Prospect Info: The 2016 Draft Thread [Draft Lottery April 30th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Arizona wouldn't do trade OEL for Matthews let alone add...
The fact that Matthews is actually from the Arizona area makes the offer a little more likely. I think a lot will depend on how Arizona does for the rest of the season. If they continue to fade like they have in the last 10 games and look like they're a few seasons away from the playoffs, they might entertain moving Ekman-Larsson for a franchise player they can market as easily as Matthews.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
The fact that Matthews is actually from the Arizona area makes the offer a little more likely. I think a lot will depend on how Arizona does for the rest of the season. If they continue to fade like they have in the last 10 games and look like they're a few seasons away from the playoffs, they might entertain moving Ekman-Larsson for a franchise player they can market as easily as Matthews.

Matthews or no Matthews Arizona is a pipedream.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Code:

They have lots of talented young forwards but a fairly weak defense outside of OEL (who is also their leading point getter). They aren't trading him, it doesn't make any sense.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Laine is who I have always favored but I am high on Juolevi at this point.

Trade one of Eberle or Yakupov. Go hard on Shattenkirk.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Laine is who I have always favored but I am high on Juolevi at this point.

Trade one of Eberle or Yakupov. Go hard on Shattenkirk.
Yak and a 1st+ might get it done. Especially if the cap drops.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Debrincat and Benson are both gone in the first round in my draft. I know what you are saying, but Howden does have high potential, AND he's safe.

I have to agree with the others, not much interest in Howden with our 2nd round pick. These type of guys are always called "safe" but they're really not all that safe. Most of them lack the high-end offense to become contributing players in the NHL. I don't know why the narrative that a player who isn't great offensively but has a good all-around game is able to carve himself out an NHL career in a smaller role, because that is far from a given.

The way these guys mostly develop is that they take at least 4 years, more likely 5 to even reach the NHL and when/if they do it's often as a fringe player. I mean, just look at Howdens brother Quinton. He was drafted late in the 1st round in 2010 and it's not until this year that he is a regular and he is likely never going to be anything more than a bottom-six guy. It's just not a good idea to take these guys. Much rather take my chances with someone who has high upside.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
After reading the HF scouting report on Charlie McAvoy I think I'm even more intrigued by him. He looks like he'll be somewhere in the 15 ish range. Could be the range the Devils are picking, and they could be a team that might be interested in Yakupov. Yak + 63 for 15?

He'd be 2-3 years away, but sounds like a good puck mover with size. Petry with better puck skills and breakouts but not as good a skater might be the comparable here.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Of course they would. Even if the Gm wouldn't do that trade, the owner sure as hell would.

link?

Seems like very wishful thinking from a select group of Oiler fans who keep bringing up this trade scenario as if Arizona HAS TO make this trade. And then you're adding one of their best young forwards to the deal? Craziness

Besides the fact that it's a very remote chance that the Oilers even have a chance to take Matthews, Arizona has no reason to deal OEL. Makes no sense. Matthews isn't some marketing dream like McDavid is. He's a very good but unspectacular player, not much dynamic appeal to his game. He's kind of like Kopitar, very good all around but not a very pretty game.

From a hockey perspective, it makes even less sense. They have very little on the blueline outside of OEL and they already drafted their franchise center in Strome.
They might as well fold the franchise if they plan on doing a full rebuild. Even less fans will show up as the losses pile up more and more.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
link?

Seems like very wishful thinking from a select group of Oiler fans who keep bringing up this trade scenario as if Arizona HAS TO make this trade. And then you're adding one of their best young forwards to the deal? Craziness

Besides the fact that it's a very remote chance that the Oilers even have a chance to take Matthews, Arizona has no reason to deal OEL. Makes no sense. Matthews isn't some marketing dream like McDavid is. He's a very good but unspectacular player, not much dynamic appeal to his game. He's kind of like Kopitar, very good all around but not a very pretty game.

From a hockey perspective, it makes even less sense. They have very little on the blueline outside of OEL and they already drafted their franchise center in Strome.
They might as well fold the franchise if they plan on doing a full rebuild. Even less fans will show up as the losses pile up more and more.
This is were we differ. Matthews IMO in Arizona is a bigger marketing dream then McDavid.
I don't think it's a good hockey decision either but if Arizona wants to continue having a team Matthews is their best hope to do so.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Don Maloney doesn't own the Arizona Coyotes. If Andrew Barroway and IceCoyotes think that getting Auston Matthews would substantially increase revenues for the team, you can damn well bet that Matthews gets OEL.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This is were we differ. Matthews IMO in Arizona is a bigger marketing dream then McDavid.
I don't think it's a good hockey decision either but if Arizona wants to continue having a team Matthews is their best hope to do so.

I meant compared to the style of player McDavid is. If McDavid was the hometown boy, I could see them dealing anything for him not only because of his playing ability but because his style of play is much more marketable.
Matthews just doesn't seem like a very marketable kid and to be quite honest, I doubt many people in the Glendale area even know who Matthews is.

It would be amazing for the Oilers if Arizona considered such a deal but I just think the hometown angle is being overstated here. If OEL was due for a new contract and they couldn't afford to re-sign him, I could see it being a possibility but with him being locked up at a majorly discounted rate for the next 3 seasons and with them being somewhat in contention ahead of schedule, I can't see him being available at all.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Defenceman Dante Fabbro may become a steal playing for Penticton with Tyson Jost.

I am curious to see where he goes, possibly a late first rounder.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Don Maloney doesn't own the Arizona Coyotes. If Andrew Barroway and IceCoyotes think that getting Auston Matthews would substantially increase revenues for the team, you can damn well bet that Matthews gets OEL.

I used to think this too......

maybe they can use this graph somehow.

graph.png

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Defenceman Dante Fabbro may become a steal playing for Penticton with Tyson Jost.

I am curious to see where he goes, possibly a late first rounder.

It's too bad he's been disappointing at all of the big events this year. But you're right he could be a steal.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

You guys are overrating the marketing potential of Matthews way too much. The hardcore fans in Arizona would be the only ones who know who he is, and chances are most of them already own season tickets. There are plenty of sports entertainment options down there and the Coyotes suffer because of it. The only thing that is going to get people's attention is wins and playoff games. OEL brings them a lot closer to that.

Even if Matthews somehow boosted their season ticket base by 2000 (not that I think there are 2000 people who currently don't go to Yotes games that would be swayed to do so by the local kid angle), in Arizona those 2000 season tickets probably only equate to 2-3 million in revenue (assuming the ticket price averages around $30). The kid isn't going to have anywhere close to the same marketing impact McDavid has.

Then there's the actual logistics in terms of on ice product. The D is pretty thin after OEL, not to mention in their prospect pool as well. At the same time, they have young forwards producing at the NHL level (Duclair, Domi, Rieder), as well as in the prospect pool (Strome, Perlini).

It's just not happening.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
You guys are overrating the marketing potential of Matthews way too much. The hardcore fans in Arizona would be the only ones who know who he is, and chances are most of them already own season tickets. There are plenty of sports entertainment options down there and the Coyotes suffer because of it. The only thing that is going to get people's attention is wins and playoff games. OEL brings them a lot closer to that.

Even if Matthews somehow boosted their season ticket base by 2000 (not that I think there are 2000 people who currently don't go to Yotes games that would be swayed to do so by the local kid angle), in Arizona those 2000 season tickets probably only equate to 2-3 million in revenue (assuming the ticket price averages around $30). The kid isn't going to have anywhere close to the same marketing impact McDavid has.

Then there's the actual logistics in terms of on ice product. The D is pretty thin after OEL, not to mention in their prospect pool as well. At the same time, they have young forwards producing at the NHL level (Duclair, Domi, Rieder), as well as in the prospect pool (Strome, Perlini).

It's just not happening.

I completely agree, but there's so many fans who are enamoured with the low hanging fruit of a local Arizona kid being some sort of marketing bonanza that your message isn't going to find many listeners.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
You guys are overrating the marketing potential of Matthews way too much. The hardcore fans in Arizona would be the only ones who know who he is, and chances are most of them already own season tickets.

That's present-tense. That's the number of people who care right now.

If Matthews winds up in Arizona, that number jacks up considerably. Newspapers, local radio, national television all grab that thread and run with it. There would be a constant narrative about this local boy playing for the big club and that would generate interest.

It may be that Arizona's ownership and management deems OEL more crucial to their on and off ice success than Matthews, but your dismissal of the marketing potential of Matthews is way off-base.

The team and complicit media would push it like crazy, and locals would notice. It would raise awareness and interest in the team far beyond the current hockey fan base. Sports fans and locals who don't care about hockey would be sold the story.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
At least for the next three years OEL helps you win in Arizona much more than Matthews. After OEL the Yote's defense is worse than the Oilers and they don't have a single prospect that is anywhere near NHL ready. And winning will do more for the bottom line than a home town kid. Beyond three years there is a real chance that franchise is not in Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad