The 2019-20 Around the League Thread, Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
ya, it was weird; he was the leafs vs Canes ahl aff. game's EBUG as well :popcorn:
We all recall the Chris Leveque game against Oitt during the Burke era when Cloots was hurt and didn’t dress. But is it now standard to have one at each NHL game?

so the home team is responsible for finding one for each home game? Like they have a list of a few guys they can contact for each game? I mean if they ask a Ubc kid, that kid has to be available so they need to have other options in case Ubc has a road game.

like I asked earlier, how are teams in markets that don’t have college hockey or tier II type hockey going to find an emergency goalie each game?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
We all recall the Chris Leveque game against Oitt during the Burke era when Cloots was hurt and didn’t dress. But is it now standard to have one at each NHL game?

so the home team is responsible for finding one for each home game? Like they have a list of a few guys they can contact for each game? I mean if they ask a Ubc kid, that kid has to be available so they need to have other options in case Ubc has a road game.

like I asked earlier, how are teams in markets that don’t have college hockey or tier II type hockey going to find an emergency goalie each game?

I mean, the Leafs didn't use a College hockey or Tier II type. They had the zamboni driver for the Marlies. The Blackhawks last season had a 40 year old accountant.

There's always going to be someone kicking around the arena who's played at some level somewhat recently. And then failing that, a skater suits up. Supposedly Ryan Dzingel was next in line for CAR if something had happened to Ayres.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The Leafs board describes their core players as pretty boys who are more worried about what they wear into the rink everyday and how their hair looks instead of winning and I don’t think there could be a better description of that core.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think a canadian college level goalie in his early 20s is as likely as a 42 year old to get ventilated. maybe more so. the fact ayres practices with pro teams and has some maturity and nothing to lose dignity wise made that situation easier to handle.

Reactions: dps and MS

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
A young man tries to change the world, a wise man tries to change himself.

Kyle Dubas appeared to be pushing back against conventional wisdom in hockey, building his team with the intention of outscoring their problems. He obviously doesn't subscribe to some of the beliefs about toughness, grit, character and having guys in the bottom 6 to do the heavy lifting.

This could end up costing Dubas his job. If it doesn't, he will go one of 2 ways after this; question whether he was ahead of his time and saw something so few before him did, or start to conform to conventional roster building practices and change the complexion of his group. The Kyle Clifford acquisition was a sign that maybe he saw some of the err in his ways.

Will be fascinating to see where this ends up.
Bingo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mean, the Leafs didn't use a College hockey or Tier II type. They had the zamboni driver for the Marlies. The Blackhawks last season had a 40 year old accountant.

There's always going to be someone kicking around the arena who's played at some level somewhat recently. And then failing that, a skater suits up. Supposedly Ryan Dzingel was next in line for CAR if something had happened to Ayres.
Ok. Cause Frank S and Button on TSN were saying post game that competitive integrity that the Leafs should have had someone who had played competitive hockey more recently.

but if that’s not nhl policy then the leafs did nothing wrong. Just a big difference in recent competition between Ayres and the Ubc kid the Canucks has for their game just in case

I mean what would teams in the south be doing for the EBUG.

Realistically, if the 1260 games a year the WBUG gets into a game like what 2-3 times a year in each of the past 5 seasons? It’s not a big deal. Once the other guy goes down then your other goalie has to be more cautious about potentially getting contacted. Hedberg and Mrazek took a risk and got hurt.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Ok. Cause Frank S and Button on TSN were saying post game that competitive integrity that the Leafs should have had someone who had played competitive hockey more recently.

but if that’s not nhl policy then the leafs did nothing wrong. Just a big difference in recent competition between Ayres and the Ubc kid the Canucks has for their game just in case

I mean what would teams in the south be doing for the EBUG.

They ... do the same thing. The home team designates an EBUG for every game, available to either team. It's not like the Stars or the Panthers haven't been doing this. They are usually dudes with some connection to the team who work for them part-time and sometimes practice with them, or the sons of said persons in the case of Levesque.

Levesque actually wasn't an EBUG I don't think. The team had more time to find a goalie as Cloutier was injured in practice hours before the game and they were able to bring him in instead of using the EBUG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad