Prospect Info: The 2016 Draft Thread [Draft Lottery April 30th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Well he isn't a hitting machine and IMO should hit even more with that big body, but sometimes when he does, you can see it.

5:38 --> some of his physicality in WJC

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Thank you very much for the rundown. Is there anything of note that he may have been watching on the home team?

Please elaborate on his body language and his IQ. I've only seen highlights of the top rated players so additional first hand info on them would be nice.

From the Oil Kings possibly Elizarov. Big smooth defender that can be nasty but also skate end to end. His numbers don't reflect how good offensively he is. I wouldn't be surprised to see his offensive production make a huge jump in the next year or 2. But it was more likely that he was watching Tri City since they don't come here every season and only once this year.

In regards to his IQ it's more in terms of when he gets grumpy or upset he just does irresponsible things. Which has already gotten him in trouble.

Coghlan looks intriguing in terms of his size and the fact that he's a RHD, anyone know where he projects to go in the draft? Topping also looks intriguing as a potential power forward.

Coghlan is ranked 177th by CSB iirc and I don't think ranked by anyone else which is very surprising to me. Topping isn't really a powerforward but does have an edge to his game. Smart player with slick passing that has come a long way in a year.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
One thing that concerns me about Tkachuk too is how the majority of his points are secondary assists. If you take away everyone's secondary assists he falls to about 30th in league scoring whereas his linemates Marner and Dvorak still remain top 5. I got this from an OHL specific stats website.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
One thing that concerns me about Tkachuk too is how the majority of his points are secondary assists. If you take away everyone's secondary assists he falls to about 30th in league scoring whereas his linemates Marner and Dvorak still remain top 5. I got this from an OHL specific stats website.

Its not so surprising though. He is the third wheel on what is arguably the best line in junior hockey. He is actually a very good playmaker but on this line most of the paly goes through Marner with Dvorak being the primary finisher.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
How physical is Laine? Does he often finish checks hard? That would be an added bonus, his shot and skill alone would be incredible for our team, if he takes the body too he'd quickly become a favorite of mine.

Laine honestly looked like Ovechkin at the Jrs in Helsinki. He was punishing opponents with hits all over. Unfortunately I wasn't able to see him play a Liiga game while I was in Finland, so I have no idea if he keeps that style up playing against men.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Its not so surprising though. He is the third wheel on what is arguably the best line in junior hockey. He is actually a very good playmaker but on this line most of the paly goes through Marner with Dvorak being the primary finisher.

Yes I know and I know that he was good long before he played with them. But he isn't what this team needs.

Last edited:

McDeathbyCheerios*

Well he isn't a hitting machine and IMO should hit even more with that big body, but sometimes when he does, you can see it.

5:38 --> some of his physicality in WJC

He kind of reminds me of Ovechkin. Doesn't always hit but ****, when he does you'll feel it.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Something else to look at.

We have highly skilled forwards who mostly pass. Eberle is the only top 6 goal scorer we have. Yes we have other scorers but i would consider the rest play makers first.

Tkachuk is a playmaker.

Laine? Goal scorer.

We need those. We have too many guys who whiff on constant glorious feeds.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I could've sworn that not too long ago, it was looked upon as folly to draft based on the needs of today because in 2-3 years when that draft pick is ready to contribute, who knows what those needs will be or who will even be on the roster at that point?

IMO that's why you always draft BPA, anything else is just overthinking things and thinking you're the smartest guy/girl in the room.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Something else to look at.

We have highly skilled forwards who mostly pass. Eberle is the only top 6 goal scorer we have. Yes we have other scorers but i would consider the rest play makers first.

Tkachuk is a playmaker.

Laine? Goal scorer.

We need those. We have too many guys who whiff on constant glorious feeds.

Laine vs Tkachuk isnt even close IMO ..
Laine is pretty much a lock for #2 and Tkachuk might not be a top 5 pick.

Only way the Oilers draft a forward with 2016 1st is if they win one of the 3 lotteries.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
I could've sworn that not too long ago, it was looked upon as folly to draft based on the needs of today because in 2-3 years when that draft pick is ready to contribute, who knows what those needs will be or who will even be on the roster at that point?

IMO that's why you always draft BPA, anything else is just overthinking things and thinking you're the smartest guy/girl in the room.

Laine is better than Tkachuk and imo so is Dubois. It's the best of both worlds in drafting bpa and getting a player that fills a need. Magical :)

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Chychrun is awesome, and the Oilers' biggest weakness is on defense. But he is neither BPA (at least not in the top 3 where we are sitting ATM), nor is a rookie D going to fix our problems in the next 1-4 years.

Take him if you're drafting outside the top 3, but don't reach because of a perceived immediate need.

I know going F in 4 of the last 5 years drafting in the top 10 hasn't gotten us out of the basement, but it doesn't mean any of them were the wrong picks.

2010: Hall --> Gudbranson (or Fowler)
2011: Nuge --> Larsson
2012: Yakupov --> Murray
2013: Took a defenseman
2014: Draisaitl --> Fleury
2015: McDavid --> Hanifin

In none of the last 5 drafts would we have been in any better shape taking the top available defenseman over the forward we ended up with. Maybe Ryan Murray over Yakupov, but I have a hard time believing we'd be set on D just by adding Murray to this roster.

Even going back further, Paajarvi for Ellis, Cuma for Eberle, or Ellerby for Gagner (I had McDonaugh ahead of Ellerby at the time, which clearly would've been a different story) doesn't save our defense either.

You don't draft a player just because it looks good on the "how to build a team" checklist. You draft a player because he's the best player.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Chychrun is awesome, and the Oilers' biggest weakness is on defense. But he is neither BPA (at least not in the top 3 where we are sitting ATM), nor is a rookie D going to fix our problems in the next 1-4 years.

Take him if you're drafting outside the top 3, but don't reach because of a perceived immediate need.

I know going F in 4 of the last 5 years drafting in the top 10 hasn't gotten us out of the basement, but it doesn't mean any of them were the wrong picks.

In none of the last 5 drafts would we have been in any better shape taking the top available defenseman over the forward we ended up with. Maybe Ryan Murray over Yakupov, but I have a hard time believing we'd be set on D just by adding Murray to this roster.

Even going back further, Paajarvi for Ellis, Cuma for Eberle, or Ellerby for Gagner (I had McDonaugh ahead of Ellerby at the time, which clearly would've been a different story) doesn't save our defense either.

You don't draft a player just because it looks good on the "how to build a team" checklist. You draft a player because he's the best player.

I agree. If the Oilers are looking to make an impact on improving the defense significantly through the draft with a top-3 pick, it will be Chiarelli trading the pick for an established defenseman.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

This is EXACTLY why the oilers are where they are right now - instead of Yak - Murray, Magnus Paajarvi - Calvin de Haan, Kulikov, Leddy, ect

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

When all things are equal you draft for need.

Mcdavid - no brainer,
Hall/Seguin - no brainer
Yak - wasn't
Nuge - wasn't either -
Drai - no brainer

McDeathbyCheerios*

When all things are equal you draft for need.

Mcdavid - no brainer,
Hall/Seguin - no brainer
Yak - wasn't
Nuge - wasn't either -
Drai - no brainer
The options were between RNH and Landeskog. RNH became a no brainer because we had 0 center depth at that time, had just drafted Hall and RNH and Landeskog have been pretty equal their entire career with RNH being slightly better offensively. Landeskog had 12 more career points in 32 more games.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
The options were between RNH and Landeskog. RNH became a no brainer because we had 0 center depth at that time, had just drafted Hall and RNH and Landeskog have been pretty equal their entire career with RNH being slightly better offensively. Landeskog had 12 more career points in 32 more games.

I get ya,

I think in all respects though, now that we seen it the Oilers ended up where they are with incompetence - not tanking.

Now teams like T.O. are about full rebuild and can look the next 2-3 years who will be there.

This is what makes it worse because it's not an offense to Yak/RNH but they ended up being on a team that has no clue, wasted some years already, and now are being replaced. Even though they got there deals they both get the raw end of the deal.

I personally was a huge fan of RNH, would had I been upset - yes, but my biggest thing is this team is often stuck taking the best player because they don't have the patience to develop a d-man or goalie properly.

McDeathbyCheerios*

This is EXACTLY why the oilers are where they are right now - instead of Yak - Murray, Magnus Paajarvi - Calvin de Haan, Kulikov, Leddy, ect
The draft is all luck though. Look at Dallas, they picked Scott Glennie in front of Paajarvi, Ellis and DeHaan.

Like ****, look at the players that went ahead of Eberle. Kyle Beach, Anton Gustafsson and Chet Pickard have never played an NHL game.

Guys like Filatov, Hodgson, Teubert, Joe Colbourne and ****ing Luca Sbisa went ahead of him too. Lots of teams mess up in the draft and things always look much different when you look back in retrospect.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I get ya,

I think in all respects though, now that we seen it the Oilers ended up where they are with incompetence - not tanking.

Now teams like T.O. are about full rebuild and can look the next 2-3 years who will be there.

This is what makes it worse because it's not an offense to Yak/RNH but they ended up being on a team that has no clue, wasted some years already, and now are being replaced. Even though they got there deals they both get the raw end of the deal.

I personally was a huge fan of RNH, would had I been upset - yes, but my biggest thing is this team is often stuck taking the best player because they don't have the patience to develop a d-man or goalie properly.
No team in their right mind at the time would of taken Larsson first overall, especially a team without centers.

Yak over Murray was a mistake however.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
No team in their right mind at the time would of taken Larsson first overall, especially a team without centers.

Yak over Murray was a mistake however.

It's even worse if the circumstances surrounding are true (katz meddling with things)

I was all over Galenchyuk so I can admit I was wrong. The whole billing on Murray was that he would be an offensive defensiveman, and he will work on his defense. I wasn't impressed enough with his defense.

The draft is all luck though. Look at Dallas, they picked Scott Glennie in front of Paajarvi, Ellis and DeHaan.

Like ****, look at the players that went ahead of Eberle. Kyle Beach, Anton Gustafsson and Chet Pickard have never played an NHL game.

Guys like Filatov, Hodgson, Teubert, Joe Colbourne and ****ing Luca Sbisa went ahead of him too. Lots of teams mess up in the draft and things always look much different when you look back in retrospect.

My feelings on drafting is go with your gut. I know this will sound retrospect but Lombardi said after he had met all the guys in Doughty's/Stamkos draft class there was no waivering from picking Doughty.

I just hope the Oilers have guys on there scouting department who can figure out who has work ethic, and dedication (most can identify talent)

I'm all for BPA if he is unquestionably, if your not in the top 5 I always feel you should just identify a guy who is someone your committed to work with and he is with you. That's why Eberle was a no brainer, teams complicate things in those situations. Just like Parise. I like how Lou said it about drafting him we want hockey guys and that's what he is.

Sounds simple, but get guys who live, eat, breathe hockey.

McDeathbyCheerios*

It's even worse if the circumstances surrounding are true (katz meddling with things)

I was all over Galenchyuk so I can admit I was wrong. The whole billing on Murray was that he would be an offensive defensiveman, and he will work on his defense. I wasn't impressed enough with his defense.

My feelings on drafting is go with your gut. I know this will sound retrospect but Lombardi said after he had met all the guys in Doughty's/Stamkos draft class there was no waivering from picking Doughty.

I just hope the Oilers have guys on there scouting department who can figure out who has work ethic, and dedication (most can identify talent)

I'm all for BPA if he is unquestionably, if your not in the top 5 I always feel you should just identify a guy who is someone your committed to work with and he is with you. That's why Eberle was a no brainer, teams complicate things in those situations. Just like Parise. I like how Lou said it about drafting him we want hockey guys and that's what he is.

Sounds simple, but get guys who live, eat, breathe hockey.
It's why you go BPA. Cause scouts have spent years identifying those players. Unless a teams own scouts know for a fact that a player will be good, going off the board tends to backfire more often than not.

Jones fell from 1st to 4th and i bet Tampa and Florida kind of regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad