The 2019-20 Around the League Thread, Pt. VI - Zamboni Goalie Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Getting a pick for $190,000 and no assets isn't a terrible trade.

It is hilarious that is all the Leafs did today that was noteworthy. I shall enjoy watching them sputter down the stretch - now only if Florida can not do the same, that'd be great.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
It is hilarious that is all the Leafs did today that was noteworthy. I shall enjoy watching them sputter down the stretch - now only if Florida can not do the same, that'd be great.
Speaking of Florida, how is Tallon not on the hot seat by now? He's been there for years yet it seems like they're always taking one step forward, and one step back.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Bizarre situation in Montreal...The team has not drafted well in GM Marc Bergevins 8 years on the job...and they are doing a 'rebuild on the fly' (sound familiar?)...He claims that he will be putting good team together next year (even though this will likely be their 3rd year with no trip to the post season),so that's why he didn't cash in some of his current roster for futures at the TDL.

Fans are livid..they see a team that is nowhere good enough to compete..and too good to get a game changer at the top of the draft (especially with Price and Weber on the roster).

Hate to say it, but I see the Habs headed to the cellar and 'bottoming out' for 3-4 years minimum...It's inevitable, no amount of UFA signing or trades are going to get you out of this mess.....Thats a team that could use a Judd Brackett on their payroll.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bizarre situation in Montreal...The team has not drafted well in GM Marc Bergevins 8 years on the job...and they are doing a 'rebuild on the fly' (sound familiar?)...He claims that he will be putting good team together next year (even though this will likely be their 3rd year with no trip to the post season),so that's why he didn't cash in some of his current roster for futures at the TDL.

Fans are livid..they see a team that is nowhere good enough to compete..and too good to get a game changer at the top of the draft (especially with Price and Weber on the roster).

Hate to say it, but I see the Habs headed to the cellar and 'bottoming out' for 3-4 years minimum...It's inevitable, no amount of UFA signing or trades are going to get you out of this mess.....Thats a team that could use a Judd Brackett on their payroll.

It feels like Montreal has been the same team for over 20 years now. Top goalie, some high-scoring blueliners, and the most vanilla group of 40-point speedy undersized grinders/redemption projects up front you could possibly imagine. And finish 11th-20th in the NHL every year, depending on whether the team has a few things go right or a few things go wrong. The names change but everything stays the same.

They've had 4 70+ point seasons from forwards in the last 22 years. 1 in the last 12 years. Assuming Miller and Pettersson finish the year OK, we'll have had 28 in the last 22 years and 13 in the last 12.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
It feels like Montreal has been the same team for over 20 years now. Top goalie, some high-scoring blueliners, and the most vanilla group of 40-point speedy undersized grinders/redemption projects up front you could possibly imagine. And finish 11th-20th in the NHL every year, depending on whether the team has a few things go right or a few things go wrong. The names change but everything stays the same.

They've had 4 70+ point seasons from forwards in the last 22 years. 1 in the last 12 years. Assuming Miller and Pettersson finish the year OK, we'll have had 28 in the last 22 years and 13 in the last 12.

The 70+ forward stats stuck out to me, I was having this conversation with a couple friends and we started going back through past seasons to see whens the last time MTL had like a 90+ point performance and it was the early 90's.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
How Montreal didn’t trade Tatar after seeing what the market was paying is insane to me.
GM Bergevin at his post TDL presser yesterday:

Q: "how long do you expect the core to stay together"

A: "There are players on our team that are hard to replace... and see if there's an extension is possible, at some point I make the decision to make changes.... to early to tell that"

"in a perfect world UFAs are not what you want, it might be our best option"

"trades are hard to do"

"I trust our current group to bounce back"

"it was a difficult market this year"

"if we win the lottery we are ahead of the game"

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Dubas ripped to shreds:

“But as for how to remedy those issues — those are the kinds of problems that can’t necessarily be addressed on trade deadline day. Hearts aren’t available for draft picks. Souls aren’t sold for prospects. Guts can’t be inserted into the core of your roster with a tweak around its edges. For now there’s no magical solution but the Maple Leafs discovering those essential components within themselves.”
Kyle Dubas’ vision for Maple Leafs has its flaws — and it’s got him rattled | The Star

Reactions: mathonwy

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I’ve never hated on Benning and I don’t think he is as unintelligent as some people say. But some one posted on here that he is like Forest Gump and I like the idea. He basically lucked into rebuilding with two Amazing players after trying to push for the playoffs. But I just don’t understand at this stage why some fans don’t want to sit back and enjoy the show. I will not be mad if Benning Forest Gumps his way to meeting the President. And gets a number retired in doing so. And I give him full credit for the moves he has made this year
Now Marky is gone down and Demko will rise up playing lights out taking the starters job and Benning will Gump his way into saving on the big contract Marky will get next year and the expansion draft protection. LETS GO :crossfing

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Bergevin isn't a terrible GM, in fact he gets value and is a good asset manager. But they haven't drafted nearly well enough to justify this "rebuild on the fly". Similar to Vancouver the real problem is higher up the ladder with a stubborn lack of direction or even a sense of reality.

The Habs need to get worse to get better, that's pretty clear.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bergevin isn't a terrible GM, in fact he gets value and is a good asset manager. But they haven't drafted nearly well enough to justify this "rebuild on the fly". Similar to Vancouver the real problem is higher up the ladder with a stubborn lack of direction or even a sense of reality.

Bergevin's first few years were terrible but his last couple have been very good. Problem is that with the hole that franchise was dug into, all his improved trading and asset management have managed to do is halt the freefall into being a bottom-5 team.

Also their drafting and development have been consistently awful. Looking through their picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft since 2008 is depressing.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Thats precisely the way I saw it..There is a correlation to the Canucks ..Poor drafting (Gillis)...Lack of direction/Sense of reality (early Benning/Linden/Aqualini).

The only way out..is to bottom out..It can be done expediently.. (look at what the Senators have got coming up in the next draft)...but prepare to be out of playoff contention for a good 4-5 years.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah their drafting in the 1st round ever since 2009 has been generally horrible. Since that year they've also found only 4 guys outside the 1st round (Gallagher, Lehkonen, De La Rose and Mete) who are established players still in the NHL right now.

Really makes you wonder why the hell he wasn't moved to another team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad