The 2019-20 Around the League Thread, Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Imagine if he declines early with that stupid contract
He’s almost 29
In about 3 more seasons when Miller is 30, Horvat is 28, the Canucks are going to have to decide if they can keep them for the term those guys want of 7/8 years.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Looks like Freddie Andersen will be ok...To me, the Leafs still look like a 'flawed' team this season..Its nothing that cannot be fixed in the off season, but clearly ,their GM miscalculated.
Good :yo:

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Elvis outduels Bob in scoreless game.

on the topic of the leafs on outside looking in... we will have to bear with more topics like "the west is much weaker than east" to justify them missing playoffs.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Ovechkin is truly an ageless wonder. 12 goals in his last 6 games and takes the scoring lead tonight after being far behind a few weeks ago. Pastrnak who?

Edit: Actually 14 goals in his last 7 games. Wow.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Giordano was apparently heard saying it was his hamstring...
Whatever it was, it was clearly a soft tissue injury.. he strained or tore something... min 2 weeks when it’s the lower body like that.

Massively significant news. Ala every Edler injury we’ve ever experienced in past seasons.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
It's a f***ing shame the NHL is so horrendously bad at marketing that Ovechkin is getting no coverage. What he's doing is incredible.

It’s incredibly bad, whoever makes it out of the pacific will be slaughtered in due time

Idk. St. Louis/Colorado/Dallas have to play each other, with only St. Louis getting an easier matchup in the first assuming they win the division.

If we win the division, we could play the Flames/Yotes in the first and the Oilers in the second. The only tough path would be if Vegas is the second round matchup. By the time the WCF rolls around, the Pacific team will have likely had a much, much easier path there.

The West is open. The East otoh...

Reactions: I am toxic

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
So what you're saying is the Canucks are due to lose to another iconic eastern Original Six team in the finals, with the Canadian media again jubilant. Awesome! I guess it's the Leafs' turn.

It would make sense for the Toronto media to rally around the Leafs. Nah, we're for sure meeting the Red Wings in our next Cup Final appearance. BC boy Steve Yzerman will have the Canadian media spotlight on him. Did you know he's from Cranbrook?!

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
It's a ****ing shame the NHL is so horrendously bad at marketing that Ovechkin is getting no coverage. What he's doing is incredible.

Idk. St. Louis/Colorado/Dallas have to play each other, with only St. Louis getting an easier matchup in the first assuming they win the division.

If we win the division, we could play the Flames/Yotes in the first and the Oilers in the second. The only tough path would be if Vegas is the second round matchup. By the time the WCF rolls around, the Pacific team will have likely had a much, much easier path there.

The West is open. The East otoh...
To people who laugh at the idea that the Canucks could go to the conference finals, I wonder who they are picking out of this batch of misfits to win two rounds?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s incredibly bad, whoever makes it out of the pacific will be slaughtered in due time
What’s wrong with making the WCF? It’s the way the playoffs are setup. Don’t need to go through all of the Centra Teams. Just the WC if that’s the matchup along with the central playoff winner .

if they get crushed so be it but it will in the WCF

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I feel a bit sorry for Toronto. Every Canadian hockey fan is going to be cheering for them to miss the playoffs (and celebrating if they don't) for the next 20 years, and I don't think any of us really knows how it started. No one cared 10 or 15 years ago.

Everyone I knew hated the Leafs growing up and it was a direct result of having their games and coverage shoved down our throats in this market at the expense of Canucks coverage. Growing up, there were probably 60 televised Leaf games here annually as opposed to 25-30 Canucks games and Canucks coverage was constantly bumped (on both CBC and TSN) to show Leaf and Hab games.

I have a distinct memory as a kid of turning on the TV at 4 PM for HNIC expecting to see the Canucks take on my favourite player Steve Yzerman in Detroit ... and having to watch the hapless Leafs play St. Louis or someone like that while the Canucks game was the 'update game'. Shit like that breeds lifelong hate.

That hate was crystallized when HNIC brought out the Leaf pom-poms for the Canucks-Leafs series in 1994, and further crystallized by that fanbase's jealous hate toward us circa 2011. f*** Toronto and f*** the Leafs.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I hope the Flames don't sell at the deadline. Maybe they will just let Brodie and Harmonic walk for nothing or re-sign them to long term contracts.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Everyone I knew hated the Leafs growing up and it was a direct result of having their games and coverage shoved down our throats in this market at the expense of Canucks coverage. Growing up, there were probably 60 televised Leaf games here annually as opposed to 25-30 Canucks games and Canucks coverage was constantly bumped (on both CBC and TSN) to show Leaf and Hab games.

I have a distinct memory as a kid of turning on the TV at 4 PM for HNIC expecting to see the Canucks take on my favourite player Steve Yzerman in Detroit ... and having to watch the hapless Leafs play St. Louis or someone like that while the Canucks game was the 'update game'. **** like that breeds lifelong hate.

That hate was crystallized when HNIC brought out the Leaf pom-poms for the Canucks-Leafs series in 1994, and further crystallized by that fanbase's jealous hate toward us circa 2011. **** Toronto and **** the Leafs.
It never occured to me to see it that way when I was a kid. Watching hockey that late in the playoffs was such a novelty and so exciting that I didn't pay much attention to the context. Now, every game in pretty much every market is televised and called by that team's broadcast crew. Leafs fans are a bit arrogant, but I think that's more of a regional thing than having to do with the team in particular.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I get it, they weren't here for all of Canada cheering for the Canucks to lose in 2011. I think it precedes [redacted] being brought into the org by about 3 years 22 days, give or take a few hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad