The 2019-20 Around the League Thread, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Brent Sopel did mention that Crawford would kick him and abuse him. Also said that Crow gave him opportunities and kept playing him and giving him ice time so overall did he hate Crawford? No. All a player really cares about is his career first and foremost. When A guys career goes south then the sour grapes come from guys like Aliu who couldn’t hack it as a pro so they can avoid accepting responsibility for their own failures.

the way Aliu worded his allegations made it seem like Bill Peters buried him because he was black. No Akim you weren’t good enough. Bill Peters was undoubtedly a POS for using the N word but don’t act like you weren’t given opportunities because of your race.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
Brent Sopel did mention that Crawford would kick him and abuse him. Also said that Crow gave him opportunities and kept playing him and giving him ice time so overall did he hate Crawford? No. All a player really cares about is his career first and foremost. When A guys career goes south then the sour grapes come from guys like Aliu who couldn’t hack it as a pro so they can avoid accepting responsibility for their own failures.

the way Aliu worded his allegations made it seem like Bill Peters buried him because he was black. No Akim you weren’t good enough. Bill Peters was undoubtedly a POS for using the N word but don’t act like you weren’t given opportunities because of your race.

How do you know Peters did not send him to the ECHL because of what occurred? Where you there? Are you a professional and understand what determined how a player is moved down or kept in the AHL? Probably not so don't try to come off here like you know anything that occurred in that room 10 years ago.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Weird thread right now. We got people who smugly talk down to others and mock hockey players getting all sensitive about feelings.

You were given the ability to communicate use it. If you dont like something leave or speak up its that simple. Nobody has a legal right to detain you or tape your mouth shut. If your not ambulatory ask for help.

There is zero odds of a year with multiple layers of coaches managers fans teammates and advisaries in a competitive environment is gonna take place without someone doing or saying something you dont like or may take offense to. Learn how to effectively deal with it.
Aliu was bad at hockey why is this surfacing so many years later? He's not looking for monetary compensation is he?

And why is it that Akim or anyone for that matter would play music celebrating derogatory and racial slurs and sodomy but when confronted with distaste of it would lack the awareness the rap could be offensive to people of all colours and races? Did he ever offer an explanation for that?
Was there a front story i missed where Aliu asked Peters the other coaches and the other players if it was what they wanted to hear and if his actions were all good? Raps about Ns and Hoes and sodomy...i mean some people get offended...my Mom would get really really upset. Last time i checked the room its Peters place of employment as well does he have any rights to his work environment? Peters rant appears to be completely off side but how come Aliu has such offense now to the words that he somewhat initiated by the music he was playing and Peters did offer an apology after his tirade and admitted he acted and spoke out of emotion for what its worth. Like i get that as a coach he should be held to a higher standard and what he said was wrong. Just seems odd.
Im sure there's more to it.
Aliu said Peter did not apologized and has teammates at the times to back up his words.

Peter doesn’t

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
How do you know Peters did not send him to the ECHL because of what occurred? Where you there? Are you a professional and understand what determined how a player is moved down or kept in the AHL? Probably not so don't try to come off here like you know anything that occurred in that room 10 years ago.

I’m sure the reason why Bill Peters did send him down was related to what happened. My point is that that’s a different thing than getting sent down because your coach is a racist. I don’t think Peters would bury a guy simply for being black. He has had other black players who have thrived under him. Bill Peters is not even close to the only coach who didn’t think much of Aliu as a player.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Oh my dear God. :facepalm:

You have no idea what you're talking about. Not the faintest clue.

Can we go back to talking around the league hockey now?

you have to love it when a post arguing that even light hazing is unacceptable bullying is phrased like this. oh the ironing.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I think there are probably two conflicting sides here. One is the legal aspect as you've alluded to.

The other is the PR perspective. Much like with the initial Don Cherry statement from Sportsnet, followed by the reaction to that statement, followed by the firing, I'd imagine the Flames organization is very, very closely gauging public perception on how this is all being taken.

My guess is that's why the NHL is getting involved, especially if they go beyond the status quo (aka firing Peters) because the precedent they set will have consequences on other organizations. For example, if the Flames don't fire Peters, how can Seattle take any action against Ron Francis (if they wish to)? And vice versa - if the Flames fire Peters, are other coaches held to the exact same standard if subsequent information comes out? Again, not from the legal standpoint, but from the PR one. We already see how inconsistent the NHL is for suspensions - and the flack they receive from fans for it - consistency in dealing with allegations of racism and abuse will be paramount to the ongoing credibility of the league.

good points. the pr side is part of it i had considered, but the self interest of the nhl i had not though about. not only do they need to be consistent but i am going to guess they are not enthusiastic about a situation where fringe players have power over coaches and senior hockey guys like this. leaving aside aliu, this grew out of commodore calling out babcock and some of the new allegations against peters are about being a dick as opposed to racist. i imagine they are very worried about where that goes.

this is a perfect storm.

Reactions: vancityluongo

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think that is a poor way of going about this. You don't want the inmates running the asylum and that player leadership group you speak of has been under scrutiny by Flames fans. I'm sure that as part of the "investigation" Treliving would have at least spoken to the leadership group. He very well should consult the players' opinions. But being the head coach, Peters is one of the faces of the franchise. When he speaks he is representing the team and the Flames organization. The decision should come from up top as this is the time to show leadership. All eyes are watching. No owner in their right mind will decide based on how the players vote.

Like I said, the NHL are involved as well as the Peters decision can impact the league's image. I suspect the safer option is to let him go so the league or its teams don't have to answer questions about employing a coach who used the N word in front of a black hockey player from Nigeria not to mention the in-game physical abuse that hasn't even been dealt with yet.

If the players came out supporting their coach and he wasn't fired, what do you think happens? People move onto other things to be upset about. I don't mean to be flippant about the issue, but that's what happens.

Then, he would inevitably be fired within a couple years because that's what happens to coaches anyway.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Its absolutely horrifying that these types of matters can rear themselves so far down the line. If Akim went to Peters and management and addressed it immediately he could have removed the barrier and probably be happy with a resolution as i doubt Peters would want to commit career suicide. He also did a disservice to every person who may have been affected since....i just dont get it and i have a hard time with the would have ruined his career BS. He's played on 22 different pro teams in 11 yrs and the Peters racist comments hurt his feelings? Something seems off to me. Im very interested in how this unravels

Love it when people blame the victim. You are part of the problem.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Montreal in a free fall right now.

YoHeCiP.png

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i love how karamanos is like, i called ron francis today but he didn’t pick up. someone tell him i’m looking for him because i wanna re-fire him from the hurricanes.

makes you kind of miss the days of torts trying to fight other coaches.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
i love how karamanos is like, i called ron francis today but he didn’t pick up. someone tell him i’m looking for him because i wanna re-fire him from the hurricanes.

makes you kind of miss the days of torts trying to fight other coaches.
Or ‘good’ old Harold Ballard asking Roger Neilson to return behind the bench as head coach BUT wearing a paper bag over his head as the old **** couldn’t find a replacement.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Love it when people blame the victim. You are part of the problem.
did i though? i just brougt up some counter points.

Does innocent until proven guilty mean anything? i think i summarized all my questions and comments with wanting to await more info rather than defining anyone as anything.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Does innocent until proven guilty mean anything? i think i summarized all my questions and comments with wanting to await more info rather than defining anyone as anything.
Putting the onus on the victim to either avoid or remedy what happened is the definition of victim blaming.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Bill Peters is guilty
There are multiple people who had confirmed the accuses. Aliu former teammates and the current head coach of the Hurricane
The Calgary Flames has suspended him and trying to terminate his contract, he is guilty. period.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Its absolutely horrifying that these types of matters can rear themselves so far down the line. If Akim went to Peters and management and addressed it immediately he could have removed the barrier and probably be happy with a resolution as i doubt Peters would want to commit career suicide. He also did a disservice to every person who may have been affected since....i just dont get it and i have a hard time with the would have ruined his career BS. He's played on 22 different pro teams in 11 yrs and the Peters racist comments hurt his feelings? Something seems off to me. Im very interested in how this unravels
Go read the full story again.

He stood up against Peter and got sent down to ECHL right away.

Reactions: timw33

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Putting the onus on the victim to either avoid or remedy what happened is the definition of victim blaming.
What is he a victim of though? What are the facts?

It's important to extract the truth of this situation. Obviously he was offended and he says it hurt his feelings but did he even direct anything at Akim other than a rant about his music that clearly offended Peters in his workplace. Does any of that matter? Does Peters have any rights to a workplace without N words sodomy and Hoes being exploited in a Rap from a loud speaker?

Until we know the facts Aliu is a POTENTIAL victim not a victim. Its a very important distinction.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Go read the full story again.

He stood up against Peter and got sent down to ECHL right away.

ok i will.

i read one publication a couple times to make sure i was getting my info correct but admittingly i've been working and out of the loop a little as i was engulfed in work till tonight.

So what are the quotes of what he said?

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
And why is it that Akim or anyone for that matter would play music celebrating derogatory and racial slurs and sodomy but when confronted with distaste of it would lack the awareness the rap could be offensive to people of all colours and races? Did he ever offer an explanation for that?
Was there a front story i missed where Aliu asked Peters the other coaches and the other players if it was what they wanted to hear and if his actions were all good? Raps about Ns and Hoes and sodomy...i mean some people get offended...my Mom would get really really upset.

Sodomy was decriminalized in Canada in 1969. Despite you and your mother's distaste for it, homosexuality is no longer socially unacceptable.

Even if your generalization that rap "celebrates derogatory and racial slurs and sodomy" and is "about Ns and Hoes and sodomy" (your words not mine) is somehow true and it offends you, then you say "Hey Mr. Aliu do you mind if we play some country music today?" You don't go and drop a few N-bombs to him.

Last time i checked the room its Peters place of employment as well does he have any rights to his work environment? Peters rant appears to be completely off side but how come Aliu has such offense now to the words that he somewhat initiated by the music he was playing and Peters did offer an apology after his tirade and admitted he acted and spoke out of emotion for what its worth. Like i get that as a coach he should be held to a higher standard and what he said was wrong. Just seems odd.
Im sure there's more to it.

He initiated getting racial slurs dropped on him by playing music? When you hear someone playing a genre of music you don't like, are they initiating you to go drop racial slurs on them?
Peters did not offer any apology to him which is the whole point of the uproar. On the contrary, he called him into his office and dropped another N bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad