The 2019-20 Tank Command Thread - Part VI

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
No Debator...Have you any idea of the insanity of us in Ottawa and the other 10 cities, hoping for, wishing for, our team to lose and other teams to win. And then rejoicing when it happens. We have a solid 10-12 guys on here, who chastise fans for not being loyal, or supportive, etc. I would love to see how many of them, are cheering for a loss!!!!

What was once our shame is our joy?

What do people at the Arena do? Cheer when the other team scores and boo when the Sens score. Do they whistle at the ref's when he calls a penalty on the visitors and cheer when he penalizes the Sens.

We need a better method. A means by which tanking is not encouraged. In fact penalized. You can probably propose a 1/2 dozens systems. All would have some merit. We need to encourage teams to bust their hump and not tank.

My God..It would like me being happy me kid is doing poorly in school..Now I won't have to pay for university !!!! F'ng great.

I understand and sympathize with your frustration and you have every right to feel that way as a loyal fan. With that said however, cheering the team on to win at this point in the season is not beneficial for the long-term strength of the franchise as it has been proven every year that the best players almost always go at the top of the draft (with exceptions of course).

I made it clear all year that I would only start "cheering for losses" for lack of better term, once it was clear this team was not going to turn it around and make a push for the playoffs; and that in my opinion was obvious by early January. I was anti-tank from October to December because I will always cheer for wins if it means making the playoffs, but, if I want what is best for the team in the long-run and hoping to cheer for wins all year, I have accepted that we need a few elite players to join the club and help push us to the next level.

There is no shame in this, as most or all Senators fans ultimately want their team to be better and to win a cup, the only difference is our perceptions and views on how to get there, so I get it your frustration when you have to constantly hear about the tank right now.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The cheering for losses is looking at the bigger picture.

No one wants to do this for the lifetime of their fandom.

In fact, you could strongly argue that we are so adamant and hopefully to tank the hardest this year so that we DONT have to endure this again next year, or subsequent years.

If we tank hardddd this year, and lose all our games and get Laferniere + another top 5 pick, then we'd be absolutely ECSTATIC because then that means we probably have all the pieces necessary to STOP this the upcoming years and finally move up the standings and focus on other stuff such as development.

This is especially magnified because we are Ottawa... our owner is ******* all and we need these prospects more than any of the bottom teams in the league currently. They are our best hope to rebuild quickly, gain talent, and even force Melnyk's hand if he ever tries to shortchange upcoming star players again because he has no more excuses and league would likely intervene.

A tank this year also means we could get Laferniere and heavily grow our following in French speaking areas, as well as spark an intense rivalry again with MTL and even Toronto. It even means salvaging guys like Logan Brown and stuff who's play would be heavily impacted by having star winger or Batherson having Byfield/Stutzle.

This tank is so beneficial on so many levels it isn't even funny. One step back, 5 step forwards.

Reactions: InTkachukWeTrust

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
People want to cheer for something meaningful.
For me, before the trade deadline, I was cheering for our UFAs to kill it so we could haul some picks.
After the trade deadline, I'm cheering for our prospects to light it up, and the team to dominate in general to set the team up for the next season. At the same time, I'm cheering for opposing goaltenders to make some spectacular saves and steal a few games. What's wrong with that?
Also, I'm finding myself tuning into some Western conference games cheering for Ducks and Kings. I heard their viewing audience is tanking. Gary Bettman would've loved that.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I wish Gary Bettman would get on HF boards and see all of this. Between Ottawa and the other 10 teams, he should be embarrassed by the talk that goes on.
don't think he would be too shocked that fans want the next best prospect. He'd probably sympathize with Sens fan since he knows what support is like when the Sens are good.

Reactions: Deku

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
No Debator...Have you any idea of the insanity of us in Ottawa and the other 10 cities, hoping for, wishing for, our team to lose and other teams to win. And then rejoicing when it happens. We have a solid 10-12 guys on here, who chastise fans for not being loyal, or supportive, etc. I would love to see how many of them, are cheering for a loss!!!!

What do people at the Arena do? Cheer when the other team scores and boo when the Sens score. Do they whistle at the ref's when he calls a penalty on the visitors and cheer when he penalizes the Sens.

We need a better method. A means by which tanking is not encouraged. In fact penalized. You can probably propose a 1/2 dozens systems. All would have some merit. We need to encourage teams to bust their hump and not tank.

My God..It would like me being happy me kid is doing poorly in school..Now I won't have to pay for university !!!! F'ng great.
Load of hogwash

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa

It's interesting in that for years i have also thought- go blow yourself up, when fans wanted us to tank. I have always figured tanking is something you do when it is thrust upon you. Otherwise there's always a chance and we almost had a great one recently.

But this year especially i figure tanking has been thrust upon us and so im fervently in tank nation. But i have been to a couple of games this year mostly because out of town friends wanted to go for something to do. And although when im at home or at a friends place watching the games on the couch we are all cheering for a great try but a loss in a moral victory, when im actually at the game i find myself cheering wildly for the win. I stand and applaud for our goals. Maybe its group think. But the fans at the game all want the win.

The point of the lottery isnt to get fans to stop cheering for tanks, i think its more to prevent teams from executing it with a good chance of success. And i think the lottery plan has worked.

Ironically lately instead of us being the spoiler for other playoff teams, im getting paranoid that other teams are conspiring to spoil our tank by not trying and allowing us to win :)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

2016-17 : ECF

2017-18 : Acquired Duchene, the team fell apart but there was no point in tanking as we wanted the ship to turn around. We still ended up with a 4th OA pick (Tkachuk)

2018-19 : There was absolutely no point in tanking last year. Actually, we needed to finish higher to give a lower first rounder to Colorado.

2019-20 : first time ever for me that I want my team to tank. Even during a bad season, I won't want them to tank because bottom it out means pretty big changes and possibly a big rebuild, the end of success for a while. This season is contextual, they already traded ALL the established stars of the team (Zibanejad, Hoffman, Karlsson, Duchene/Turris, Stone, heck even Dzingel and now Pageau) and we all know the financial context, etc. This draft happens to be also super forward heavy, where we will have the chance to add 2 high end talents.

I'm not the kind of fan that go "let's tank" as soon as his team is not in a playoffs position but this season, there's no reason to not want that.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Sjs 4 home games this week... 2-2 is ok but please no more.. it's too tantalizing!!

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
a system that encourages about a quarter of the fanbases in the league to cheer for their team to lose is a thoroughly stupid idea. I've even seen fans cheering for injuries to their players. There has to be a better way, if they can't think of anything just give every team that misses the playoffs an equal chance to win the lottery. Boom no more fanbases hoping their team fails.

Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
a system that encourages about a quarter of the fanbases in the league to cheer for their team to lose is a thoroughly stupid idea. I've even seen fans cheering for injuries to their players. There has to be a better way, if they can't think of anything just give every team that misses the playoffs an equal chance to win the lottery. Boom no more fanbases hoping their team fails.
There is a reason no leagues with an entry draft do this, and a reason all of them do them the way they are now.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If there were no reward and no excitement of the tank race, so many wouldn't be watching or even paying attention at all.

The players on the roster are not enough of a draw, so the future of the franchise is what there is to be excited about.

Like it or not, the lottery/tank give's bottom dwellers' fans a reason to give a shit and keep watching. That's ultimately better for the league and franchise's stuck in the gutter.

I would hate to see them change the rules as that would have meant I'd had no reason to tune in for two or three straight years.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
2016-17 : ECF

2017-18 : Acquired Duchene, the team fell apart but there was no point in tanking as we wanted the ship to turn around. We still ended up with a 4th OA pick (Tkachuk)

2018-19 : There was absolutely no point in tanking last year. Actually, we needed to finish higher to give a lower first rounder to Colorado.

2019-20 : first time ever for me that I want my team to tank. Even during a bad season, I won't want them to tank because bottom it out means pretty big changes and possibly a big rebuild, the end of success for a while. This season is contextual, they already traded ALL the established stars of the team (Zibanejad, Hoffman, Karlsson, Duchene/Turris, Stone, heck even Dzingel and now Pageau) and we all know the financial context, etc. This draft happens to be also super forward heavy, where we will have the chance to add 2 high end talents.

I'm not the kind of fan that go "let's tank" as soon as his team is not in a playoffs position but this season, there's no reason to not want that.
After all the years of arguing you have finally come around. :5:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It's interesting in that for years i have also thought- go blow yourself up, when fans wanted us to tank. I have always figured tanking is something you do when it is thrust upon you. Otherwise there's always a chance and we almost had a great one recently.

But this year especially i figure tanking has been thrust upon us and so im fervently in tank nation. But i have been to a couple of games this year mostly because out of town friends wanted to go for something to do. And although when im at home or at a friends place watching the games on the couch we are all cheering for a great try but a loss in a moral victory, when im actually at the game i find myself cheering wildly for the win. I stand and applaud for our goals. Maybe its group think. But the fans at the game all want the win.

The point of the lottery isnt to get fans to stop cheering for tanks, i think its more to prevent teams from executing it with a good chance of success. And i think the lottery plan has worked.

Ironically lately instead of us being the spoiler for other playoff teams, im getting paranoid that other teams are conspiring to spoil our tank by not trying and allowing us to win :)

It's easy to anonymously cheer gfor the losses in here

In the rink there's clearly a huge cheer going on to win the game

Reactions: Emrasie

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Gary Bettman would be ecstatic to learn a ton of us are actively cheering on a bunch of crap teams right now. I've watched more Devils, Ducks and Sharks games this season than I've watched in all of my decades as a hockey fan.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Terrible idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad