GDT: The 2016 NHL Entry Draft | June 24-25, 2016 | 7 p.m. ET (NBCSN, SN, TVA Sports)

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Use one of the 2nds on Golyshev -- the overager who was one of the KHL's top scorers last season -- and gamble you'll have him crossing the pond in a couple seasons.

wouldnt mind throwing a fourth at him. His size as always is my concern. We have enough playmaking smaller guys. We need to work on some guys with size and skill imho p.s. love his name :) first name

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=169450 anatoly's stats

Anyone know anything about Cam Morrison? He seems like an interesting option at 44.

a little got invited to canadas under 18 group along with 200 others around if remember right

he is off the grid accepted to notre dame i thought? he is one of few canadians going into college in america or going that route

http://pointstreaksites.com/view/ojhl/news-21/news_291963 some stuff on cam he was rookie of year in OJHL last year

hes always had this size above others i dont have any friends that are scouts in ushl:( so can only say what ive read and everyone says he is almost effortless in ability and skating he is fluid.

Seems like a keeper he has been kinda dominant every where he has went so far and made it look pretty easy.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=172553 cams stats

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Anyone know anything about Cam Morrison? He seems like an interesting option at 44.

His skating is poor. If he fixes that could be a good player but I wouldn't use the 44 on him. Maybe the 58 but early 3rd is where I'd go for him.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
His size as always is my concern. We have enough playmaking smaller guys. We need to work on some guys with size and skill imho

Ah, the size fetish. This is the kind of prevalent thinking that leads to taking the likes of Brian Hart ahead of better skaters and more dynamic talents actually better suited for the pro game.

Last edited:

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Ah, the size fetish. This is the kind of prevalent thinking that leads to taking the likes of Brian Hart ahead of better skaters and more dynamic talents actually better suited for the pro game.

How many tiny players do you want in the organization? We already have

Johnson
Marchessault
Point
Peca
Gusev

And Namestnikov's not much bigger. That's two full lines of players 5'10" and below. I'm all for going after undersized talent on occasion if it means you can get a superior player that other teams pass over but at some point you have to have some size in your lineup or you just get pushed around. Nobody's saying we should go after someone just because he's big but looking for somebody with some size along with skill is not a bad idea.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
How many tiny players do you want in the organization? We already have

Johnson
Marchessault
Point
Peca
Gusev

And Namestnikov's not much bigger. That's two full lines of players 5'10" and below.

In 2-3 years, several of the undersized players you mentioned above may no longer be part of the organization. Avoiding certain players because of the current roster and pipeline composition is, no pun intended, short-sighted.

Furthermore, TB drafting a pint-sized forward does not preclude adding bigger bodies to the stable with other draft picks, trades or signings.

Yes, I would prefer the club I root for to use one of the early-round picks to snatch the rights to a player who emerged as one of the top scorers in arguably the second-best pro hockey league at an age where you're just starting to get a peek at how most other players, especially those drafted at 18, holdup against men.

Golyshev is a rare opportunity to draft a kid with some of the large uncertainty that comes with using picks on amateur teenagers removed. No, that doesn't mean he's guaranteed to pan out but he's as good a bet, if not better, than many who will be taken early on this weekend and the best part is his KHL contract means you get to leisurely assess his progress without committing any actual contractual resources to him in the meantime.

Last edited:

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
His skating is poor. If he fixes that could be a good player but I wouldn't use the 44 on him. Maybe the 58 but early 3rd is where I'd go for him.

Skating is easy to fix. I'd take a gamble on a kid with rough skating and great overall IQ/skills, not the other way around.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Is it true you can't trade first rounders for this year once the draft starts? Saw that quoted somewhere. If true, dumbest idea ever.

But it begs a second question, if true: Can you trade prospects you've picked in the first round(example: every single NBA draft)?

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Alright fellas,

the day has finally come and since I haven't made scouting reports about what the internet has to say about the players, here is my wishlist for the first few picks.

Pick #27:

-German Rubtsov (C): He could go anywhere from 10 to the 3rd round and I hope to god, that is still there when we are on. Here is what Bill Placzek says about him:
Complete two-way performer with excellent size, skill and skating ability. His performance in the World Junior Challenge may have cemented his first round status. In that mid December tourney he seemed to single-handedly take apart the U.S. entry in all outcomes and all phases with his domination. Plays like it is his last game ever. Has really good size and East-West mobility which he uses in puck pursuit to get it back and get things going again. This big strong horse can force defenders backward and his ability to play strong on the puck has him holding it while teammates are able to find the soft spots. Opposing players tried to knock him off the puck but he keeps control and eventually goes to the net. If the seam closes, he with keep moving in possession until a teammate’s chance opens up. Walks out of the corners in control and hungry. Yet is difficult to project where Russian who are not playing in North America are slotted by the NHL staffs

- Dennis Cholowski (D): For me he sounds an awful lot like another Chris Tanev and I love Chris Tanev, if he would be a righty, he would even be above Rubtsov for me. Again thats Bill Placzek on him:
Four way skating defender who has seemed to go from a tiny midget defenseman into a six foot elite skating offenseman. Calm, confident and aware from his end all the way up to the attack zone. Plays on both the PK and the PP where his vision and elusiveness already make him a strong competitor. He will continue to work on strengthening his shot and over all physicality in the weight room. He started at 5’ 8” and projects to be 6’ 3”.
Committed to St. Cloud State University.

- Max Jones: He will likely be gone by our pick, but stranger things have happened and he would finally give us this rare breed of guys to great havok in front of the net and can score. At worst he will find himself in a bottom 6 career, but I am pretty sure one way or another he will make a NHL career out of his talents.

- Nathan Bastien: Big Center, a bit in the shadow of the big boys Nylander an McLeod this season, but has a great overall game.

Pick #44:

- Markus Niemeläinen (D): Seeing Hedman play every day, we know the worth of good skating giants and at 6'5/ 6'6 this guy is one. Good first year in London, but many belief he has a lot more in him. Good offensive tools, 0,5 PPG rate is no small task for a 17 year old Euro rookie defender. Might even be worth a risk at #27 if Murray beliefs in his upside. High hockey IQ

- Lucas Johansen (D): Younger brother of Ryan and likely a project, but the talent in the family is there i guess.

- Rasmus Asplund (C): Classic SY player, slightly build, high motor, high IQ two-way kid. Do I need to say more?

- Mitch Mattson (C): Big, fast and 200 foot game, but not yet a consistent offensive force. Is commited to college, so he should get plenty of time to get it going

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Doubt Rubstov is there at 27 but would take him if he was. Don't want a defender at 27, we need high end forwards so the best one to fall I'd take. At 44 or 58 I'd look for Jacob Cederholm with one of those picks, RD Swede.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Pick #58:

- Filip Hronek (D):
Bill Placzek:
Czech Republic defender who displayed terrific puck moving skills and instincts. runs the PP and reads and dishes well. Not big but plays well in all phases unnoticed. Plays aggressive and doesn't really panic under pressure. Positionally solid in all three zones. Has good vision and sees his outlet options and hits them. Likes to carry with good feet and isn't afraid of the rough going. Not six foopt but an interesting prospect who will needs more weight room to get stronger in body and stride.

- Tyler Benson (LW): He so far hasn't nearly lived up to the hype surrounding him years ago, but he is finally trending up, if he can catch up to where he was projected to be right now, this was a homerun.

- Alex DeBrincat (RW): The anual undersized super offensive guy. Could very well be gone by now, not really sure if he is the kind of guy that is able to handle the pro game. In comparison to Brayden Point, who I belief will have no problems.

- Filip Gustavsson (G): With one of our big boys likely gone next summer, we need more quality in the pipeline and like Boltsprospects said, he sounds like a prototype Tampa goalie.

- Luke Green (RD): flys up the ice, but compared to somebody else in our system he is already figuring out the defensive side and is getting better by the day. Not as small as many of his kind are, solid size at 6'0, but needs to bulk up a bit.

Pick #88:

- Cliff Pu (C): Playing in the shadows of some big names in London, but has a lot of talent. Once a higher role opens up in London for him, many teams might regret not taking him earlier.

- Sean Day (D): Former exceptional status player, he has not found his toolbox yet. He has the perfect body and tools, but he has not done nearly enough with them. Classic Boom or Bust guy. If he gets going, the sky is the limit, otherwise he will ahve trouble getting to the nhl.

- Mikey Eyssimont (C): 1996 born college freshman, with a huge year scoring wise,solid size, gets involved defensivly and physically, but a lot of room to get better still.

- Jacob Cederholm (D): Lanky, mobile defender. Classic long-term project, but the SweHL could be the perfect platform for him to develop. Plays good, when he plays simple, but does so not nearly enough. Room to grow everywhere, but shows the flashes of brilliance you are looking for in an unfinished diamond.

Last edited:

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Doubt Rubstov is there at 27 but would take him if he was. Don't want a defender at 27, we need high end forwards so the best one to fall I'd take. At 44 or 58 I'd look for Jacob Cederholm with one of those picks, RD Swede.

Expect Cederholm to be available later. My money is on Niemeläinen, from everything I heard, he is everything our scouts are looking for. Which likely means we will leave him on the table :laugh:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Alright fellas,

the day has finally come and since I haven't made scouting reports about what the internet has to say about the players, here is my wishlist for the first few picks.

Pick #27:

-German Rubtsov (C): He could go anywhere from 10 to the 3rd round and I hope to god, that is still there when we are on. Here is what Bill Placzek says about him:

- Dennis Cholowski (D): For me he sounds an awful lot like another Chris Tanev and I love Chris Tanev, if he would be a righty, he would even be above Rubtsov for me. Again thats Bill Placzek on him:

- Max Jones: He will likely be gone by our pick, but stranger things have happened and he would finally give us this rare breed of guys to great havok in front of the net and can score. At worst he will find himself in a bottom 6 career, but I am pretty sure one way or another he will make a NHL career out of his talents.

- Nathan Bastien: Big Center, a bit in the shadow of the big boys Nylander an McLeod this season, but has a great overall game.

Pick #44:

- Markus Niemeläinen (D): Seeing Hedman play every day, we know the worth of good skating giants and at 6'5/ 6'6 this guy is one. Good first year in London, but many belief he has a lot more in him. Good offensive tools, 0,5 PPG rate is no small task for a 17 year old Euro rookie. Might even be worth a risk at #27 if Murray beliefs in his upside. High hockey IQ

- Lucas Johansen (D): Younger brother of Ryan and likely a project, but the talent in the family is there i guess.

- Rasmus Asplund (C): Classic SY player, slightly build, hiigh motor, high IQ two-way kid. Do I need to say more?

- Miith Mattson (C): Big, fast and 200 foot game, but not yet a consistent offensive force. Is commited to college, so he should get plenty of time to get it going

I think this is the third year in a row you've been my go-to source of prospect info on draft day. I thank you for that. :cheers:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Expect Cederholm to be available later. My money is on Niemeläinen, from everything I heard, he is everything our scouts are looking for. Which likely means we will leave him on the table :laugh:

R.I.P. the Barbashev dream.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Is this who you really see being available at those slots? All those players you have slotted for certain picks seem like they'll be long gone before that number. Cederholm won't make it to 88 so I'd take him at 58. Like Niemelainen if he's there at 44. Pu at 88 but doubt he's there.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
R.I.P. the Barbashev dream.

Still think about how perfect he would have been a fit everytime his name comes up :cry: Same with Kamenev, though that also might be a personal crush on his style :laugh: Thanks for the kind words as well, hadn't much time this year, but the draft is still a must watch for me.

Is this who you really see being available at those slots? All those players you have slotted for certain picks seem like they'll be long gone before that number. Cederholm won't make it to 88 so I'd take him at 58. Like Niemelainen if he's there at 44. Pu at 88 but doubt he's there.

Not all of the guys will be available at the picks I wrote them, but they very well can be, without being considered huge fallers like Brayden Point was for example. Looking at eliteprospects, the average projection on Niemelainen is in the 40s. I like him a lot and I wouldn't mind reaching for him at #27 either. Pu in my eyes is a classic faller. His stats aren't sexy for a smaller guy, while in the 2nd round plenty of guys with much better stat lines are available all round long. I have also seen Pu being ranked everywhere from the early 2nd round till well into the 4th. Cederholm will likely not be there at 88 I give you that. Big project defenders - especially rightys- tend to go earlier than they should, but just as with Niemeläinen, I wouldn't mind him at 58 either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad