Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
So according to here:

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHLlottery.html

...the Oilers are the favourites to finish deal last in the league.

According to the draft odds earlier in this thread... if they do finish 30th, they have a high chance of drafting 4th overall.

If they were to draft 4th overall and the "BIG 3" were all gone... who would you want the Oilers to select if they didn't trade the pick away...

Tkachuk
Chycrun
Juolevi

Those seem to be the consensus favourites for the Oilers at that #4 spot.

Who would you pick out of those 3?

Also... let's say the team at #3 was willing to swap the #4 pick with the Oilers if the Oilers added Yak.

Would you do that deal? Yak + the 4th for the #3 pick?

Logical McNonsense

Jul 3, 2015
Medicine Hat, AB
A player that stands out to me every time I scout his team is Dman David Quenneville from the Medicine Hat Tigers. He's a speedy and small offensive dman (5'8" ~185 lbs) but he has fantastic offensive tools and a wicked slap shot. He's 3rd on his team in points with 38 in 48. Despite his size he displays a willingness to battle on the boards and he can actually throw some pretty good checks too. His Defensive zone play does need some fine tuning as he does occasionally have giveaways and he does need to get stronger obviously if he hopes to play pro. He is a -17 on the season which isn't as bad as it sounds with some of his teammates being in the -30s.

Now before everyone replies to me with "we don't need tiny dmen blah blah blah" just think about this. Central Scouting I think has him ranked around 200th, I don't know about you guys but in the last or even 2nd last round of the draft I would definitely take a defender with impressive offensive tools, legit production and that has been dominant at every level. He's also an Edmonton boy for those that like that.

Just my 2 cents

I live in Medicine Hat and know David. The dude is legit. He has a never quite attitude and is an exceptional skater. Has great puck handling skills and a good shot. Runs the tigers PP too.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
So according to here:

According to the draft odds earlier in this thread... if they do finish 30th, they have a high chance of drafting 4th overall.

If they were to draft 4th overall and the "BIG 3" were all gone... who would you want the Oilers to select if they didn't trade the pick away...

Tkachuk
Chycrun
Juolevi

Also... let's say the team at #3 was willing to swap the #4 pick with the Oilers if the Oilers added Yak.

I'd pick Juolevi but to be fair I've only seen him in the WJC

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
So according to here:

Tkachuk
Chycrun
Juolevi

No, I would rather move down the draft order than up this year tbh. All the top end D prospects are left handed. Lets trade Yak+4th to get a player and later 1st. Lets making the scouting staff actually do some work other than pick the 1st overall.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If its not top 3 pick..trade it..
1st++ for Pieterangelo, Shattenkirk or Burns

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
All signs point towards another #1 selection. It's fated.

I want to see the HF meltdown.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
So according to here:

Tkachuk
Chycrun
Juolevi

My obvious hope would be to trade it (or package it) for a legit top pair dman but my other options are:

If we pick at #4 and we want a forward then for me it's easily Dubois. He's the complete package of size, strength, scoring and 2-way play. I've been a Tkachuk fan for almost 3 years now but he isn't what we need. He's a gifted passer that can play with grit at times but for his size he isn't a great skater and imo the moves and maneuvers he makes in the OHL aren't going to work in the NHL.

If we are picking a defender then I would consider trading down 3-5 spots and taking Sergachev. He had a slow start to the season (adjusting to the NA game) but he has been an absolute beast offensively the last couple months and is now 3rd in dman scoring. He's also Big, strong defensively and a powerful skater. Imagine a pairing of him and Nurse... Nasty. With that said Chychrun and Juolevi are excellent also and not bad choices obviously.

I live in Medicine Hat and know David. The dude is legit. He has a never quite attitude and is an exceptional skater. Has great puck handling skills and a good shot. Runs the tigers PP too.

Honestly if this guy was 3" taller then he would be talked about as a 2nd rounder. I personally like him more than Bean (not saying he will be better though). DQ is a much better skater, has a better slap shot and is much better physically (despite being 5'8"). Easy choice for me in a late round.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
My obvious hope would be to trade it (or package it) for a legit top pair dman but my other options are:

If we pick at #4 and we want a forward then for me it's easily Dubois. He's the complete package of size, strength, scoring and 2-way play. I've been a Tkachuk fan for almost 3 years now but he isn't what we need. He's a gifted passer that can play with grit at times but for his size he isn't a great skater and imo the moves and maneuvers he makes in the OHL aren't going to work in the NHL.

If we are picking a defender then I would consider trading down 3-5 spots and taking Sergachev. He had a slow start to the season (adjusting to the NA game) but he has been an absolute beast offensively the last couple months and is now 3rd in dman scoring. He's also Big, strong defensively and a powerful skater. Imagine a pairing of him and Nurse... Nasty. With that said Chychrun and Juolevi are excellent also and not bad choices obviously.

You hit the nail on the head. Those are my exact thoughts. Dubois/Sergachyov are my choices if we pick outside the top3.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Matthews is downright filthy. His play in NLA should make him a pick comparable with Malkin. I had Eichel on par with Tavares/Stamkos and I think Matthews could be Malkin or even Ovechkin level.

Imagine winning the lotto and having a McDavid/Matthews center duo for next 15 years. That rivals and maybe even beats Crosby/Malkin. Oh yeah and add in Drasaitl...and Hall...and RNH.... and Eberle

I am not advocating tanking at all. Just a side thought if we finish like 5th last and win.

I could see Matthews as a 65-70 point center next year. So I honestly dont think the league would have seen as much firepower as wed have in past 20 years.

This is all for pure fun and to kill time, so please dont take this seriously. But if all forwards hit potential in next 4 years wed have a forward core like this

Iginla(Hall)-Crosby(McDavid)-Cammalleri(Eberle)
Kopitar(Drasaitl)-Malkin(Matthews)-Bergeron (RNH)

You could probaly only keep that core together for 3 season, but holy **** would that be unreal

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
Matthews is downright filthy. His play in NLA should make him a pick comparable with Malkin. I had Eichel on par with Tavares/Stamkos and I think Matthews could be Malkin or even Ovechkin level.

Imagine winning the lotto and having a McDavid/Matthews center duo for next 15 years. That rivals and maybe even beats Crosby/Malkin. Oh yeah and add in Drasaitl...and Hall...and RNH.... and Eberle

I am not advocating tanking at all. Just a side thought if we finish like 5th last and win.

I could see Matthews as a 65-70 point center next year. So I honestly dont think the league would have seen as much firepower as wed have in past 20 years.

This is all for pure fun and to kill time, so please dont take this seriously. But if all forwards hit potential in next 4 years wed have a forward core like this

You could probaly only keep that core together for 3 season, but holy **** would that be unreal

Looks good until you check the standings again next year!

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

And they would still manage to be bottom 3 in the league despite drafting Matthews

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
here is my thinking and as per usual--most of you will not like it

if we are drafting 3 or 4

I take MATTHEW TKACHUK--he just reminds me too much of his father

He is a FW who gets into the nasty areas of the game and plays the complete game. We do not have a top 6 guy that does that. We may need a wait a year for him to play one more year in junior. The Physical aspect of his game and my belief he will be a top 6 FW--Pouliot buys time from tossing him into the deep zone too quickly

He is a LW

LWS--- Hall + MATTHEW TKACHUK
C- McDavid and one of Nuge or Leon D
RW-Eberle

I know trading Nuge or Leon D for a D--is not popular--having too many good C's is a good thing--however--my concern is long term salary cap implications

We need D and either Nuge or Leon D moved to address that IMO--flame away

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
i haven't been paying any attention to this year's crop.

if there's a high end Dman or a big skilled winger who can score, it's pretty easy to pick, just depends where the dominos fall

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
and if they do win the draft lottery and end up being able to pick Matthews, they can dangle Hall/Eberle/RNH no problem, use those pieces to get their Dman.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If they have any of the top 5, you trade it.

Enough with the young guys, get NHLers. Use the leverage to move out a bad contract or two and upgrade. Fix the defense. There are good players in the top five but that pick is your best trade chip at the draft table. Use it.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
here is my thinking and as per usual--most of you will not like it

if we are drafting 3 or 4

I take MATTHEW TKACHUK--he just reminds me too much of his father

He is a FW who gets into the nasty areas of the game and plays the complete game. We do not have a top 6 guy that does that. We may need a wait a year for him to play one more year in junior. The Physical aspect of his game and my belief he will be a top 6 FW--Pouliot buys time from tossing him into the deep zone too quickly

He is a LW

LWS--- Hall + MATTHEW TKACHUK
C- McDavid and one of Nuge or Leon D
RW-Eberle

I know trading Nuge or Leon D for a D--is not popular--having too many good C's is a good thing--however--my concern is long term salary cap implications

We need D and either Nuge or Leon D moved to address that IMO--flame away

I would be livid if they passed on Laine or Puljujarvi at 3 for Tkachuk. Don't get me wrong, Tkachuk is my guy at #4 too, but you simply don't pass on one of the Finns. I would argue those two serve a bigger need for us than Tkachuk does. First of all, they are both right handed which is a clear bonus. We have way more left handed shots up front than we do right. Second, multiple people have stated the top 3 is interchangeable and there is a drop off right after. So passing on a guy who could easily be a 1st overall pick depending on the team is madness. Third, Tkachuk brings nothing that the two Finns don't already bring. I mean we're talking about 6'3 200 (Puljujarvi) and 6'4 210 (Laine) wingers that don't shy away physically either.

I can't think of a single reason for taking Tkachuk over either of them. Not only do I think the two players themselves bring more to the Oilers than Tkachuk does, but I think going forward it lines up better.

xxxxx - McDavid - Laine/Puljujarvi
Hall - Draisaitl - xxxxx

On any given night we have it perfectly aligned that you can basically pick your matchups depending on the strength of one teams LD vs. RD because of Hall and Pulju/Laine.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
If they have any of the top 5, you trade it.

Enough with the young guys, get NHLers. Use the leverage to move out a bad contract or two and upgrade. Fix the defense. There are good players in the top five but that pick is your best trade chip at the draft table. Use it.

Well, if they're picking 4 that's where you entertain trading it IMO. If we're picking top 3 any of those players we would be better off taking and trading all of RNH/Ebs/Yak for help elsewhere. I know plugging youngsters in the lineup is getting old, but if surrounded with quality veterans and better defense it's a big difference.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well, if they're picking 4 that's where you entertain trading it IMO. If we're picking top 3 any of those players we would be better off taking and trading all of RNH/Ebs/Yak for help elsewhere. I know plugging youngsters in the lineup is getting old, but if surrounded with quality veterans and better defense it's a big difference.

I could honestly just see them taking Chychrun in that case. Nothing really wrong with that per se.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Is the fact that we need to trade a young forward for defense eastern media Kool aid?

When has it ever been the case that once a defender is on the block he. Gets that kind of a return?

-they need to change the look of the forward group
-they need defense

Maybe they kill two birds with one stone but I don't understand the "good luck fixing your defence" argument. Why can't you trade expendable pieces for improvements? It happens every year.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I could honestly just see them taking Chychrun in that case. Nothing really wrong with that per se.

Except for that he wouldn't make an impact for another 3-4 years. Think about it.. we all view Klefbom and Nurse as sure fire top 4 defenseman going forward. Davidson is shaping up to be a solid #5-6. Sekera is a solid player locked up another 5 years. We expect Chia to add at least one top 4 defenseman this summer at the expense of a forward. Three-four years from now our defense looks good. That's not even considering if Reinhart comes around. We just need the right pieces (in the right age range) and this group is set going forward. If that big piece comes at the expense of a 4th/5th overall pick, do it.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I would be livid if they passed on Laine or Puljujarvi at 3 for Tkachuk. Don't get me wrong, Tkachuk is my guy at #4 too, but you simply don't pass on one of the Finns. I would argue those two serve a bigger need for us than Tkachuk does. First of all, they are both right handed which is a clear bonus. We have way more left handed shots up front than we do right. Second, multiple people have stated the top 3 is interchangeable and there is a drop off right after. So passing on a guy who could easily be a 1st overall pick depending on the team is madness. Third, Tkachuk brings nothing that the two Finns don't already bring. I mean we're talking about 6'3 200 (Puljujarvi) and 6'4 210 (Laine) wingers that don't shy away physically either.

I can't think of a single reason for taking Tkachuk over either of them. Not only do I think the two players themselves bring more to the Oilers than Tkachuk does, but I think going forward it lines up better.

Hall - Draisaitl - xxxxx

On any given night we have it perfectly aligned that you can basically pick your matchups depending on the strength of one teams LD vs. RD because of Hall and Pulju/Laine.

What does Patrik Laine and Jesse Puljujärvi bring to the table that we do not already have in Nuge, Hall, Eberle, Leon D and Mcdavid?--they are not that physical that would separate from the 4 top guys we have already? we have the finesse players already --we need someone who has the potential to play physical top 6--

Hall - Draisaitl - xxxxx

ZERO toughness there

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
What does Patrik Laine and Jesse Puljujärvi bring to the table that we do not already have in Nuge, Hall, Eberle, Leon D and Mcdavid?--they are not that physical that would separate from the 4 top guys we have already? we have the finesse players already --we need someone who has the potential to play physical top 6--

Hall - Draisaitl - xxxxx

ZERO toughness there

Have you even watched Laine or Puljujarvi? Laine was a bully at the World Juniors. He's arguably the most promising power forward since Ovechkin's draft year. Puljujarvi is less noticeable physically, but from what I've seen isn't afraid to muck it up either. Plus, that's just the framework of a future top 6. You can add physicality to either line and have a great mix.

Passing on better players because the guy ranked behind them is more physical is just flat out dumb. Especially this year because like I said, these two players are massive as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad