The 2019-2020 Off season thread

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Oilers fan coming to ask what it would cost for Miller and/or one of Eakin/Haula...

If we steal McCrimmon from you guys I could see him circle back to take some cap casualties off your hands

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Oilers fan coming to ask what it would cost for Miller and/or one of Eakin/Haula...

If we steal McCrimmon from you guys I could see him circle back to take some cap casualties off your hands

I'd value Miller at a mid/late 1st. Eakin 2nd/3rd. Haula if healthy somewhere in between.

So not sure I see something that would justify that package especially within the division. If Bellemare leaves I would be fine with something like Eakin for Brodziak+ a 2nd.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

I think Eakin could be a good second liner with the right linemates and Miller turned us into a more effective unit where we were the better team in five of the six games he was in.

They are good parts of a good team and trading them to a divisional rival that could definitely get going with the best player may make the cost not really worth it.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I'd value Miller at a mid/late 1st. Eakin 2nd/3rd. Haula if healthy somewhere in between.

So not sure I see something that would justify that package especially within the division. If Bellemare leaves I would be fine with something like Eakin for Brodziak+ a 2nd.

I think Eakin could be a good second liner with the right linemates and Miller turned us into a more effective unit where we were the better team in five of the six games he was in.

They are good parts of a good team and trading them to a divisional rival that could definitely get going with the best player may make the cost not really worth it.
Would you guys take Bear + 2 3rds for Haula? Or maybe the 39th pick this year?

I don't really see a spot in your lineup for him with Gusev and Glass coming in next year. He'd add speed and skill to our 3rd line. Also, can you comment on his defensive/pk abilities?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

I don't really see a spot in your lineup for him with Gusev and Glass coming in next year. He'd add speed and skill to our 3rd line. Also, can you comment on his defensive/pk abilities?

I think I'm higher on Bear than others so I might not be the best to ask that hahaha.

I think you're seeing our lineup correctly. With Gusev, Glass and Tuch where do we put Haula or Eakin?

As for Haula defensively, he isn't bad but he also isn't special. He's much more of an offensive forward, he could absolutely put up 30 goals and 60 points with the centers you have. He pretty much did that with Perron as Neal only played half the games. And there were no statistical anomalies to his play.

I don't really include Haula in trade stuff because I didn't think teams would have interest until he proves the injury is good.

Reactions: 780il

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012

Haula is not a good defensive player 5on5. He can PK a bit because of his speed though. I'd pass on both those offers because I think Eakin is the better option to move. Bear isn't a big need for us because our top prospects after Glass are all dmen (Hague/Whitecloud/Schuldt). The only way I can see Haula not being the Knights 3C to start the year is A. Someone gives GMGM an offer he can't refuse B. Glass forces his way onto the team which is far from a certainty. At that point Haula could be a training camp/early season deal.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Haula is not a good defensive player 5on5. He can PK a bit because of his speed though. I'd pass on both those offers because I think Eakin is the better option to move. Bear isn't a big need for us because our top prospects after Glass are all dmen (Hague/Whitecloud/Schuldt). The only way I can see Haula not being the Knights 3C to start the year is A. Someone gives GMGM an offer he can't refuse B. Glass forces his way onto the team which is far from a certainty. At that point Haula could be a training camp/early season deal.

I think we need to trade more than Eakin, Reaves and Clarkson to stay cap compliant. If the option is Smith, Miller or Haula then he could be traded considering he would need a raise.

Unless Gusev signs for 4M or less and Karlsson signs for less than 6M but I think that's not likely considering the money McPhee seems to throw around.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
What would you ask for Eakin?

His season this year seems unsustainable in terms of goals but he should be a ~35 point guy next year.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
I think we need to trade more than Eakin, Reaves and Clarkson to stay cap compliant. If the option is Smith, Miller or Haula then he could be traded considering he would need a raise.

Unless Gusev signs for 4M or less and Karlsson signs for less than 6M but I think that's not likely considering the money McPhee seems to throw around.

I think Miller is a goner. The only way he isn't is if they think he can take that spot next to Schmidt. I don't think he can and IMO it's a near lock one of the kids will be on the 3rd pair with Merrill.

What would you ask for Eakin?

His season this year seems unsustainable in terms of goals but he should be a ~35 point guy next year.

Like I said in the previous post I'd shoot for something like a 2nd+Brodziak for Eakin.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think Miller is a goner. The only way he isn't is if they think he can take that spot next to Schmidt. I don't think he can and IMO it's a near lock one of the kids will be on the 3rd pair with Merrill.

Like I said in the previous post I'd shoot for something like a 2nd+Brodziak for Eakin.

We still have to have somebody on the top defense and they would have to have a low cap hit.

The bottom pairing could be Merrill-Whitecloud. Engelland could be used as a seventh or eighth defense. But then Hague is in the AHL but he could probably work on his skating more.

But then we have Schuldt-Schmidt and McNabb-Theodore as the top defense. I think it could work but it doesn't seem less of a risk than trying Miller.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I think a move with Ottawa needs to come. They are $17m under the floor now and really have no high priced talent to resign other than Ceci. Package Clarkson, Eakin and Subban to them and get some futures/draft picks back. They supposedly were interested in Eakin and he's 2nd liner for them, they need a G of the future since Anderson is done after next year, and having Clarkson fall off when its time to pay some of the young players in two years makes a ton of sense instead of just getting filler free agents this year to reach the floor and then having to buy them out or retain salary as they have been doing for so many players.

If VGK can ship that off and get the expected cap increase, there would be enough to sign Wild Bill, do 1 year RFA deals with Gusev and Schuldt, and clears the way for Dansk and Glass to have roster spots and should allow GMGM to make a rational move with Miller only if the offers are good enough. I think this needs to be an offseason of cutting the underbrush of guys like Subban, Carpenter and Lagace, all who are old enough now to know they aren't going to get that much better. I'd like to see PEB come back but you just can't give him more money than he's getting now and really wouldn't mind letting Haula go, but I'm not convinced he's that big of an asset in the trade market and gives you some insurance in case Glass isn't ready and has to go back to Chicago to clean things up.

Here's to hoping the hoarding of assets mindset goes away and a real effort to balance out the lineup with younger players begins.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
7th D engo

I mean, if he wants to be a 7th/8th D for a season or two (and we have two way contracts we can easily call down and up) and play maybe 30-ish games a season on a bottom pair it could be beneficial. He is a RHD defensive defenseman that we don't have a lot of.

He could mitigate tiredness and pass on knowledge to the other defensemen. Then he could be an assistant coach for the defense.

Reactions: hangman005

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Well he did finish the year on the top pair, playing a lot of hard PK minutes. You'd have to expect him to be at least the bottom pairing RD
True that, I guess it depends what our D core looks like after the offseason, I'm certainly not opposed to bringing him back and not opposed to him getting ice time, but I think 40 games or such is probably the most we should try play him. Unless he finds the fountain of youth... please find the fountain of youth :laugh:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Well he did finish the year on the top pair, playing a lot of hard PK minutes. You'd have to expect him to be at least the bottom pairing RD

This doesn't leave a place for Hague or Whitecloud on the team most likely.

Schmidt-Miller
McNabb-Theodore
Schuldt-Engelland
Merrill

Unless we are getting rid of Miller to give Schuldt/Hague a top four spot with Schmidt. Whitecloud seems like he gets another AHL term whatever we do.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Do we have any signals of how they plan to address the defense while simultaneously spending less money on it.

I feel like if they had known they could get Stone they wouldn't have traded for Pacioretty. Not their fault and Pacioretty is a useful piece but his 7M looks so large on our cap with needing to address defense.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Do we have any signals of how they plan to address the defense while simultaneously spending less money on it.

I feel like if they had known they could get Stone they wouldn't have traded for Pacioretty. Not their fault and Pacioretty is a useful piece but his 7M looks so large on our cap with needing to address defense.

I think the hope is Hague can cement himself in the top 4. If he doesn't then that's something they can revisit at the deadline. After crunching the numbers it's going to be really tight just to sign WK, Gusev, and a goalie. That's after moving Eakin/Miller+Holden+Clarkson.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I think the hope is Hague can cement himself in the top 4. If he doesn't then that's something they can revisit at the deadline. After crunching the numbers it's going to be really tight just to sign WK, Gusev, and a goalie. That's after moving Eakin/Miller+Holden+Clarkson.
Or hope for Schuldt to cement himself in the top-4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad