GDT: The 2016 NHL Entry Draft | June 24-25, 2016 | 7 p.m. ET (NBCSN, SN, TVA Sports)

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Hqas Murray ever drafted that many WHL guys?

Brayden Point and Ben Thomas are our only other WHL picks from the Murray era. Tyler Johnson was signed out of the dub and Nesterov could of been with Tri-City, who took him in the import draft.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I like our draft class. Our first 4 picks sound like guys who will be on our team someday and can be difference makers.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The draft wasn't flashy to say the least. Did really well in the 2nd rounder especially. It's not a bad draft when there's only 1 player to complain about and that's Paquette in the 5th. No real upside in that one and his game isn't very good right now but getting Somppi in the 7th males up for that.

Bandit Keith

Apr 5, 2016
Somppi at 206 is very good value. Halifax will be a much better team next year so there's a good chance Somppi has a breakout year.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
If nothing else, the cupboard is restocked with 9 picks from last year and 10 from this year.

If anything the cupboard is overflowing - 7 players can be assigned to the ECHL now as Syracuase roster spots are full. Not counting almost 15 players coming through in next two years not counting NCAA players. Wish I knew more about the ECHL and the contracts that can be assigned there. I mean right now we have Immama, DiGiacinto, Hart, Ikonen, Darcy who need a place to play.

Right Wing Syracuse Depth:
Blunden / Vermin / Gourde / Tammela / (Ikonen, Digiacinto)

Center Syracuse Depth:
Richard / Peca / Point / Angelidis / (Darcy, Salminen)

Left Wing Syracuse Depth:
Tambellini / McGinn / Erne / Paradis / (Broll, Immama, Hart)

So that is like 7 kids we can assign three of which we own the rights but haven't signed.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If anything the cupboard is overflowing - 7 players can be assigned to the ECHL now as Syracuase roster spots are full. Not counting almost 15 players coming through in next two years not counting NCAA players. Wish I knew more about the ECHL and the contracts that can be assigned there. I mean right now we have Immama, DiGiacinto, Hart, Ikonen, Darcy who need a place to play.

Right Wing Syracuse Depth:
Blunden / Vermin / Gourde / Tammela / (Ikonen, Digiacinto)

Center Syracuse Depth:
Richard / Peca / Point / Angelidis / (Darcy, Salminen)

Left Wing Syracuse Depth:
Tambellini / McGinn / Erne / Paradis / (Broll, Immama, Hart)

So that is like 7 kids we can assign three of which we own the rights but haven't signed.

Blunden might not be back and DiGiacinto didn't get offered so doubt he signs an AHL deal with us. Angelidis most likely isn't back so that opens up a spot. Tambellini is going to Europe and I don't see more than one of McGinn, Paradis or Broll back so even more open spots. I'm sure 1 or 2 AHL vets will be brought in to replace some but I see Hart, Ikonen, Darcy and Dotchin in the ECHL nexthe year.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Last edited:

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Blunden might not be back and DiGiacinto didn't get offered so doubt he signs an AHL deal with us. Angelidis most likely isn't back so that opens up a spot. Tambellini is going to Europe and I don't see more than one of McGinn, Paradis or Broll back so even more open spots. I'm sure 1 or 2 AHL vets will be brought in to replace some but I see Hart, Ikonen, Darcy and Dotchin in the ECHL nexthe year.

The UFA AHL player stuff is speculation so I'll leave that aside. But I think that's where my confusion begins with players like DiGiacinto and Immama for example. Why wouldn't we sign them and put him in the ECHL wouldn't that be preferable over going back to play in the CHL for an overage year w/o a contract? What type of contracts don't count towards the 50 contract max and can be assigned to the ECHL? Or can they be signed by the ECHL team and we retain their rights ... could they still come up to play with the Crunch? Would that be a PTO contract ... those don't count towards 50?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
The ECHL isn't so great for developing skaters. You don't send them there if you can help it, IMO. Goalies somewhat of a different story.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The UFA AHL player stuff is speculation so I'll leave that aside. But I think that's where my confusion begins with players like DiGiacinto and Immama for example. Why wouldn't we sign them and put him in the ECHL wouldn't that be preferable over going back to play in the CHL for an overage year w/o a contract? What type of contracts don't count towards the 50 contract max and can be assigned to the ECHL? Or can they be signed by the ECHL team and we retain their rights ... could they still come up to play with the Crunch? Would that be a PTO contract ... those don't count towards 50?

Immama I have no idea what their plan is, might keep him in St. Johns just to add protection to Joseph and Co. But if he got a contract it would have to be an NHL one right now as we own his rights still, don't think we can get him to sign an AHL one. DiGiacinto we let his rights go so Syracuse would have to sign him to a contract, he then wouldn't count against the 50. The contacts that don't count towards the 50 are ones signed by Syracuse, like Dodero, Mormina and Martindale ones. Guys like Hart and Ikonen will count against the 50 no matter if they play in the NHL or ECHL.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Immama I have no idea what their plan is, might keep him in St. Johns just to add protection to Joseph and Co. But if he got a contract it would have to be an NHL one right now as we own his rights still, don't think we can get him to sign an AHL one. DiGiacinto we let his rights go so Syracuse would have to sign him to a contract, he then wouldn't count against the 50. The contacts that don't count towards the 50 are ones signed by Syracuse, like Dodero, Mormina and Martindale ones. Guys like Hart and Ikonen will count against the 50 no matter if they play in the NHL or ECHL.

Didn't Imama sign something with us a few months back? I seem to recall him thanking the TB org on twitter.

I may be out of my mind on this one. Just rings a bell.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Didn't Imama sign something with us a few months back? I seem to recall him thanking the TB org on twitter.

I may be out of my mind on this one. Just rings a bell.

I didn't see anything official and CapFriendly doesn't have him listed as having one.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Looking at the organization as a whole, there is depth at every position except righty D. Getting a big center and depth at center was huge, a sure-fire top-4 defenseman in Hajek was nice, and adding two power forwards, a next wave goalie, and some nice fliers late were solid decisions.

Perhaps one or two of those centers could have been used on righty defensemen with power play potential, but overall it’s a solid draft that should contribute to playoff wins in the future.

BP's full draft review: http://www.boltprospects.com/content/lightning-2016-draft-review

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad