The 2019-20 Tank Command Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Nah, it's not about appearances. It's about doing the right thing.

I get it...sports is tribal and all of that. And there's a lot of taunting and back and forth stuff that happens between rivals. But Sharks fans have been largely cool with us on HF. Why not extend the same courtesy?
source.gif

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sharks GDTs seem on par with ours while Colorado's are much larger.

I think that supports my claim that HFSens is on the smaller side.

Teams that are winning tend to drive more frequent traffic. Teams that are losing tend to lead to more casual posting.

Not sure you can use GDT as a proxy for size of userbase, it's not bad for measuring how excited that base currently is though.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Teams that are winning tend to drive more frequent traffic. Teams that are losing tend to lead to more casual posting.

Not sure you can use GDT as a proxy for size of userbase, it's not bad for measuring how excited that base currently is though.

Agreed that GDTs aren't reflective of userbase. I do think that GDTs are a better measure of how much, I'll say "clout", a fanbase has on HF.

That was my original point: if we decide to collectively take a certain course of action (like say, have a thread about the Sharks) it wouldn't really matter much in terms of HF traffic.

Not that that is reason enough to engage in any such shenanigans.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

I think it's two parts. One, the team sucks, so people don't follow the team as closely, so many of the more casual fans just aren't watching the games and posting anymore.

But also, the toxicity around here has driven away many of the more reasonable posters. All we have left is a hive mind echo chamber and a few stragglers butting up against it. The Sens reddit community is very very different than hfsens.

edit: To be clear, I think this place is less toxic than it was last season, since the admins stepped in and the mods started moderating more.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I dont think this place is toxic. Overflowing with testosterone and alcohol sometimes, sure, but not toxic.

I dont think we should avoid taunting the Sharks board because it wouldnt be classy or something. I just dont think we should do it because of karma.

We are one of the smallest userbases in all of HF, no one really cares about us.

Obviously I'm not claiming that grants us a "license to jerk" but I'm surprised at how many on here seem to care about appearances on HF.

A license to jerk, lol, now imagine HF sold those as 24 hour, no moderation, passes. You can say whatever you want with no penalties for 24 hrs. Normal rules apply to everyone else. If they sold those for say $50, whats the over under on number of posters that would buy one? 100? How easy can we be seduced into trolling?

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
You know what's toxic?

Melnyk's handling of the Ottawa Senators and pretty much every PR decision for two year straight there.

I agree. But that doesn't mean we need to stoop to his level.

Reactions: Gesus

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Just two years? You're very kind or new.
As far as handling almost everything wrong, I'll say a two year stretch. The rest has been a mixed bag imo, but he's definitely stood in the way many times before.

Clashing with beloved legacy players like Alfie and Karlsson just is never going to end well for an owner. Fans love the players, not the owner.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You know what's toxic?

Melnyk's handling of the Ottawa Senators and pretty much every PR decision for two year straight there.

Yes but I'd say things are a lot better now. Other than Melnyk's personal issues, nothing crazy to report; hell we even signed Chabot to a long-term contract.

So far so good.

Reactions: JD1 and Gesus

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think it's two parts. One, the team sucks, so people don't follow the team as closely, so many of the more casual fans just aren't watching the games and posting anymore.

But also, the toxicity around here has driven away many of the more reasonable posters. All we have left is a hive mind echo chamber and a few stragglers butting up against it. The Sens reddit community is very very different than hfsens.

edit: To be clear, I think this place is less toxic than it was last season, since the admins stepped in and the mods started moderating more.

The toxicity is still here. As a matter of fact, it's worse, and given free reign now.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yes but I'd say things are a lot better now. Other than Melnyk's personal issues, nothing crazy to report; hell we even signed Chabot to a long-term contract.

So far so good.
Things have gotten better. A lot of that is simply because time has passed, the sell job is now behind them and they have gone quiet for the most part, but thats for the best obviously.

Less is more and with how Melnyk is viewed in Ottawa, they're best off keeping him in the background like they have. Moving on from Nick R was big too, that guy was a walking meme of what not to say.

Glad they signed Chabot and that he was willing to dance early and accept no bonuses.

Problem is the problem still lies in the background. Things got nuclear for a bit there, but he has gotten in the way many other times before and if he stays owner, thats gauranteed to rear its ugly head again. I also don't buy the FYOUS spending for a second, we're a cap floor team through and through now imo.

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I wonder what is really more toxic; People posting their displeasure with the organization or certain players or people calling those people toxic.

My momma always taught me to say “if you ain’t got nuthin good to say, don’t say it at all”

Let’s try to keep this thread on topic and move on from all the ‘breakup’ nostalgia.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Preds over Sharks in regulation
Ducks over Wild in extra time
Calgary another W

Jets, Stars, Vegas all win...

Great night for the tank.

Runback

Jul 26, 2014
I read a couple of articles that said the Sharks pick was not lottery protected, but other people have said it is. Does anyone know which is true?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I read a couple of articles that said the Sharks pick was not lottery protected, but other people have said it is. Does anyone know which is true?
It is not. They traded their first last year to the panthers for kane and protected the pick such that if they missed the playoffs the panthers would get this years pick. They then traded whichever first didn't end up with the panthers to us.

Panthers got last years pick, this years pick goes to us regardless.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It is not protected....or at least I've not seen anything that says it is protected

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It is not protected....or at least I've not seen anything that says it is protected
It’s not protected. If they had missed the playoffs last year we would have gotten the pick and Buffalo would own this one.

Reactions: JD1

Runback

Jul 26, 2014
thanks guys.. Now I can fully embrace the Shark free-fall. With their $20 million x 8 years Defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad