The 2017-2018 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

What will the Coyotes do before the deadline?

• Total voters

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Puck it, re-sign Connauton. We need a 7th D and he appears to have turned a corner. Maybe he's got Toch's system down pat.

1 year, 1 million. Same deal as his current contract.

Only 1 year? ;)

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Yeah at this point I dont know how you dont re-sign him. Hell we may have to outbid anothet team. Amazing how much better he looks without Schenn with him.

Wonder if thisnis just his outlier year or he has hit his prime and can be our Stone replacement.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Blows my mind we couldn’t get a late pick for Schenn
If he can't crack the line up on the worst team in the NHL, why would anyone want him? It doesn't surprise me, and I think Schenn will be out of the NHL next year. He is too slow for the game now.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
If he can't crack the line up on the worst team in the NHL, why would anyone want him? It doesn't surprise me, and I think Schenn will be out of the NHL next year. He is too slow for the game now.

You think so? I think Schenn will find himself an NHL job somewhere. Some teams still like a heavy game.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Wait? So when he was an effective defensemen last season, that was “yesterday’s game” and now that he’s terrible with the new staff it’s “today’s” game? Got it.

Well, how did last season end?...

Perhaps they have found one of the things to fix.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
A month ago everyone was clamouring for Connaughton to get dealt and now when he's properly slotted he's likely going to get a multi year deal at over $1M from someone. Schenn properly slotted is useful. I'm not saying play him as a top 4 like he was last year but I have zero issue with him as a 6/7.

Reactions: Jakey53

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Schenn is not so bad. His skill set doesn't seem to mesh with what Tocchet wants. I think. I'm still not sure what Tocchet wants above and beyond pond hockey. Schenn would be fine as a 3rd pairing/ penalty kill defensemen on a heavy team.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Schenn's poor hockey IQ and fat ass is a bad fit for Tocchet's "go, move the puck now, don't even think, go, go, go," system.

He was a much better fit in old coach's system.

Reactions: Lilhoody and rt

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Lots of options.

OEL - Hammer
Goose - Demers
Chychrun - xxxx

That's the basic framework. And I'd prefer to get a 4RD puck mover via trade and shift Demers down to 3RD.

If not, there's KConn, who can play both sides. Potentially Dahlin. Hickey, if signed.

Go into UFA. Sustr, Ruutta, Folin, Postma.

No reason to be locked into Schenn just yet.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'd prefer Hickey to Schenn. Do we still have a open contract slot? Burke just signed but I think MJ is going to win Memorial Cup so that contract slides, correct? We are going to have to burn a year to get Hickey signed.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Wait? So when he was an effective defensemen last season, that was “yesterday’s game” and now that he’s terrible with the new staff it’s “today’s” game? Got it.
OEL was covering his ass much of last year, just like OEL did with Stone and Murphy. Nothing to do with the coaches or system rather who Schenn played with.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Grossman was effective the year before we got him and part of the time we had him. Schenn was effective last year in spots but wasn't great. Z was effective then wound up in the AHL for us. Klesla faded too, it happens. Our top 5D are middle of the pack and Kconn has the 6th spot. There might be a home for Schenn somewhere in the NHL next year, I just don't see it as a for sure thing. He is third pairing at best on a bad team and there are plenty of guys that can fill that roll besides Schenn. Chayka would have unloaded him for a 4th rd pick and we couldn't get that for him, tells me is value is low and NHL days might be over.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Grossman was effective the year before we got him and part of the time we had him. Schenn was effective last year in spots but wasn't great. Z was effective then wound up in the AHL for us. Klesla faded too, it happens.
What does that have to do with “today’s game”?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad