Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
tigervixxxen addressed it already, but I think the fact that he is Russian will cause him to fall a bit, even though he has been here forever. His dedication to playing in the NHL is another reason I want the Avs to pick him.

Russian factor won't hurt him. The kid will win enough teams over via interviews that he'll be a safe pick in that regard.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
This is a year that I can see the Avs pick outside NA as there are quite a few Euros playing in the CHL who are more the Avs' type (size, 2-way with skill, etc).

Rantanen, Zacha, Provorov - probably at least 2 will be gone already
Kylington - don't see the Avs using their first on him
Zboril, Meier, Svechnikov - possibilities if the Avs finish strong and pick lower than anticipated

I still think they will pick a FWD. Provorov is the only one I could see them pick if he is still there.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Which forward? I'm not sure they'd take Rantanen. I think the worse they finish a forward is more likely, the better a D is more likely.
Rantanen, Zacha (if one of them is there), or Connor, Meier or Svechnikov if we finish better. Meier seems to be a good fit. He seems to be a mix of ROR. Landy and Bleackley.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
If they finish around the 13 or 14 range pretty much all the excellent quality Dmen will be gone. I bet Werenski, Provorov, and Kylington will be gone. So if they have a pick in that range I wouldn't mind using it on Paul Bittner. Can add more muscle and consistency to his game but he fills a need in the prospect pool. Some people have expressed their disinterest in him. I don't know a whole lot but I like the statistical base.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
Would love to get a goal scoring winger.

We have a bunch of playmakers and 2 way guys. Let's get someone that can snipe it.

or sign an offersheet with Tarasenko :sarcasm:

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois

We have a bunch of playmakers and 2 way guys. Let's get someone that can snipe it.

I'm with you on that. We have a lot of playmakers and 2 way forwards. Need someone who can bury em. A big winger with a goal scoring skill set. Bleackley and Pepin are about the only ones who fit that mold in the pool. Would like for them to add a couple more this draft.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So I haven't been paying a whole ton to prospects this year, but one big time question for me is why is Anthony Beauvillier ranked so low on McKenzie's list?

I mean he is 3rd in the Q in scoring and yet he is ranked way below players other players in the Q like Meier, Svechnikov, Sprong, Nic Roy etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he one of the captains in the recently played top draft prospects game (Cherry/Orr)? If so that shows he really doesn't have character concerns. He can obviously put up some quality numbers. So what is the deal with him? He seems like a player I wouldn't mind the Avs getting in the 2nd round if that's where he is being projected.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
That's probably why the player I'm following is ranked low, Dmytro Timashov. Some sites have him as 5'9, some 5'10. But he is an offensive dynamo and an absolute scoring threat every time he touches the puck. I can definitely see him being picked in the 3rd by a team that doesn't have too many of those scoring threats (us).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So I haven't been paying a whole ton to prospects this year, but one big time question for me is why is Anthony Beauvillier ranked so low on McKenzie's list?

There really isn't a good reason other than size. The kid is an incredible worker, plays both end of the ice, surprisingly physical, and is really skilled.

Another reason he is down the list is that he is in the Q... I don't agree with that logic, but the Q carries a stigma.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
There really isn't a good reason other than size. The kid is an incredible worker, plays both end of the ice, surprisingly physical, and is really skilled.

Another reason he is down the list is that he is in the Q... I don't agree with that logic, but the Q carries a stigma.

Is it stigma or just underscouted? This is where I think we will have a competitive advantage down the road. Roy and Tourigny know a lot about the kids over there and I'm sure our former GM/scout Mesonero does too.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Is it stigma or just underscouted? This is where I think we will have a competitive advantage down the road. Roy and Tourigny know a lot about the kids over there and I'm sure our former GM/scout Mesonero does too.

It is a stigma that causes it to be underscouted. :laugh:

The Q suffers from its former image of a run and gun, pure offense league with soft players. That league is long gone, but older scouts still favor the OHL and WHL because of the reputation. The stigma is changing, but those types of things take years and years to get over.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I'm with you on that. We have a lot of playmakers and 2 way forwards. Need someone who can bury em. A big winger with a goal scoring skill set. Bleackley and Pepin are about the only ones who fit that mold in the pool. Would like for them to add a couple more this draft.

I'd argue they're missing a playmaker a lot more than a goal scorer. In the system they have guys like Hishon and Sgarbossa who are pretty good playmakers, but it's hard to see where they fit on the Avs full time in the future.

On the team they have Mack and Duchene who can make good passes, but aren't really true playmaking types looking to setup teammates all the time. Landy can do this a bit, but again it's not his true style of play.

They're missing a Stastny type, and even O'Reilly can play this style, and they're about to lose him as well. Plus Tanguay isn't too far off from retirement/reduced role.

I think there's a pretty big hole in terms of a high end playmaker that plays the game with patience, and slows it down to use his vision and puck skills to setup guys like Mack, Duchene, and Landy. Not that they need to draft this over a goal scorer like Crouse or something, but it's definitely a bigger missing element IMO.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I'd argue they're missing a playmaker a lot more than a goal scorer. In the system they have guys like Hishon and Sgarbossa who are pretty good playmakers, but it's hard to see where they fit on the Avs full time in the future.

On the team they have Mack and Duchene who can make good passes, but aren't really true playmaking types looking to setup teammates all the time. Landy can do this a bit, but again it's not his true style of play.

They're missing a Stastny type, and even O'Reilly can play this style, and they're about to lose him as well. Plus Tanguay isn't too far off from retirement/reduced role.

I think there's a pretty big hole in terms of a high end playmaker that plays the game with patience, and slows it down to use his vision and puck skills to setup guys like Mack, Duchene, and Landy. Not that they need to draft this over a goal scorer like Crouse or something, but it's definitely a bigger missing element IMO.

Absolutely, I've mentioned this a few times in the past few months. Both MacK and Duchene can make nice passing plays and setup others but both guys are 'shoot-first' players.

We actually need another setup man to blend in with one of these guys. Fleischmann who did this well with Duchene 3-4 years ago or whatever it was is a good example of the type of winger than would really give us a boost. (I haven't seen enough of Flash this year to know how he's playing or if he would fit back in with us but if the Panthers drop out and we're still in it, I might be inclined to take a chance on him for a minor prospect.)

My personal belief is that Lars Eller is a player of that type as well who would mesh well with our top 2 lines and could also play 3rd line center if needed.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Duchene wasn't like that until this year for some reason. He was on his way to being one of the leagues elite playmakers/setup guys. And the team is much better off when he plays that role. That pass he made to Iggy from behind the net the other night, that was vintage Duchene. He is at his best when making plays like that and getting others involved in goal scoring.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Well then Barzal is your guy if you want a playmaker. I keep coming back to if he slips it's going to look like a BPA situation. He's been racking up points since his return so maybe not. But like I said they all can't be top 10 picks.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Back on the tier conversation, I think it goes to 13. Kyle Connor is right up with the top 12. He is a little underscouted since he is in the USHL, but I think somebody takes a chance on his upside before all of the top 12 go off the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad