Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part III

We've talked about Ottawa's pick enough, lets start to separate who we want at 11th? (as of 02/06)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Byram is growing on me more and more. One big factor why is that he's still only 17 and wont be 18 until June. He's one of the youngest players in the draft which is always an added factor for me. The fact he's a year younger then some of his peers and still having such a strong season makes it even better.

Hughes/Kakko with Ottawa's pick and then hopefully the Avs pick is at a spot where Byram is available, assuming we miss playoffs.

To me we'd easily have the best prospects pool in the entire NHL at least for this summer. A Top 5 that would include Hughes, Makar, Byram, Kaut, and Timmins, no other team in the league comes close to that group.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Byram is growing on me more and more. One big factor why is that he's still only 17 and wont be 18 until June. He's one of the youngest players in the draft which is always an added factor for me. The fact he's a year younger then some of his peers and still having such a strong season makes it even better.

Hughes/Kakko with Ottawa's pick and then hopefully the Avs pick is at a spot where Byram is available, assuming we miss playoffs.

To me we'd easily have the best prospects pool in the entire NHL at least for this summer. A Top 5 that would include Hughes, Makar, Byram, Kaut, and Timmins, no other team in the league comes close to that group.
It is known.

As long as the Avs continue their losing ways, our top 3 should be among the best any team has had in the cap era.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Give me Kakko and Broberg and I'll be a happy man. Might even be able to swallow another season with Bedsy behind the bench in that case. Maybe.

Edit: agreed on Morris, too. So many signs point favorably in our direction there.
I don't think Bednar will be around next year, especially if we end up with some shiny new toys. Sakic knows that the clock is ticking, and complacency is over.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I don't think Bednar will be around next year, especially if we end up with some shiny new toys. Sakic knows that the clock is ticking, and complacency is over.

I'll believe that when I see it. Especially if we miss playoffs this year and end up with a Top 10 pick Bednar should absolutely be gone, but I'm certainly not convinced Sakic will be the one to fire him.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I'll believe that when I see it. Especially if we miss playoffs this year and end up with a Top 10 pick Bednar should absolutely be gone, but I'm certainly not convinced Sakic will be the one to fire him.
We are going to miss the playoffs. I hope Sakic finds a replacement with actual NHL experience.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Nathan Légaré at eliteprospects.com
I'll admit I never have watched him but his numbers and size seem like they indicate he should be ranked much higher right? Any prospect guys have insight on this player?
Good player - plays way bigger than his size and has some nastiness in his game. Additionally, he has great two-way ability and is a very attention to detail focus player. Not sure he has that level of offence ability that his numbers say, I think a part of it is from being on a loaded team which is one of the best in the "Q". Because of that not sure he is a 1st rounder, however, he does have some talent that I quite like him for the top 90 (got him in the top third of the 3rd round currently, but he's rising). Hard to say who he plays like because he's more physical than someone like Yanni Gourde, but less of a fighting version of Cedric Paquette.

geofff

Aug 12, 2014
www.makeitsostudios.com
Byram will be gone by pick 4 or 5, at the moment I think it's between him and Podkolzin for 3rd. Obviously it depends slightly on team needs, but he is too good to fall far.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Byram will be gone by pick 4 or 5, at the moment I think it's between him and Podkolzin for 3rd. Obviously it depends slightly on team needs, but he is too good to fall far.

I dont think he's going that high, I also dont think Podkolzin goes at 3 either.

Hughes
Kakko
Turcotte/Cozens

That's how I see the Top 4 going with Dach, Podkolzin, and Byram then going anywhere from 5-7.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I dont think he's going that high, I also dont think Podkolzin goes at 3 either.

Hughes
Kakko
Turcotte/Cozens

That's how I see the Top 4 going with Dach, Podkolzin, and Byram then going anywhere from 5-7.
Depends on team needs as well. If someone desperately needs D instead of forwards they should be picking Byram. Draft the best player available is the saying, however often there is no way to know who that really is. Only fools draft the same kind of player year after year even if they are considered the BPA.

Reactions: Iracundia

TheDangerBowen

Highway to
Jul 4, 2011
CO
If the Avs do actually end up with 2 top 5 picks its crazy how much it helps the rebuild..

For example if we strike gold we end up with Hughes and Kakko. BAM perfect replacements and we can trade Mackinnon and Rantanen.

If we get to draft Byram, even better! That would allow the Avs to trade Makar (who will have replaced Barrie) to be replaced by Byram.

Thats how rebuilding works right?!?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If the Avs do actually end up with 2 top 5 picks its crazy how much it helps the rebuild..

For example if we strike gold we end up with Hughes and Kakko. BAM perfect replacements and we can trade Mackinnon and Rantanen.

If we get to draft Byram, even better! That would allow the Avs to trade Makar (who will have replaced Barrie) to be replaced by Byram.

Thats how rebuilding works right?!?

#NowThisIsAProcess

Reactions: missionAvs

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Makar will be another year closer to unrestricted free agency next year, that's definitely worrisome plus who are we going to be left having expose in 2028 when the NHL adds 2 more clubs?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
FinnProspects.com has Anttoni Honka ranked as the sixth Finn in the draft behind Kakko, Heinola, Kokkonen, Patrik Puistola and Lassi Thomson. Henri Nikkanen at 7.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
There's a Finnish kid whose last name is "Thomson?"
There’s a Finnish kid in the 2022 draft named Brad Lambert, haha. He’s expected to go really high, too.

Seems like the Finns are naming their children very American names so they get drafted higher... Speaking of, did you know Kaapo Kakko is an old, old American name? It means “Good Boy.”

Reactions: Pokecheque

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Alright, so, I know I’m getting ahead of myself here, but if we were to land a top-2 pick from the Sens and a top-15 pick from our own team, which player can we take with the later pick that would go along best with Hughes or Kakko?

For me, I think Boldy would be a perfect winger for Hughes. As for a center for Kakko, I’m thinking Cozens is the best match at center. They can switch positions if Kakko does end up at center, too.

And for my personal prospect crush for this year, Turcotte, I’d say him and Krebs together would be such a hard match-up for any opposing team’s top line. Their effort every shift would be out of this world.

Reactions: Brett44

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Was reading Scott Wheeler's mid-season ranking on the Athletic (Wheeler: Midseason ranking for the 2019 NHL draft’s top 62...)and stumbled upon this:

28. Nicholas Robertson: C/LW, Peterborough Petes, 5-foot-9

NICK ROBERTSON PLAYS HOCKEY IN CAPS LOCK. HE SKATES REALLY FAST. HE HITS REALLY HARD. HE CAN RIP THE CURL-AND-DRAG RELEASE OFF THE RUSH. IF IT DOESN’T GO IN, HE’S FOLLOWING IT TO THE TOP OF THE CREASE. IF THAT DOESN’T WORK, HE’LL CHASE YOU DOWN, HE’LL FIND YOU AND HE’LL KILL YOU. HE’S BASICALLY LIAM NEESON. HE’LL PROBABLY HURT HIMSELF SOMEWHERE ALONG THE WAY BUT HE’LL MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN OR DIE TRYING.
All seriousness: If Robertson’s ridiculous compete level and the way he attacks in waves doesn’t make him a second-line forward, it’ll make him a third-line one.
Anyone watch him play? I know he's small but damn that sounds like a fun player to watch. Those that have watched him, would he be worth it with our second rounder if he's still available?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
There's a Finnish kid whose last name is "Thomson?"
There’s a Finnish kid in the 2022 draft named Brad Lambert, haha. He’s expected to go really high, too.

Seems like the Finns are naming their children very American names so they get drafted higher... Speaking of, did you know Kaapo Kakko is an old, old American name? It means “Good Boy.”
There's Christopher Gibson too.

Lots of two-way movement between English speaking countries and Finland, and people have spoken English in certain circles for a long time. This kid Thomson is just from Tampere, Finland.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Was reading Scott Wheeler's mid-season ranking on the Athletic (Wheeler: Midseason ranking for the 2019 NHL draft’s top 62...)and stumbled upon this:

28. Nicholas Robertson: C/LW, Peterborough Petes, 5-foot-9

NICK ROBERTSON PLAYS HOCKEY IN CAPS LOCK. HE SKATES REALLY FAST. HE HITS REALLY HARD. HE CAN RIP THE CURL-AND-DRAG RELEASE OFF THE RUSH. IF IT DOESN’T GO IN, HE’S FOLLOWING IT TO THE TOP OF THE CREASE. IF THAT DOESN’T WORK, HE’LL CHASE YOU DOWN, HE’LL FIND YOU AND HE’LL KILL YOU. HE’S BASICALLY LIAM NEESON. HE’LL PROBABLY HURT HIMSELF SOMEWHERE ALONG THE WAY BUT HE’LL MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN OR DIE TRYING.
All seriousness: If Robertson’s ridiculous compete level and the way he attacks in waves doesn’t make him a second-line forward, it’ll make him a third-line one.
Anyone watch him play? I know he's small but damn that sounds like a fun player to watch. Those that have watched him, would he be worth it with our second rounder if he's still available?
Absolutely love Robertson, not sure I buy a lot of that "alpha male Jersey shore" scouting report like him "hitting hard". However, there is so much to like about his game.

It's kind of funny, because his brother is Stars 2nd round selection Jason Robertson and both are completely different players. Jason has some skating issues, but has a much better frame to protect the puck and has one of the most lethal shots not in the NHL. Nicholas is much smaller, but is a much more smooth and fluid skater, doesn't have as good of a shot, much better playmaking ability, and much better hockey IQ (also is an elusive stickhandler). Size will be an issue when it comes to becoming a centre long term, but his puck distribution and decisions are elite centre quality.

I like him enough that I would absolute draft him around the 17th to 23rd mark and I suggest that a team might realistically like him in that spot too. He's been rising ever since he's come back from injury and showcasing why he deserves to be a late 1st rounder. As Wheeler said though, he also has a no stop motor, but I would like to see his play away from the puck be better considering he isn't a dumb player at any standard. Thinking of a player for comparison, I wasn't sure I wanted to use him because he isn't as tricky or dynamic as Gaudreau is, but there is a lot of Johnny in his game. If not, a better comparison might be Mikael Granlund - I suggest he has around the same talent level as well, but I must admit I might overvaluing him because I like him a lot.

Lambert's father is actually Canadian - I believe he played in Liiga, retired in the country, works for a Liiga team, and married a Finnish woman. Not sure what country Lambert considers himself, but he was born in Finland and has lived in Finland his whole life and he is one hell of a player. However, he has Canadian citizenship since his father is Canadian, he chose Finland in a non-IIHF sanctioned event so there could still be a chance he chooses Canada in the long run.

Thomson has Scottish ancestry roots as a surname name, but if I recall correctly his great-something-grandfather was French.

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Someone in a Nordic country with "Son" at the end of their surname?!:eek:
-son isn't a Finnish suffix, though. I recently looked up surname stats from last fall for something else, and according to this there are 56 Finns named Thomson. And that's actually more than I would've thought. Also spotted nearby on the sheet; 56 people named Jokiharju, 58 people named Murphy, 58 people named Bennett. 12 374 people named Rantanen (ranked 25th, for reference the 25th most common US last name appears to be Walker).

Anyway, Honka's dropping cause Honka sucks, just like his brother does.

Last edited:
Reactions: cgf

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
There's Christopher Gibson too.

Lots of two-way movement between English speaking countries and Finland, and people have spoken English in certain circles for a long time. This kid Thomson is just from Tampere, Finland.
What’s the general consensus in Finland on Americans? My wife keeps mentioning how fun it would be to live abroad for a year or two, and we don’t want to go anywhere that’s too much like the US (meaning the UK, primarily).

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Lambert's father is actually Canadian - I believe he played in Liiga, retired in the country, works for a Liiga team, and married a Finnish woman. Not sure what country Lambert considers himself, but he was born in Finland and has lived in Finland his whole life and he is one hell of a player. However, he has Canadian citizenship since his father is Canadian, he chose Finland in a non-IIHF sanctioned event so there could still be a chance he chooses Canada in the long run.

Thomson has Scottish ancestry roots as a surname name, but if I recall correctly his great-something-grandfather was French.

Now this is pretty interesting. Born in Finland, raised there, seemingly learned hockey there. He could cause a ripple or two between the hockey ops of each country if he decided to rep Canada after developing in Finald.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->