The 2017-2018 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

What will the Coyotes do before the deadline?

• Total voters

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You don't think Raanta has more leverage after the deadline than after? That's interesting logic. Especially since the GM now has to sign him or the alternative is looking like a complete neophyte (which he is). He also has nothing to lose by testing the market. He has zero urgency. Chayka now carries all the downside.
And if Raanta has a poor finish or gets injured, his valuation (and his agent's) doesn't change much. Offering him substantially less money than yesterday just makes him more likely to test the market in free agency.
So we're back to, if you think he's your guy, you should have signed him. And if you think he's not your guy long-term or wants too much to sign, you should have dealt him for assets instead of putting yourself behind the eightball the rest of the way.
I don't think Raanta has more leverage period. Your forgetting he is an unproven #1 goalie and that there are very few starting jobs open. Some teams might think Raanta could be their #1 goalie but they are already paying a goalie starter money. They won't risk and can't afford to have 6 mill+ locked up in 2 goalies by signing Raanta. If Raanta has a poor finish or has a more serious injury, it sure does hurt his value.

Chayka did the right thing, no need to negotiate with yourself. There won't be a bidding war for Raanta, he'll get unproven starter market rates from the Coyotes, a for sure starters job in the waiting for him.

Reactions: Jakey53

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You're right. No other teams are interested in a young .923 guy at market value. Chayka is only negotiating against himself. :help:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Hahaha I publicly dare John Chayka to try to parlay Khudobin and Bernier as Raanta's competition for a contract offer into a better deal at the negotiating table. "Gee, John, best of luck to you in signing one of those guys then"
Hutton is the only one in the same category. Khudobin and Bernier are fine for what they are, and we might be stuck with one of them, but they aren't competing for Raanta's money.
You're either happy with Raanta and his terms, or you're willing to walk to find Plan B because a chance at a Bernier and Khudobin is "good enough". If it was the latter, we should have dealt him. If the former, we should have locked him up.
GM's get paid to make the hard decisions. The deadline's when it should have been made.
I hope it doesn't bite us in the ass.
So, what are you going to say if Chayka signs Raanta to 4 years at 3 mill or 3 years at 3.5 mill? I think that is market. If Raanta gets 4 mill or more for 4 years or more from anyone, I will be surprised.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'll be elated and wonder why he didn't sign him before the deadline if that's all Raanta wants.

The same way I'd be elated if Barroway doubled down in Vegas on a 17 and was dealt a four of clubs.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You're right. No other teams are interested in a young .923 guy at market value. Chayka is only negotiating against himself. :help:
I really want Raanta to stay here, and I think he knows nothing is as certain as it is here as far as being a #1 goalie. Both parties know what the other wants and I do believe it will get done.

DoanStopBelievin

Oct 6, 2017
One benefit of RNH for Strome is the Oil save $5M in cap space.

One concern with both RNH and Zib (and Stepan) is none of them are particularly strong at face offs. We waste so much time trying to get the puck back after losing the draw. Richie is our only good face off guy. Stastny would be great in this area. He'd also be the cheapest to acquire (just sign him as a UFA). He's also the worst and oldest compared vs. Zib and RNH.

Perlini - Stepan - Keller
Domi - Stastny - Svechnikov
Crouse - Dvorak - Fischer
Nook - Richie - Cousins

Is this a playoff caliber team?

I'm also starting to wonder if it's almost better if we pick 2nd... Does Svech fill a bigger need for this franchise than Dahlin (assuming OEL re-signs)?
I was wondering this yesterday

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So why didn't it get done?
I would have to think they both know what each other wants and decided to wait until after TTD. I also believe if they were not close Chayka would have made a trade. I'm not going to lose any sleep over this that's for sure.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Sounded positive on Raanta extension on Nattie Hattie podcast.

I think the refresh and better results post Jan 1 / healthy Raanta/Chychrun/Hjarlmarsson has done wonders on our chances to re-sign OEL as well.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
So why didn't it get done?
I'm with you. This is Raanta's big pay day opportunity....he'd be foolish not to at least explore UFA and see if teams desperate for goaltending stability (NYI/STL?) offer up greater term/$

I hope he's close to resigning here, however as you said, why didn't it get done before the TDL and why did Chayka trade and extend a potential 1G in Kuemper?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Sounded positive on Raanta extension on Nattie Hattie podcast.

I think the refresh and better results post Jan 1 / healthy Raanta/Chychrun/Hjarlmarsson has done wonders on our chances to re-sign OEL as well.
It's like we have had two teams this season with little change?? I think you are right as the first half team would have needed major change but the 2nd half team is buildable on.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
It's like we have had two teams this season with little change?? I think you are right as the first half team would have needed major change but the 2nd half team is buildable on.
Played 21 of the first 33 on the road, 12 against the EC and had 5 B2B's. That, as much as injuries, new coach and young players played a factor in the poor start.

Alternatively, the Coyotes are now benefiting from more home games, 3-4 day gaps between games and seeing a lot of tired teams come to GRA.

Don't think we were as bad as the record indicates the first 2-3 months and we're probably not as good as the recent stretch would indicate.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
One benefit of RNH for Strome is the Oil save $5M in cap space.

One concern with both RNH and Zib (and Stepan) is none of them are particularly strong at face offs. We waste so much time trying to get the puck back after losing the draw. Richie is our only good face off guy. Stastny would be great in this area. He'd also be the cheapest to acquire (just sign him as a UFA). He's also the worst and oldest compared vs. Zib and RNH.

Perlini - Stepan - Keller
Domi - Stastny - Svechnikov
Crouse - Dvorak - Fischer
Nook - Richie - Cousins

Is this a playoff caliber team?

I'm also starting to wonder if it's almost better if we pick 2nd... Does Svech fill a bigger need for this franchise than Dahlin (assuming OEL re-signs)?
If all this happens...are we willing to move Merkley + a defenseman (gogo or Demers) for a top 2 defenseman?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Played 21 of the first 33 on the road, 12 against the EC and had 5 B2B's. That, as much as injuries, new coach and young players played a factor in the poor start.

Alternatively, the Coyotes are now benefiting from more home games, 3-4 day gaps between games and seeing a lot of tired teams come to GRA.

Don't think we were as bad as the record indicates the first 2-3 months and we're probably not as good as the recent stretch would indicate.
I do really worry about results we are seeing when they don't matter?? Could some players repeat these when games matter?? I don't think I'd want to be the GM trying to sign contracts on bets??

Reactions: AZviaNJ and _Del_

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
If all this happens...are we willing to move Merkley + a defenseman (gogo or Demers) for a top 2 defenseman?

I'd kind of like to keep Demers and just add a top RD. A right side of Demers, Hjalmersson, and a 1RD would be legit. We have a good amount of young, quality LD in the pipes too so having a quality vet partner would be beneficial. I'm not sure what's going on in St. Louis but Parayko could be a good target. They may not be willing to move him due to age though. I believe he's like 22 so if they are thinking young retool, he would fit their criteria.

@Mosby
I do like the idea of adding Stas, he's a solid guy and quality player. Would definitely be my top FA acquisition. I'd never mentioned him before because I assumed St. Louis would resign him. My priority list for the off season is another 2c, top 4 RD, and a shoot first mid 6 RW.

If we get those things and continue to develop 1 NHL quality talent each season then I feel pretty good about our team. We just need to make the playoffs each year, that will put butts in seats and sell season tickets, that keeps the team and grows the game in the valley. If we can have a Detroit level run at the playoffs then we are bound to get hot enough one year to get to the finals. 20+ consecutive years at the playoffs is a huge thing, even if we never manage to win it.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ

They have not benefited from long breaks; 2-2 on three day breaks and 0-3 on four, five and six day breaks.

Last edited:

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
They have not benefited from long breaks; 2-2 on three day breaks and 0-3 on four, five and six day breaks.
They've benefited from the additional rest/practice time, in addition to a slew of home games which are demonstrated over a 6-2-1 stretch.

For some reason, and this was true during the Tippett years too from memory, they're awful the first game coming out of breaks. Too much sun and golf?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I do really worry about results we are seeing when they don't matter?? Could some players repeat these when games matter?? I don't think I'd want to be the GM trying to sign contracts on bets??
I agree but if the player believes that they have turned down the corner and are building something then they will sign. The point of the last 20 games is to make them believe while not jeopardizing our top 4/5 pick.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'd kind of like to keep Demers and just add a top RD. A right side of Demers, Hjalmersson, and a 1RD would be legit. We have a good amount of young, quality LD in the pipes too so having a quality vet partner would be beneficial. I'm not sure what's going on in St. Louis but Parayko could be a good target. They may not be willing to move him due to age though. I believe he's like 22 so if they are thinking young retool, he would fit their criteria.

@Mosby
I do like the idea of adding Stas, he's a solid guy and quality player. Would definitely be my top FA acquisition. I'd never mentioned him before because I assumed St. Louis would resign him. My priority list for the off season is another 2c, top 4 RD, and a shoot first mid 6 RW.

If we get those things and continue to develop 1 NHL quality talent each season then I feel pretty good about our team. We just need to make the playoffs each year, that will put butts in seats and sell season tickets, that keeps the team and grows the game in the valley. If we can have a Detroit level run at the playoffs then we are bound to get hot enough one year to get to the finals. 20+ consecutive years at the playoffs is a huge thing, even if we never manage to win it.
Draft Bodqvist or Bouchard if you are targeting a RD at 5.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Puck it, re-sign Connauton. We need a 7th D and he appears to have turned a corner. Maybe he's got Toch's system down pat.

1 year, 1 million. Same deal as his current contract.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Grimes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad