Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread 3 - Sabres pick 7th, 31st

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'm not into Cozens either, which basically guarantees we take him as that's exactly what happened with Mittelstadt. I'm hopeful Mitts will shake out but he was a worrysome pick at the time and hasn't done a whole lot outside of rookie camps to show himself to be otherwise.
And...here we are. Please prove me wrong Dylan, seriously.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Wtf. Why take a dman with this pick whenits one of our strongest trade assets. Either take a forward that slipped or use it for help now

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
So far, I’d give Botterill a C+. We have solid defensive prospects in the pipeline. We have a collection of conservative levels of skill for forwards. We needed to inject some talent in that group. Whether that was playmakers or goal scorers. Cozens probably had the lowest ceiling of the group of forwards I had there, while having a lower floor than most of the rest.

Then they had an opportunity to hit a home run with the 31st pick. Instead it feels to me like they just decided to lean into the pitch and get beaned to get on base.

Very underwhelming draft so far. Only a handful of draft picks left for the draft. Not sure we have any assets that we should give up to move back into the draft, nor do I think we should pool picks together to move up.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Could be wrong but last I checked you have 6 D and 12 F on a roster right? Not sure why we need 75 LHD in the system. How about adding a skilled forward with balls? We needed to add skill up front and again we come out short.

I kinda see your point......but now that Pilut is likely an NHLer....the only real LD prospects we have are Samuelsson, Bryson and a couple of fliers in Cronholm and Worge-Kreu and Chukarov.

We needed an LD that could reasonably project as an NHLer, especially in 3-4 years.

And we did add some skill up front.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Cozens good, but Johnson? Why again LHD? Kaliyev, Lavoie, Brink, Hoglander on table, but he take LHD.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabremike

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I kinda see your point......but now that Pilut is likely an NHLer....the only real LD prospects we have are Samuelsson, Bryson and a couple of fliers in Cronholm and Worge-Kreu and Chukarov.

We needed an LD that could reasonably project as an NHLer, especially in 3-4 years.

And we did add some skill up front.
Meh, our top 3 NHL LHD are 19, 23, 25. Who cares about prospects in that scenario.

Reactions: Snippit

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Meh, our top 3 NHL LHD are 19, 23, 25. Who cares about prospects in that scenario.

There's pretty obvious room for improvement on our defense. Plus, needs can change quickly. The team is probably gonna look pretty different by the time we're talking about Johnson playing in the NHL. I imagine we'll probably be shedding some of that defensive depth for help up front in the coming months.

Reactions: Chainshot

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
It’s the third straight time Botts has drafted a low ceiling, high floor, safe pick with his second choice. The most concerning thing to me is that Botts seems to have a ‘system’ for drafting, that he isn’t capable of altering for the situation, and that belies how ill prepared he seems to be for this job.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Adding to that. Expect a USHL forward, or a scandavian defenseman or goalie with the rest of the draft

Reactions: Fearnot

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
It’s the third straight time Botts has drafted a low ceiling, high floor, safe pick with his second choice. The most concerning thing to me is that Botts seems to have a ‘system’ for drafting, that he isn’t capable of altering for the situation, and that belies how ill prepared he seems to be for this job.

It’s a solid system for building Rochester... which seems to be his only goal

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY

It's frustrating as a fan because even if Botterrill gets fired the next hire will have few difference makers ready to arrive. I understand there are times to play if safe but when you have been one of the worst teams in the entire NHL for many years you would think a strategy of planned aggression and upside would provide a better opportunity to move up.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
It’s a solid system for building Rochester... which seems to be his only goal

Well seeing as he worked strictly with their minor league team...It’s becoming more and more apparent the guy is comfortable at filling in bodies on teams without any sort of plan, but having a plan/system for a full franchise system is not something he’s capable of pulling off.

I would really really would like to know what his primary duties were in the Pittsburgh organization. Was he using his judgement in anything such as calling guys up when he thought they were ready, or was he the paperwork guy that made things official?

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Anaheim drafted the 2 players I wanted with our 1st round picks - Zegras and Tracey. Outside of Krueger working some magic with the current roster the Fire Botterill campaign should be in full swing by Thanksgiving.

Efectzoer

Jun 22, 2018
Anaheim drafted the 2 players I wanted with our 1st round picks - Zegras and Tracey. Outside of Krueger working some magic with the current roster the Fire Botterill campaign should be in full swing by Thanksgiving.
You have no idea how a new coach will change how the team plays yet you go with "magic" as the only possibility that there is success.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Was out last night and didn't have a lot of time to post.

Not super happy with the Cozens pick. Not with Cozens himself, but the logic behind the pick. The Sabres had Zegras on the board, and passed. Highly skilled centers are hard to come by.

Cozens himself, I think is a safe pick. His upside at center is Jeff Carter - a shoot first center with elite physical traits, who can dominate possession and also make plays. If he doesn't pan out there, he can go to wing where he can use his size and speed, eventually developing into a power forward. With the way the playoffs are, he's the type of forward who can play in those physical contest.

However, I still take Zegras. I think Cozens ends up at winger. And you take the center over the winger.

---------------
Johnson is a great pick. He's got Guhle's physical skills with Pysyk's game. He's a top 4 defensive defender who can cover for his partner. Well done by the Sabres.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->