The 2019-20 Tank Command Thread - Part VI

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I f***ing can't stand the Bruins and Blues fans on the main board insisting that their elite teams have a shot at the 1st overall pick.

I doubt they would ever allow that. The only time they gave all teams a shot was after a full lock out. And look what happened, the team that needed Crosby the most (financially to save their team) won.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
NervousUntriedHuia-size_restricted.gif

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Tankathon says it takes team needs into account for some teams when determining picks; however, I cannot find out what that means on their website. Does anyone have any information on what Tankathon is doing regarding team needs?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Anybody else worried about Stutzle,s game being able to translate to NA???The kid is skilled for sure ,but the DEL doesnt strike me as an overly physical league....

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Anybody else worried about Stutzle,s game being able to translate to NA???The kid is skilled for sure ,but the DEL doesnt strike me as an overly physical league....

He's stocky and scouts have lauded his physical game and compete level. Auston Matthews played his draft year in Switzerland and turned out ok.

Reactions: topshelf15

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I tried 20 spins first time. 10 times we had a top 3 pick and once first overall.

Then I tried another 20 times. 13 times we had a top 3 pick and 8 times we had the 1st overall. Once we had 1st and 2nd. 3 times we had 1st and 3rd.

Add that up. 9 out of 40 first overall. Pretty much spot on with the odds

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I imagine it will be if they haven't yet.

Need to figure out what's going on with the playoffs before the can even know who is involved in the lottery.

I suspect that the playoffs likely will not occur for the past season, given the nature of the news that is coming out each day. At some point in time, time will run out and the NHL will need to plan for the next season to start. That will probably occur in July.

Dingleberry

Jun 18, 2019
All 31 teams entering the lottery for the top 3 picks is the best case scenario at this point.

Worst case - all 31 picks determined by lottery, odds based on point %.

Bubba Pilks

Jun 21, 2019
All 31 teams entering the lottery for the top 3 picks is the best case scenario at this point.

Worst case - all 31 picks determined by lottery, odds based on point %.

Wouldn't that be reversed?

How would all 31 teams in the lotto with equal odds be the best case as a sens fan?

Dingleberry

Jun 18, 2019
Wouldn't that be reversed?

How would all 31 teams in the lotto with equal odds be the best case as a sens fan?

Well, the first scenario would also have odds based on point %. But even if it were all equal odds, you can only drop 3 spots at most.

Second scenario, you could end up with 3 picks in the 20s.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I have a hard time seeing how playoff bound teams would be in a lottery.

The simplest and fairest way would be to order the teams according to ‘points’ (row, p%, adjust for the max games played by whatever teams have played the most).

Top 16 teams are considered ‘playoff teams’ and pick according to that order. The remaining teams play the lottery as they usually would.

There is no reason to do any different. Just because there was no cup doesn’t mean that everyone should get into the lottery. Some teams could have tanked and gotten better odds, and some would have surged and made the playoffs, everyone is in the same boat of coulda shoulda woulda.

I can’t see the league getting all convoluted after so many games have already been played. Sounds more like wishful thinking for the fans of good teams.

Bubba Pilks

Jun 21, 2019
Well, the first scenario would also have odds based on point %. But even if it were all equal odds, you can only drop 3 spots at most.

Second scenario, you could end up with 3 picks in the 20s.

Yeah my bad, read that wrong.

Not going to lie, the sens need the league to factor in the current standings for any type of lotto.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

Certainly not worried, no. There are some aspects that won't translate, sure, but that doesn't mean the player won't on the whole. No reason to believe he can't play a play a style similar to a Matthew Barzal or Elias Pettersson.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I have a hard time seeing how playoff bound teams would be in a lottery.

The simplest and fairest way would be to order the teams according to ‘points’ (row, p%, adjust for the max games played by whatever teams have played the most).

Top 16 teams are considered ‘playoff teams’ and pick according to that order. The remaining teams play the lottery as they usually would.

There is no reason to do any different. Just because there was no cup doesn’t mean that everyone should get into the lottery. Some teams could have tanked and gotten better odds, and some would have surged and made the playoffs, everyone is in the same boat of coulda shoulda woulda.

I can’t see the league getting all convoluted after so many games have already been played. Sounds more like wishful thinking for the fans of good teams.

Teams battling for playoffs have also had better attendance (at least better than what their market would produce if they were out of the playoffs). Each owner had a little more cash in their pocket.

The NYI situation hurts the most ... thats not (5 losses) really what they gave their 1RD pick up for.

Reactions: DrEasy and Ice-Tray

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
We are 100% getting screwed in the lottery. Probably something like bottom 10 teams will all have the same odds or something stupid like that.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Really difficult to see how they'd justify parity in odds when 85% of the season in the books, and much of this discussion is borne from:

a) wishful thinking from fans of teams who are currently unlikely to get a top player in an apparently stacked draft,

b) hand-wringing from fans of teams who've suffered through shite seasons and have become accustomed to losing (we're expecting more of the same treatment) and things not going in their favour, and

c) too much damned time to think about stuff.

I think at the end of the day we'll still be looking at a guaranteed top 5 pick, regardless of what changes are made to lottery odds.

Reactions: DrEasy and Ice-Tray

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad