The 2019-20 Tank Command Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
So far a mediocre tank day.

Sharks get smoked so that's good.

Jets beat Ducks by 1 in regulation...too bad, Ducks havent been getting many points lately.

Knights lose 5-0 to Rangers...good tha NYR keep getting points but need LV to get going and put some space between themselves and Sharks.

Yotes beat Hawks in shootout so very good...would have been better if Hawks won in extra time but taking all positives now.

Oil tied at 2 with Sabres after 2. OT win by Oil would be ideal I think.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Jets beat Ducks by 1 in regulation...too bad, Ducks havent been getting many points lately.

Knights lose 5-0 to Rangers...good tha NYR keep getting points but need LV to get going and put some space between themselves and Sharks.

Yotes beat Hawks in shootout so very good...would have been better if Hawks won in extra time but taking all positives now.

Idk...SJ has some real talent on that roster but it's also an aging roster

They are 4 last in the league in goal differential

They've given up 111 goals

Sure it's conceivable they turn it around but right now it's looking less and less likely

Reactions: Sensators

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Their pick is 10th right now.. even higher if done by winning pctg (Nashville/Tampa pass them). Trying not to get my hopes too high but it's looking nice for us.

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I still don't want get my expectations too high for that SJ pick. Before the season started, I'd have been satisfied with a pick between 20-25, ecstatic with 15-20.

Trying not to get too excited.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I still don't want get my expectations too high for that SJ pick. Before the season started, I'd have been satisfied with a pick between 20-25, ecstatic with 15-20.

That's the way to do it.

Hell, even if we get massively lucky and get first overall for that pick, it was still a bad trade. Putting the weight of a trade on a roll of the dice draft pick for a generational defenseman is a loss 100% of the time. You simply don't gamble with players like that.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
That's the way to do it.

Hell, even if we get massively lucky and get first overall for that pick, it was still a bad trade. Putting the weight of a trade on a roll of the dice draft pick for a generational defenseman is a loss 100% of the time. You simply don't gamble with players like that.

There are a lot of ways to look at a hockey trade

The sam pollock view that whoever gets the best player wins in which case we lost

6 is better than 1...i hope we re-sign DeMelo and if we do next year we might frequently dress 4 guys that are a return from that trade, possibly 5. In that scenario we won

There's the fact that EK wasn't going to sign here anyway and we got 6 assets for him in which case we won

You used the word gamble but without context....the gamble to me is age related decline + injury related decline and we wouldn't take it and ended up with 6 pieces in return in which cases we won given it seems the decline is setting in

There's the EK public statement about getting what he's worth versus the MacK statement about taking next less time too and me rather having MacK types so in that scenario we won

The eye test tells me i like the culture around the team and that the culture likely could not have been reset without moving out EK and we did so while getting 6 assets in return so on that account we won.

The context of that trade was EM owns this team. EK wasn't going to sign here under that ownership. So, unless something was going to change on one of those fronts, EK had to go else we get JT'd.

Jumping up and down, stomping your feet, yelling and screaming, shaking yout fist....none of it changes the context and given EM wasn't selling and EK wasn't signing....every day that passes that trade looks better from an Ottawa view

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

What is the worst that could happen? It ends up lower than expected and we feel a slight sensation of disappointment? Enjoy the moment, live in the present and right now that pick is looking like a good one.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
That's the way to do it.

Every trade is judged in hindsight, it is pointless to rate a trade based on the circumstances of the day it happened. Plenty of trades when they happen, appear bad for one team and good for the other, and a few years later the result is reversed and suddenly the team who appeared to make a bad trade is now reaping the rewards. The opposite happens as well and sometimes, of course, a bad trade remains a bad trade then and now (I.e Thornton to San Jose).

Some trades appear even and then turn lopsided in hindsight...for example do you consider the Hall for Larsson trade "even", as of today? Probably not, but at the time it was pretty regarded as a "good hockey trade". Same with Rundblad for Turris, Galchenyuk for Domi....all of those trades at the time seemed like good trades for both teams but now looking at them, they all have a clear winner.

The Karlsson trade is no different, there is nothing wrong with using hindsight to judge a trade as good or bad. We were literally on that end of the scope last season when our 1dt round pick to the Avs in the Duchene trade was expected to be somewhere in the 20-31 range because Duchene was supposed to make us a contender. True or not? The Duchene trade would not have been so scrutinized if we did not fair so terrible last season and provide the Avs with a lottery pick. Now that trade looks like one of the worst we have ever made, in hindsight, not necessarily at the time of the trade and nobody would ever say it was an "okay" trade based on what we gave up at the time.

Now we happen to find ourselves in the same situation with the Karlsson trade yet we were claiming the opposite based on some notion that we cannot judge the trade return based on today, but rather at the time of the trade...not fair in my opinion.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Every trade is judged in hindsight, it is pointless to rate a trade based on the circumstances of the day it happened. Plenty of trades when they happen, appear bad for one team and good for the other, and a few years later the result is reversed and suddenly the team who appeared to make a bad trade is now reaping the rewards. The opposite happens as well and sometimes, of course, a bad trade remains a bad trade then and now (I.e Thornton to San Jose).

Some trades appear even and then turn lopsided in hindsight...for example do you consider the Hall for Larsson trade "even", as of today? Probably not, but at the time it was pretty regarded as a "good hockey trade". Same with Rundblad for Turris, Galchenyuk for Domi....all of those trades at the time seemed like good trades for both teams but now looking at them, they all have a clear winner.

The Karlsson trade is no different, there is nothing wrong with using hindsight to judge a trade as good or bad. We were literally on that end of the scope last season when our 1dt round pick to the Avs in the Duchene trade was expected to be somewhere in the 20-31 range because Duchene was supposed to make us a contender. True or not? The Duchene trade would not have been so scrutinized if we did not fair so terrible last season and provide the Avs with a lottery pick. Now that trade looks like one of the worst we have ever made, in hindsight, not necessarily at the time of the trade and nobody would ever say it was an "okay" trade based on what we gave up at the time.

Now we happen to find ourselves in the same situation with the Karlsson trade yet we were claiming the opposite based on some notion that we cannot judge the trade return based on today, but rather at the time of the trade...not fair in my opinion.

No, adding Duchene wasn't going to make us a contender. Anyone looking at the team honestly knew we were a bubble team and a small upgrade at 1C wasn't going to change that. Even if things were changed and that first rounder was 20th instead of 4th, it was a bad trade.

Same as the karlsson trade. If that first round pick ends up as the most valuable piece for us in the deal, that it is a horrendous trade.

Reactions: BatherSeason

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan

Oilers are the other team I like. Either it’s a slump or they legit are in trouble. Last few games have been rough.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Can we agree that if it is clear SJ is not in a playoff picture that we do not razz their fans about it?
How many of us hate colorado fans because they were jerks to us last year? It sucks when your team is not doing well you dont need others rubbing it in.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
No, adding Duchene wasn't going to make us a contender. Anyone looking at the team honestly knew we were a bubble team and a small upgrade at 1C wasn't going to change that. Even if things were changed and that first rounder was 20th instead of 4th, it was a bad trade.

Same as the karlsson trade. If that first round pick ends up as the most valuable piece for us in the deal, that it is a horrendous trade.

And yet Colorado gets praised (rightfully so) for making a trade where the first round pick they received is likely going to end up as the most valuable piece for them in the deal.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Can we agree that if it is clear SJ is not in a playoff picture that we do not razz their fans about it?
How many of us hate colorado fans because they were jerks to us last year? It sucks when your team is not doing well you dont need others rubbing it in.

We are one of the smallest userbases in all of HF, no one really cares about us.

Obviously I'm not claiming that grants us a "license to jerk" but I'm surprised at how many on here seem to care about appearances on HF.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
False. I'd put the Senators user base on here mid to upper pack. A lot more messages on the Senators board than either of the Avalanche or Sharks boards.

If we're going by # of posts and discussions, Ottawa also outnumbers teams like Buffalo, Detroit, Washington, NY Islanders and Chicago.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We are one of the smallest userbases in all of HF, no one really cares about us.

Obviously I'm not claiming that grants us a "license to jerk" but I'm surprised at how many on here seem to care about appearances on HF.

Nah, it's not about appearances. It's about doing the right thing.

I get it...sports is tribal and all of that. And there's a lot of taunting and back and forth stuff that happens between rivals. But Sharks fans have been largely cool with us on HF. Why not extend the same courtesy?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Nah, it's not about appearances. It's about doing the right thing.

I get it...sports is tribal and all of that. And there's a lot of taunting and back and forth stuff that happens between rivals. But Sharks fans have been largely cool with us on HF. Why not extend the same courtesy?

The Sharks have essentially been given two of our best players ever, they have no reason to be anything but.

We might get really lucky on the Karlsson return but the Sharks got Heatley and Erik for very cheap considering how dominant they were when those trades were made.

I do the right thing out of respect for myself, not because of anything on HF.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
The Sharks have essentially been given two of our best players ever, they have no reason to be anything but.

We might get really lucky on the Karlsson return but the Sharks got Heatley and Erik for very cheap considering how dominant they were when those trades were made.

I do the right thing out of respect for myself, not because of anything on HF.
And Hoffman

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I always thought this was a funny saying when offered up at least somewhat earnestly.

Basically signifying I'm not trying to convince you of anything, just excuse some kind of behaviour by claiming circumstances gave me no choice. Which is almost always 100% not true.

#wentwaytodeep

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
What is the worst that could happen? It ends up lower than expected and we feel a slight sensation of disappointment? Enjoy the moment, live in the present and right now that pick is looking like a good one.
I don't know man, if they get in the playoffs, they can be just as good as any to reach the conference finals, leading to a 28+ pick.

We're sens fans, disappointment is never far from us lol.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
...and we're back in the lead!
overallPick-1-2019-12-08.png

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
False. I'd put the Senators user base on here mid to upper pack. A lot more messages on the Senators board than either of the Avalanche or Sharks boards.

Sharks GDTs seem on par with ours while Colorado's are much larger.

I think that supports my claim that HFSens is on the smaller side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->