The 2018-2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
Bring on the Pens or Canes. NYI can beat both of them.

Home ice is the key.

Both will take us lightly, we’ll show those ****ers. ;)
It’s funny, I feel the same way. I think if secure home ice for the first round, we’ll beat whoever we face. If we don’t secure home ice, we lose. The Barn will be the difference.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
It’s funny, I feel the same way. I think if secure home ice for the first round, we’ll beat whoever we face. If we don’t secure home ice, we lose. The Barn will be the difference.

The allure of the Coli, though ‘mystical, is true. W 1500 fans cheering in unison NYI will respond!

The Pens are deadly at home, Malkin is back, and we need a Hammer to rough his soft ass up. Perhaps Pulock or Mayfield can take that role.

So much (aging) talent w the Pens, IMHO home ice balances that disparity; if it doesn’t happen, they have to play even harder, and grittier. Grind out a 6-7 game series win.

Reactions: Words Of Wisdom

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

A bit weird IMO. Isles and Pens for instance have almost exactly the same regular season records home and away in terms of points.
Our respective games don't change much and during the regular season we each won a game in regulation in Pittsburgh while each got a SO win in New York.

Curiously all those four games were in 2018 though. I don't see home ice as a big thing, although of course I'd rather we have it than you :).

Reactions: Words Of Wisdom

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
We're ahead of the Leafs...and they will probably play the hardest team for them to beat. Lets go Bruins!

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Nothing like waking up to actuary humor.

Yes there is such a thing.

Wife is FSA, btw, friends with Eric.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Another actuary comment. I saw a documentary once on lions/tigers. The thing I remember most was a discussion of how their lives revolve around resting and hunting - it's all about calorie intake versus calorie expenditure, and they basically calculate whether it is worthwhile to pursue prey based on the likelihood they will be successful and the potential reward if they do catch it. And they'll stop pursuing if they aren't successful by a certain point.

Anyway, the point is that actuaries are like wild animals. :)

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I've been going to concerts and sporting events for a long time and every time I get the tickets...Because I'm damn good at it. And when it comes to getting good seats, let's just say this is usually my philosophy...

Same. At this point, I've become pretty good at determining whether to buy tickets in advance vs. last minute. I've got friends who are like "On stubhub they're X hundred dollars now - we should buy them!!!" Settle down, little one. We will be buying these 20 minutes before they start and 20% off. I've never been shut out of a show I've wanted to see yet.

Reactions: periferal

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
The allure of the Coli, though ‘mystical, is true. W 1500 fans cheering in unison NYI will respond!

The Pens are deadly at home, Malkin is back, and we need a Hammer to rough his soft ass up. Perhaps Pulock or Mayfield can take that role.

So much (aging) talent w the Pens, IMHO home ice balances that disparity; if it doesn’t happen, they have to play even harder, and grittier. Grind out a 6-7 game series win.
Definitely agree on all fronts. Home ice will play a HUGE factor in the series. Possibly the deciding factor. I have more faith in Trotz than the other coaches we may match up against. Quick question? Who do you prefer Canes or Pens?

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
A bit weird IMO. Isles and Pens for instance have almost exactly the same regular season records home and away in terms of points.
Our respective games don't change much and during the regular season we each won a game in regulation in Pittsburgh while each got a SO win in New York.

Curiously all those four games were in 2018 though. I don't see home ice as a big thing, although of course I'd rather we have it than you :).

True, but I personally think that with the experience your team possesses that for a young team like us, the home ice can somewhat balance that. The Barn will be extremely loud and uncomfortable for you guys. But, with the experience you guys have, if you get home ice, I do not think we can beat you. Truly.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Is it just me but is the thought of the Isles winning the first series and Boston beating Toronto almost to much to think about?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think one of the biggest advantages we have in the playoffs is OT. We can roll four lines with impunity (or hockey sticks), while most teams have to shelter their bottom three or even six. The longer a game and a series go on, the more fatigue becomes a factor.

The last few games in particular, it seems that our bottom six spend more time in the offensive zone than our top six.

So a question: we're usually rolling lines as 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3.... (Assuming, of course, no penalty kill or powerless play.) Since lines 3 and 4 are more physical, and also seem to do a lot of forechecking/grinding/wearing down, what do you think of staggering them, and going 4, 1, 3, 2?

Sometimes it seems that we lose momentum by the time the #2 line finishes a shift, and I wonder if alternating the hard lines and the finesse lines might make for more sustained pressure.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
As of 4/1/19

Tampa +275
Calgary +800
Boston + 1000
San Jose + 1000
Washington + 1000
Winnipeg + 1000
St. Louis +1200
Nashville +1400
Pittsburgh + 1800
Islanders +2000
Laffs +2000

If I were inclined to wager, Calgary is decent value in a weak Western conference.
Can't imagine Winnipeg winning. Their odds surely must have gone up.

Back up the truck on the Isles!
Ridiculously unlikely I know but you've gotta play the games.

It's house money at this point.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
As of 4/1/19

Tampa +275
Calgary +800
Boston + 1000
San Jose + 1000
Washington + 1000
Winnipeg + 1000
St. Louis +1200
Nashville +1400
Pittsburgh + 1800
Islanders +2000
Laffs +2000

If I were inclined to wager, Calgary is decent value in a weak Western conference.
Can't imagine Winnipeg winning. Their odds surely must have gone up.

Back up the truck on the Isles!
Ridiculously unlikely I know but you've gotta play the games.

It's house money at this point.
The oddsmakers don’t think much of The Greatest Show On Ice either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia