The 2017-2018 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

What will the Coyotes do before the deadline?

• Total voters

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
When Maloney had the honesty to suggest that the Coyotes were going full tanking before a deadline, the backlash in the league was pretty significant. It might have also contributed to him being removed as GM the following summer.

Chayka was around at the time and no question in my mind that he will publicly do everything in his power to difuse any impression that we are about to trade roster players for picks considering our current record.

Everyone does it, you just can't say it.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
When Maloney had the honesty to suggest that the Coyotes were going full tanking before a deadline, the backlash in the league was pretty significant. It might have also contributed to him being removed as GM the following summer.

Chayka was around at the time and no question in my mind that he will publicly do everything in his power to difuse any impression that we are about to trade roster players for picks considering our current record.
I disagree with tanking because it kills your culture and it is hard to change. If you draft a McDavid or Mathews, it is the only time it works. Toronto looks to be a good team now but the Oilers/Sabres are not. If Chayka dumps Richardson/Reider/Schenn/Duke for 2nd/3rd/4th/5th round picks, he is sending a message to his team that they are giving up. Late picks, even the 2nd, aren't likely going to turn into anything anyway. If they do, they will help the team in 3-5 years, maybe.

Barroway/Chayka made the mistake of jettisoning the leadership group last year of Smith/Doan/Verby/Hanzal/Tip, and are paying the price, a 70 point team is now a 45 point team. If you want to develop the young players, I would keep the vets that are the best examples of the work ethic and attitudes needed to turn this around. That to me is more important then late picks or current stats.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I disagree with tanking because it kills your culture and it is hard to change. If you draft a McDavid or Mathews, it is the only time it works. Toronto looks to be a good team now but the Oilers/Sabres are not. If Chayka dumps Richardson/Reider/Schenn/Duke for 2nd/3rd/4th/5th round picks, he is sending a message to his team that they are giving up. Late picks, even the 2nd, aren't likely going to turn into anything anyway. If they do, they will help the team in 3-5 years, maybe.

Barroway/Chayka made the mistake of jettisoning the leadership group last year of Smith/Doan/Verby/Hanzal/Tip, and are paying the price, a 70 point team is now a 45 point team. If you want to develop the young players, I would keep the vets that are the best examples of the work ethic and attitudes needed to turn this around. That to me is more important then late picks or current stats.

I agree about having vets around, but most of our vets are the problem and the talent level of some.

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
Leaf fan here. Would u guys like Jvr for dvo? I'd be getting a good goal scorer who isn't too old leafs would be getting a cheap center with chemistry for Marner.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Leaf fan here. Would u guys like Jvr for dvo? I'd be getting a good goal scorer who isn't too old leafs would be getting a cheap center with chemistry for Marner.

The only piece we would probably entertain for Dvorak is another young, skilled center. You have one of those, but he is wayyyy out of our reach, and Dvo wouldn't even come close to his value (come home Auston :cry:.) All jokes aside, I probably wouldn't even trade Dvo for Marner straight across, simply because Dvo is a natural center. There probably isn't a deal to be made here.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
ok bad phrasing on my part. He's not available for anything shy of an overpayment.
JVR is not a good fit here in any way but JVR is a 1st line player in the NHL and I'm not sure you will ever say that about Dvorak. I would not make the trade for either team.

Reactions: Jakey53

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Safe to say that Duclair is gone, but I'm curious about Raanta. If he doesn't sign an agreement by the deadline, I'm guessing that he is gone as well.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The only piece we would probably entertain for Dvorak is another young, skilled center. You have one of those, but he is wayyyy out of our reach, and Dvo wouldn't even come close to his value (come home Auston :cry:.) All jokes aside, I probably wouldn't even trade Dvo for Marner straight across, simply because Dvo is a natural center. There probably isn't a deal to be made here.

Really? I'd pull the trigger on that one and never look back.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

RABBIT

Really? I'd pull the trigger on that one and never look back.

wouldn't even entertain it. Dvorak is actually very good center. Good at faceoffs, defensive positioning, and he will probably continue to add steady offensive production. Marner is the flashier of the two players, but i think with Keller and Domi already here (and hopefully locked up soon) we will need less Marner's and more Dvo's.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
wouldn't even entertain it. Dvorak is actually very good center. Good at faceoffs, defensive positioning, and he will probably continue to add steady offensive production. Marner is the flashier of the two players, but i think with Keller and Domi already here (and hopefully locked up soon) we will need less Marner's and more Dvo's.
Agreed, Dvo is more valuable to the Coyotes than Marner would be. Pass for me.

Reactions: Jakey53 and RABBIT

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I return to the need to increase the talent level on our team. Marner is more talented than Dvo. I make that trade. Marner tops out as a top line player. Dvo a second line center.

RABBIT

I return to the need to increase the talent level on our team. Marner is more talented than Dvo. I make that trade. Marner tops out as a top line player. Dvo a second line center.

Maybe as of right now...but that's still debatable. Dvorak has shown he's tapping into to his offensive side, Marner has shown regression this year. We lose Dvo, our center depth goes to

Stepan
Richardson
Cousins
Martinook

Reactions: Mosby

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I wouldn't because DVO is a center. Even if he tops out as a 2C, he is more valuable then a top line winger, unless that winger turns into a Patrick Kane level player. Marner might be a top line winger, likely he is, but a solid 2C carries more value. We also have Perlini/Keller/Domi as potential first line wingers. Just my opinion, but I believe 1C/2C/1D/2D are more valuable and harder to replace then wingers (unless Kane level).

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Every time the topic of a talent versus balance comes up, I bring up the Oilers. Well, lately I've also been able to bring up the Golden Knights. On paper, in terms of sheer talent, the Oilers should be wiping the floor with Vegas. Vegas should be figuring out their odds to draft Dahlin rather than planning their trip to the playoffs right now. It's not playing out that way, though.

Marner may end up as a top-line winger but if we get rid of Dvorak, we get rid of the only NHL-ready center prospect on the team. And we are so, so thin at center already. I'd pass.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Maybe as of right now...but that's still debatable. Dvorak has shown he's tapping into to his offensive side, Marner has shown regression this year. We lose Dvo, our center depth goes to

Stepan
Richardson
Cousins
Martinook
Your idea of regression and tapping into offensive side really differ from mine. Not sure about deal but Marner heading for high 50's and Dvorak heading for mid 30's kinda favors one??

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
gotta keep the overall offensive production relative to output. We're literally the 2nd worst offensive team in the entire league. Would Marner help that? Maybe...he only has what 5 goals, he just plays with better finishers. Dvorak has set up some nice passes to our inept group and received nothing. His last 2 games have been his best games, and he's looking better and better.

I don't want to trade our only good center for a winger. Dvorak will be more valuable than Marner in the long run.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
If we can get rid of the Rieders (last game he had a great chance and rather than doing what good goal scorers do and bring the play back across the goalie and get a tap in, he tries to tip it in) and we need to not have Martinook and Rinaldo playing in the top 9. Tell me what other "good" teams have 4th liners, borderline AHLers playing in the top 9? I'd even count Archibald into that category. I think Archibald would make a great 4th liner with his speed. We need better top 9 players.

Production:
We've got at the moment 1 top line player (Keller)
We've got at the moment 2 2nd line players (Stepan)
We've got at the moment 5 3rd line players (Domi/Duclair/Fischer/Dvorak/Perlini)
We've got at the moment 6 4th liner players (Rieder/Martinook/Cousins/Richardson/Rinaldo/Archibald)

and Rieder regularly plays on the top 2 lines and Martinook/Rinaldo/Archibald play on the top 9, so we just need better players. Strome & Merkley will hopefully help with that in the near future.

RABBIT

Your idea of regression and tapping into offensive side really differ from mine. Not sure about deal but Marner heading for high 50's and Dvorak heading for mid 30's kinda favors one??

it's because you are thinking too hard about my terminology.

Regression: Didn't exactly pick up where he left off last year. Does that mean he's doomed? No. Has had a slow start.
Tapping into offensive side: His offense picked up at the end of last season, just like it's starting to gain steam agin this season. That's why i said "tapping" instead of "bursting onto the scene."

It boils down to the fact that Mitch Marner may always have maybe 10-15 more points a season than Dvorak, but I chalk projection up to him currently being on one of the better teams in the league with offense all around him, and Dvorak being on the bottom of the barrel team again. I take the natural center any day, harder to come by, easier to build around.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4