GDT: The 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Another thing hurting the Capitals outside of Kuznetsov being a no-show is that their bottom six is getting obliterated by the Penguins' bottom six. Especially at centre, where Bonino/Cullen are having their way with Richards/Beagle. The Penguins are just too deep of a hockey team. Hagelin/Bonino/Kessel is the best 3rd line in hockey and it probably shouldn't be a 3rd line.

I'd love to get my hands on a player like Tom Kuhnhackl, too. The guy seems to do everything well and is nowhere near being a liability on the ice. That's what a true 4th liner looks like in 2016. Then there's us with good ol' Cody Mac!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Backstrom needs to wake the eff up. Either that or get the youngster Kuznetsov to come though and show that skill.

Otherwise they'll be a victim of team building again. Great regular season success, not enough playoff mentality once again. Oshie is not a playoff performer. Neither is Chimera and he's old. Richards can't be counted on anymore. Williams might have gone to the well one too many times.

If the Caps lose, it'll be the same old story. Not enough from their top guys. Ovi can't do it all.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Very, very different Pittsburgh team than a couple years ago.

Ovechkin is more than holding up his end.

Yes Penguins are playing great, but I still think Caps are losing the series more than Pittsburgh winning. I think Pens are fortunate in terms of some of the goals they scored. Of course they deserve to be up 3-1 lead, but Washjngton had to get their head out of their ass if they want to come back. My post meant that if they do, they can easily force a game 7. I don't think anyone here would be surprised if Washington wins the next two.

Backstrom needs to wake the eff up. Either that or get the youngster Kuznetsov to come though and show that skill.

Otherwise they'll be a victim of team building again. Great regular season success, not enough playoff mentality once again. Oshie is not a playoff performer. Neither is Chimera and he's old. Richards can't be counted on anymore. Williams might have gone to the well one too many times.

If the Caps lose, it'll be the same old story. Not enough from their top guys. Ovi can't do it all.
Seriously? Like seriously? Oshie has been perhaps their best forward, even over Ovechkin.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Was it all Kessel and the coaching change? Where did this Pens team come from? I thought they were starting to die off with no depth or defense.

Major, major culture change when Johnston was fired and Sullivan brought in. Young players were given a proper opportunity to contribute and are a reason why the team is so deep, and Rutherford realized what kind of team he needed to build. Players like Scuderi and Perron weren't going to fit Sullivan's style. So that's why the Hagelin and Daley trades happened.

It's no surprise that the very instant Johnston was canned and Sullivan was brought in that Sidney Crosby reverted to being his old self again. He couldn't stand Johnston and it showed. Look at how energetic the Penguins' bench is all the time. They're legitimately having fun out there. The style of play has been completely revamped and the culture has as well.

EDIT: @Foppa2118 yeah, Oshie has been arguably the Caps' best forward. Probably neck and neck with Carlson for best player overall. He hasn't been a playoff performer in the past but he's playing extremely well this year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Was it all Kessel and the coaching change? Where did this Pens team come from? I thought they were starting to die off with no depth or defense.

Kessel went from maybe the most overrated, to the most underrated player in the NHL in about a 3-4 season span. People can say what they want about him, but he can take it to another level when it counts.

I think the Pens had pretty much quit on Johnston and forcing a move to Sullivan.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Kessel went from maybe the most overrated, to the most underrated player in the NHL in about a 3-4 season span. People can say what they want about him, but he can take it to another level when it counts.

I think the Pens had pretty much quit on Johnston and forcing a move to Sullivan.

I feel like I'm in the minority when it comes to Kessel. I've always been a fan of his. One of the best, if not the best, shots in the league. And he's accepted a 3rd line role in Pittsburgh without complaint. He's surprisingly responsible defensively given all the flak he got in Toronto.

When the games matter most, that seems to be when Kessel shows up. It's a shame for Leafs fans (I don't care though) that they only got to see that for 7 games.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I was rooting for the Blues to win the cup because of Upshall but now with the Fort Mac fires that cheering is gone to the next level. Would love for him to be able to bring that Stanley Cup home to the Mac in the summer. What a moment it would be for that community. I'll probably make the trip out across the country for that moment if it happens.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Weak goalie but it might have been tipped. Still 2-2 series!

Backes being overaggressive opened up the middle of the ice. Makes it sweeter.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Seriously? Like seriously? Oshie has been perhaps their best forward, even over Ovechkin.

EDIT: @Foppa2118 yeah, Oshie has been arguably the Caps' best forward. Probably neck and neck with Carlson for best player overall. He hasn't been a playoff performer in the past but he's playing extremely well this year.

I meant traditionally, he's been an under performer. That was a big part of why St Louis moved him. He has been better this year, but in the Pens series all his points came in one game. He hasn't produced in the last three games. Take out that one game, and he's got 1 goal and 3 assists in 9 games. Which is fine if he can contribute next game and do his part to get them back in it.

That was my point, that if he and others can't step up and produce it will be the same story with them. Not enough production from the surrounding cast. It's not just Oshie. If it was just Oshie not producing consistently it wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I almost want Nashville to win just to hear that crowd go ballistic. Almost.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I almost want Nashville to win just to hear that crowd go ballistic. Almost.

I almost want to see Sharks keep going to see Joe's beard bigger(it's ridiculous right now) Almost.:D

Wilson with the game on his stick(is there a better line in hockey)? I don't think so.

Weber takes another penalty, very stupid.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Hahaha seconds after I posted that. You're welcome everybody, you get to go to bed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille