The 2019-20 Tank Command Thread - Part VI

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
a system that encourages about a quarter of the fanbases in the league to cheer for their team to lose is a thoroughly stupid idea. I've even seen fans cheering for injuries to their players. There has to be a better way, if they can't think of anything just give every team that misses the playoffs an equal chance to win the lottery. Boom no more fanbases hoping their team fails.
You might like this idea: Down Goes Brown: Could the 'Gold Plan' eliminate tanking? - Sportsnet.ca

"The idea goes like this: Instead of a draft lottery system that encourages losing by awarding the best odds to the league’s worst teams, you’d determine the draft order based on the number of points each team earned after being eliminated from the playoffs. Once you’re mathematically out of the playoff hunt, you start the clock on banking points towards your spot in the draft order. The team with the most post-elimination points get the top pick, and so on down through the rest of the non-playoff teams.

The beauty of the plan is that it still weights the odds of getting the first pick heavily towards the league’s worst teams, because they’ll be eliminated first."

Reactions: starling

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
You might like this idea: Down Goes Brown: Could the 'Gold Plan' eliminate tanking? - Sportsnet.ca

"The idea goes like this: Instead of a draft lottery system that encourages losing by awarding the best odds to the league’s worst teams, you’d determine the draft order based on the number of points each team earned after being eliminated from the playoffs. Once you’re mathematically out of the playoff hunt, you start the clock on banking points towards your spot in the draft order. The team with the most post-elimination points get the top pick, and so on down through the rest of the non-playoff teams.

The beauty of the plan is that it still weights the odds of getting the first pick heavily towards the league’s worst teams, because they’ll be eliminated first."
I've been a fan of this system since I read this article 4 years ago.
The gist:
The idea goes like this: Instead of a draft lottery system that encourages losing by awarding the best odds to the league’s worst teams, you’d determine the draft order based on the number of points each team earned after being eliminated from the playoffs. Once you’re mathematically out of the playoff hunt, you start the clock on banking points towards your spot in the draft order. The team with the most post-elimination points get the top pick, and so on down through the rest of the non-playoff teams.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

I don't hate it but i still feel like this wouldn't work.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I've been a fan of this system since I read this article 4 years ago.
The gist:
But teams that really legitimately suck will continue to suck with no hopes of getting better. Let's say Detroit is eliminated with 30 games left and they only manage to get 10 points in that time vs a team with 10 games left manages to run the table, Detroit is going to still suffer.

What they should do is make it where you can only get a first every 3 years. If a team finishes last again they automatically fall out of the top 5 picks the following 2 seasons.

Reactions: SanderSen

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa

more confusing because you'll have to look up someone's math about whether you are eliminated or not. I guess the NHL could do it, but a layman shouldn't have to think. It's a lot easier to see that the team with the least points should have the best chance.

Reactions: Cosmix

16w

Jun 23, 2003
^the trade deadline also becomes more boring as the bottom feeders have less incentive to get rid of players for futures if they're going to need to bank points for a good draft pick

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Glass half empty -

66% chance the Sens pick falls 4-6 and a 74% chance the SJ pick is 5-8.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
San Jose is starting to play well, its a strange phenomenon when your team gets gutted and the remaining players pull on the rope together.

That being said the leafs are absolutely useless. What a joke of a team all that talent no compassion, no compete, cant build a team like that and pay all the skill so much so early.

Hope the sens continue to build a big heavy team with high character and compete.

Coming out of the draft with Lafreniere, Lundell and Sanderson would really be incredible.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
San Jose is starting to play well, its a strange phenomenon when your team gets gutted and the remaining players pull on the rope together.

That being said the leafs are absolutely useless. What a joke of a team all that talent no compassion, no compete, cant build a team like that and pay all the skill so much so early.

Hope the sens continue to build a big heavy team with high character and compete.

Coming out of the draft with Lafreniere, Lundell and Sanderson would really be incredible.

I may have found a solution to the Leafs problems:

giphy.gif

Reactions: bert

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Nah.

Just keep it simple. Bottom 5 teams at the end of the regular season go in a lotto for the top 3 picks. Equal odds for all 5 teams. If you win first overall, you can't get the first pick the following year (so if your balls win first, you switch with whoever is #2). The worst teams still all pick in the top 5, and you don't have one team hog all the top picks.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
f***ing Toronto. What a totally useless mother f***ing organization

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yup, we need to just focus on ourselves tanking as much as possible; we need to get that 30th position. SJ's pick is just gravy on top.

PLAY ANDERSON ALL GAMES.

We need the Senators to finish as low as possible to get the highest possible picks in each round of the draft. SJ’s position in the standings only gives us a higher first round pick, not a higher pick in later rounds. If I had to choose between which team finishes lower my preference is the Senators, but I am still hoping the Sens and SJ finish in positions 30 and 29.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad