The 2017-2018 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

What will the Coyotes do before the deadline?

• Total voters

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Not terribly surprising:
Coyotes Won't Be Major Players At NHL Trade Deadline

“I don’t expect us to be overly active,” Arizona Coyotes general manager John Chayka said Tuesday of a team that is out of the playoff hunt with a 9-27-5 record. “We’re looking to tweak, find some players in some spots, but for me it’s not one of those things where we’re looking to sell off and just tank. We’re looking to continue to grow and develop and we’re going to continue to prioritize the development of our young players and this whole group.”

As for the rest of the roster, don’t expect the Coyotes to shop veterans such as Niklas Hjalmarsson, Brad Richardson, or a player on an expiring contract such as restricted free-agent-to-be Tobias Rieder.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
If Rieder doesn't sign an extension it would be stupid not to trade him. Same with Richardson and Schenn but it wouldn't surprise me if our morons keep them then get nothing as they walk. They've certainly done that before and it's worked so well.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If Rieder doesn't sign an extension it would be stupid not to trade him. Same with Richardson and Schenn but it wouldn't surprise me if our morons keep them then get nothing as they walk. They've certainly done that before and it's worked so well.
We'd be missing out on a 3rd, a 4th, and a 5th round pick in that scenario. Those values like indicate some salary retention as well.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
The only assets that will get a decent return are players we're not really interested in trading: Domi Dvorak etc. The ones we will offload are not gonna return anything big. Sell off Duclair because we know its coming. I think Rieder goes too but don't expect much in return. If we trade OEL it'll be at the draft when we know what were going to get. This will probably be a super boring deadline.

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Coyotes open for business?

Usually a junk source but they had the Hanzal deal first, so...

"It’s believed the Coyotes prefer to package Duclair in a larger deal for a young, impact player, though a trade is not believed to be imminent."

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
We'd be missing out on a 3rd, a 4th, and a 5th round pick in that scenario. Those values like indicate some salary retention as well.

Why not stock pile picks if the guy isn't going to be here? It would also get Rieder out of the top six and give more time to look at our youth in a throw away season. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a 2nd for Rieder. He'd be a solid add for a contender looking for help on the pk. I think he is a great pker and 4th line forward. It's a shame he and his agent think otherwise and our brilliant management fuel that by continuing to play him in a role he's not suited for.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

rt

May 13, 2004
Why not stock pile picks if the guy isn't going to be here? It would also get Rieder out of the top six and give more time to look at our youth in a throw away season. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a 2nd for Rieder. He'd be a solid add for a contender looking for help on the pk. I think he is a great pker and 4th line forward. It's a shame he and his agent think otherwise and our brilliant management fuel that by continuing to play him in a role he's not suited for.
I agree completely. I just can't get worked up about it.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Chayka smoke-screen....he can't help himself.

Duke, Rieder and Richie will all be gone, hopefully that returns a 2nd, 2nd and 3rd, respectively. And a surprise move probably happens as well.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Chayka smoke-screen....he can't help himself.

Duke, Rieder and Richie will all be gone, hopefully that returns a 2nd, 2nd and 3rd, respectively. And a surprise move probably happens as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if they move Raanta as well (depending on if he can remain consistent) and try to acquire the next Back-up "ready" to Start

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
It has to be a smoke screen, if someone is willing to offer a bag of pucks for Richardson then you have to take it.

It would be terribly disappointing to not take advantage of other teams at the trade deadline. Here's hoping some teams lose a defender and we've got Goligoski, KConn, Schenn that we could send over.

If you think about depth at positions, our RD position is extremely thin (Wood, Dineen), LD isn't much better with (Capobianco, Joseph), but the C position is still a weakness. They've moved Domi to center, which tells you the whole story.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Yea, why even spend time on what a GM says to the press proir to a trade deadline. The only time you hear even a smidgeon of the truth is after a trade.

Reactions: 0point1 and Jakey53

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Schenn's among the league leaders in hits. That's gotta be worth something. Maybe recoup the 5th from the Wedgewood trade.

rt

May 13, 2004
Maybe Chayka just this dumping spare parts for mid-round picks doesn't classify you as a "seller" in the commonly accepted sense. Maybe Chayka is expectation setting. We aren't holding a fire sale as in years past. But if somebody wants our junk like Richardson and Schenn, he's probably happy to let them go.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I really want the Flames pick they traded to the Isles. Just feel it is going to win the lottery.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Maybe Chayka just this dumping spare parts for mid-round picks doesn't classify you as a "seller" in the commonly accepted sense. Maybe Chayka is expectation setting. We aren't holding a fire sale as in years past. But if somebody wants our junk like Richardson and Schenn, he's probably happy to let them go.

If my memory serves, one of Chayka's first documented contributions to the organization was suggesting the acquisition of Brad Richardson to Don Maloney. Not saying he's got a lifetime 'sweetheart' deal or anything but i don't think he'd ever consider him junk.

I don't think Richardson is completely useless, he's not a bad hockey player, I would just rather move on at this point. Take the 3rd round pick for him, he'll offer a playoff team good depth on center/faceoff abilities à la Antoine Vermette.

Reactions: CC96 and Antonche

rt

May 13, 2004
Richardson would be fine if used as a 4th line center. Unfortunately he's always been our 3rd line center.

NHL:
1C
2C
3C
4C

Coyotes:
2C
3C
4C
AHLC

Reactions: CC96

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
When Maloney had the honesty to suggest that the Coyotes were going full tanking before a deadline, the backlash in the league was pretty significant. It might have also contributed to him being removed as GM the following summer.

Chayka was around at the time and no question in my mind that he will publicly do everything in his power to difuse any impression that we are about to trade roster players for picks considering our current record.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad