use. Either that or a big upside Dma.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
If we miss out on Jack/Kap I will be pissed if we dont get Turcotte. He checks every box of what this team needs for a 2C.

Then I think I want Kalyiev with our 1st if it's outside the Top 10. A goal scorer with 40+ upside is another thing this team could definitely use. Either that or a big upside Dma.

The only way I'd want them to draft Kaliyev is if it's in the 20s. He's got a great shot, but his apathy for anything but scoring is very apparent.

Reactions: McMetal

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

Agree with you on Turcotte with Krebs being my second choice.

Absolutely disagree with you on Kaliev. He could become this year Laine. This team still isn't in a position to take that kind of gamble on their own 1st regardless of the other 1st they have. I'm ok with a calculated gamble but Kaliev is way too much of a gamble for me.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Agree with you on Turcotte with Krebs being my second choice.

Absolutely disagree with you on Kaliev. He could become this year Laine. This team still isn't in a position to take that kind of gamble on their own 1st regardless of the other 1st they have. I'm ok with a calculated gamble but Kaliev is way too much of a gamble for me.

For a potential 40 Goal scorer they absolutely are in that position.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Someone needs to report this to the NBA ASAP.
200_s.gif

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
For a potential 40 Goal scorer they absolutely are in that position.
Not IMO. 40 goal scorer that doesn't bring very much outside of goals. I'll pass. I prefer to find a 30 goal player that can play the rest of the ice as well. He doesn't even play well in the offensive zone without the puck except for finding the open ice. He is a one-trick pony. If he doesn't score he becomes this year Laine. No thanks! Caufield, Brink, Lavoie, Leason, Foote and Pelletier would all be better picks than him. They all have risk associated to them but all smaller gamble and they all can score. Not 40 but potential for 25-30 and much better play away from the puck.

Agree to disagree.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's normal that 2nd or 3rd round players don't become NHLers. It's just that it can't happen all the time. Got to have some NHLers in there too. With five picks in the top 80 this year, they need to make it count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad