Confirmed with Link: The 2019-2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs Discussion: Islanders vs Panthers

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Ok, back to hockey because I am a dork. No one appears to be taking the Isles serious in this series outside NYI land. Trotz and co will have them right where he wants them

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Ok, back to hockey because I am a dork. No one appears to be taking the Isles serious in this series outside NYI land. Trotz and co will have them right where he wants them

The Athletic recently had an article where three inputs--scout, executive, coach nominated the Isles to win.

Reactions: mm11 and buud

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
We're the Islanders. Nobody ever takes us seriously. Even in the dynasty years the hockey media at large never gave us full props. We were the filler between the Canadiens dynasty and the Oilers "dynasty".

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Assuming Pelech is healthy (with Cizikas also back), I am very interested in seeing what Trotz and co. can do with that defense and rolling four quality centers. Hopefully, some of the wingers step up and provide sufficient offense to take the series.

Reactions: Quicklime and buud

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
It could end up being a really conservative series, this layoff has been equivalent to a regular offseason but with less access to training.
Varly's timing and reflexes are gonna be off a little... we have to limit the shots against. Proper coverage and positioning will go a long way and getting the puck out of our zone efficiently and possessing it after that is crucial.
If Florida is faster than us, let's take away their lanes and finish our checks.If they're faster than us, we have to be better with our puck movement so we make them chase us... let's wear them down and tire them out.
Bobrovsky is going to be in a similar situation like Varly. 'Quality over quantity' in terms of shots is something we loosen up on...we need to get pucks on net and get to whatever rebounds.
Stay out of the box has been mentioned...absolutely! Might not be much room for error and taking lazy penalties won't help us. Keep our legs moving and try to draw a few calls our own.
The effort has to be consistently there, play to our strengths and the Isles will be fine with the synergy they're capable of as a team.

Reactions: buud

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If I’m in training camp I’m drilling the goalies hard. Put them in as many defensive zone drills and pepper them. The biggest thing with the goalies is timing. With such a long layoff that takes usually a few weeks of real game speed to get dialed in.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
If I’m in training camp I’m drilling the goalies hard. Put them in as many defensive zone drills and pepper them. The biggest thing with the goalies is timing. With such a long layoff that takes usually a few weeks of real game speed to get dialed in.

I'm hoping Trotz scrimmages some.

And I agree w/ the assessment of the poster above you. The Cat's 1st line is top-5 lethal. I've seen a good 12-15 games, when they are revving, eg. Barkov bulling into the zone, Hubie flanking or hovering behind D, they are in the elite of dangerous offenses. There's enough depth, however, Haula is no Trocheck. Noel Acciari gives them depth scoring, Boyle some brawn/FO. Connelly, Hoffman, and Dads even more depth. One of the best offenses in the league versus one of the best defenses.

Pelech is necessary, that's also why some moderate scrimmaging would do NYI well.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Obviously staying out of the box is key. Futhermore , The Isles really have no good excuse for an incompetent PP now that they've had time to reset and the equivalent of an entire off-season.

29th OA in Goals and 24th OA in % at the season pause. This is a known weakness and I'd like to believe Trotz is going to place extra emphasis on it heading into the post-season where it can make you or break you.

Without a new strategy, what happens in the Florida season is of little significance to me as the PP as it stood when we last saw NHL hockey is not good enough to bring them to a conference finals never the less a Stanley Cup (Covid Format or not)

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
The more I think about it, I think I want Ladd as the 3LW. It's a short series, short time to get ready and I liked his game before the break. Coupled with the fact he has always been a smart defensive forward, having him and Pageau would be nice.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The florida PP is tough from what I remember. Going to be interesting how the refs call these games..

Isles don’t take many penalties, but with Pageau aboard I like our PK units

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The more I think about it, I think I want Ladd as the 3LW. It's a short series, short time to get ready and I liked his game before the break. Coupled with the fact he has always been a smart defensive forward, having him and Pageau would be nice.

I disagree - I would prefer Wahlstrom over all candidates with Komarov Bellows and Kuhnackl ahead of him in the depth chart.

dal Colle might be even ahead of him

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I disagree - I would prefer Wahlstrom over all candidates with Komarov Bellows and Kuhnackl ahead of him in the depth chart.

dal Colle might be even ahead of him
Fair to want it, writing that out though is interesting. We have good depth forwards.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Are there any updates on players currently training now?

Staple ran an article a week or so ago about the Isles still on Long Island who were working out. Bailey, Clutterbuck, Martin, Greiss, Mayfield, Toews, and Gibson were the group that had started. He also mentioned Boychuk and Hickey were on Long Island so they'd likely join that grouping. Pageau had started skating up in Canada too. Other than that I do not know of anyone else.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
yea yea yea, let's start this dance already. LGI!
Watching the behavior of our fellow citizens and the once-again-arcing-up-curve, sadly, rather than getting closer, it's becoming a longer shot every day that "this dance" will ever happen. Frankly, I'm just hoping there's going to be a '20-'21 season on a somewhat reasonable timeline. Like Dec/Jan.

Last edited:

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Staple ran an article a week or so ago about the Isles still on Long Island who were working out. Bailey, Clutterbuck, Martin, Greiss, Mayfield, Toews, and Gibson were the group that had started. He also mentioned Boychuk and Hickey were on Long Island so they'd likely join that grouping. Pageau had started skating up in Canada too. Other than that I do not know of anyone else.

Yeah, so nothing since. Is Barzal skating in BC, is Varly working on that glove hand in Russia (lol) etc.?

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Watching the behavior of our fellow citizens and the once-again-arcing-up-curve, sadly, rather than getting closer, it's becoming a longer shot every day that "this dance" will ever happen. Frankly, I'm just hoping there's going to be a '20-'21 season on a somewhat reasonable timeline. Like Dec/Jan.

Which season is it now? Covid 19 or Riot season?

Reactions: buud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad