The 2019-20 Around the League Thread, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
I find them useful when practiced responsibly. I see them as a tool of mental preparation and confidence builder to perform better as a team, when things go off script. A tool, not the tool.

But if those challenges, pranks and moments of bonding become bullying and hazing, there is a problem to be addressed.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Just makes you wonder what the likes of Mike Keenan and Torts used to do and say behind the scenes. I wonder if this will start a domino effect...

Why mention Torts with Keenan? Torts was overally emotional yes but he cared about his players by & large. To Keenan, even his own players were just pawns to be sacrificed when needed (or even not needed to be sacrificed in order to exercise his power).

I think you also have to consider the decade those coaches coached in and whether the alleged "abuse" could be at all related to tactics. Those authoritative "drill sergeant" coaches existed back in the day but as far as what I have read, the verbal and even physical abuse that was dished out was hockey related. What Peters did wasn't. According to Roenick, Keenan choked him on the bench in an exhibition game in his rookie year for not finishing his checks back in 1988. Peters kick and hit his players 5-6 years ago in what context? There wasn't Torts poking Hansen and screaming at him for something Torts didn't like.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I remember earlier in the season people on here were mocking the Rangers rebuild, well yeah they’re ahead of us in points already.

They also managed their cap in a way that allowed them to offer a contract to a top-15 forward in the league in Panarin, for less than what the Canucks pay Loui Eriksson and Tyler Myers. :))))))))))))))))

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I remember earlier in the season people on here were mocking the Rangers rebuild, well yeah they’re ahead of us in points already.

Their oldest regular in their top-9 is 28 and the only guy over 28 is the 5 minute a night Haley (33), their D-core is built around a 25 yo, 25 yo, 24 yo, and a 21 yo with the two guys 30 and over gone after next season, and they have a 37 year old splitting the net with a 23 year old heir apparent who is a year younger than Demko and somehow has 34 more starts than him.

Adam Fox was an absolute coup.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Ron Francis looking like an idiot now in his statement

The owner at the time openly said it a couple days ago that he did not know about the players abuse

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Im trying to learn here too because im old school. Im in my in my 40s and my coaches and teachers did things that would have half them fired today. Where i grew up i lived with a mix of races and my friends are a united nations and we slander and poke fun at each other all the time like brothers and no one gets offended, we just laugh. I realize things are different today and i have a hard time with the sensitivity because of my background. Im trying to evolve. Anyway im not commenting further on this. I am truly sorry if anyone here has been a victim of these types of hurtful things and i upset them with my attck on Aliu it was wrong

This is largely an American cultural baggage issue that we get dragged into due to proximity. Just the sheer amount of shittiness that's been heaped on African Americans through US history and still lingers today, it's best just to take their word for it and not try to lump it in with the same standard of general multiculturalism. Yes often people can be overly sensitive, but sometimes when you dig into it there's very good reason behind it.

Personally I've taken a big interest in history podcasts for the past year, and one that really stuck out for me relating to this topic was the History on Fire podcast (it's on Luminary, a subscription service) a 3-parter on Jack Johnson, who 50 years before Jackie Robinson became the first black world heavy weight boxing champion. For something a bit more recent that podcast also has an episode on the death of Emmett Till.

Reactions: DarrenX

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I've basically been on Ovi watch since their Cup run, they're a great team, and it's fun to watch someone in our generation chase the history of legends. Ovechkin with the hat trick tonight (with 2 ENG, suck it haters), he's up to 20 goals in 28 games, four behind Pastrnak for the league lead. And now 216 behind Gretzky for the all-time lead...

Reactions: Pip

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ron Francis looking like an idiot now in his statement

The owner at the time openly said it a couple days ago that he did not know about the players abuse
Someone is mistaken. If it was conveyed it was likely done in person or via telephone. Don’t expect it was via email, but if it was the team’s IT staff should be able to retrieve it. What are the chances that there is someone to confirm whether or not the situation was conveyed from Francis to PK.

For PK his issues would be if Jordan were to file a lawsuit, Jordan would charge the Canes who employed Peters. Thus Dundon would be on the hook. And during the purchase process of the Canes PK would have to disclose any potential lawsuits that he may be aware of. So that would lead to another lawsuit.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I've basically been on Ovi watch since their Cup run, they're a great team, and it's fun to watch someone in our generation chase the history of legends. Ovechkin with the hat trick tonight (with 2 ENG, suck it haters), he's up to 20 goals in 28 games, four behind Pastrnak for the league lead. And now 216 behind Gretzky for the all-time lead...
Just no slow down at all at his age. Its great to see

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

I’d love to see how the Canucks would fair if Pettersson missed 13 games too. Rangers kept afloat with their best center hurt for a long stretch.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Fun fact:
Go check out the three way trade between Nashville/Ottawa/Colorado that happened two years ago
It is almost criminal how one sided the trade ended up being

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I also remember people proclaimed the Devils will be good this season, completely ignored their ****ty goaltending

The Devils defense is also part of the huge problem in New Jersey.

They really need to draft a couple of young studs in the next 2 drafts or get at least a decent one back for Hall this year maybe, which isn't likely.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
The Devils defense is also part of the huge problem in New Jersey.

They really need to draft a couple of young studs in the next 2 drafts or get at least a decent one back for Hall this year maybe, which isn't likely.
Imagine if they win another lottery and become the new oilers

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015

Don't forget the people who were writing off the Sharks 2 weeks into the season, declaring them done (they could still be) and acting as if their pick was going to give Ottawa another top 5 pick; They are ahead of us now

Reactions: MS

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

I have no opinion on the Rangers' rebuild per se, but so far this season the Rangers have scored on 11.4% of their shots on goal. The league average is 9.5% so their scoring rate is 1.2x the mean. And still they've given up as many goals as they've scored.

Reactions: Hit the post

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I have no opinion on the Rangers' rebuild per se, but so far this season the Rangers have scored on 11.4% of their shots on goal. The league average is 9.5% so their scoring rate is 1.2x the mean. And still they've given up as many goals as they've scored.
They’ve also played the majority of their season without their top line centre.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
They’ve also played the majority of their season without their top line centre.

Every team has injuries. One guy doesn't make that much of a difference and notwithstanding Zibanejad the Rangers have been fairly fortunate on the injury front this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad