Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Entry Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Crouse and Rantanen would be awesome pick ups if Patty and Joe want to go the forward route. If Provorov does get drafted high I wonder if Crouse could potentially fall down to us. Rantanen should be available at our pick and I like the idea of picking up a heavy RW.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Ya Bleackley is our only legit top 6 potential forward while we have multiple top 4 potential defencemen. We still need another top pairing D though which is why Provorov/Werenski should be the targets in the 1st. Plenty of potential top 6 forwards will be left in the early 2nd but no top 2 D will.
We got Bigras at 32 a few years back and who would have expected this kind of development? I think it's very premature to say that stuff about defenseman because their development is unpredictable. I mean, look at the top scoring defensemen in the league. Among the top 5, two of them were second rounders and another is a third rounder. And if you go beyond that, only 3 of the top 15 scorers among defenseman were 1st rounders. I'm not saying it's likely to find a top pairing defenseman in the second round, but it seems harder to find top forward beyond the 1st round.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Give me one of Crouse/Rantanen/Provorov/Werenski. I said it in another thread, but if Crouse/Rantanen are gone, they better not dip into the "next tier" of forwards (like Meier, Bittner, etc.) and pass up the better players just because they want a Forward in the 1st round.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
We got Bigras at 32 a few years back and who would have expected this kind of development? I think it's very premature to say that stuff about defenseman because their development is unpredictable. I mean, look at the top scoring defensemen in the league. Among the top 5, two of them were second rounders and another is a third rounder. And if you go beyond that, only 3 of the top 15 scorers among defenseman were 1st rounders. I'm not saying it's likely to find a top pairing defenseman in the second round, but it seems harder to find top scorers beyond the 1st round.

I know it's possible I just really want Provorov

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I hear ya. Maybe they'd trade down, I don't know. I think it's possible though.

I don't like the assumption that a trade would work out to get what we need down the road, we are kinda living the reality of that assumption not quite coming to fruition as easily as it sounds. I also don't quite understand the perception that if we pass on those two D then any other D we pick isn't worth anything. Yeah we need more but it doesn't have to be first round D, does it?

No, not necessarily. But I do think that Scouting has come a long way, in general, for the NHL Draft. Can you still have a bust? Sure you can, but I just don't think it's as MUCH of a risk as before (still a risk, absolutely, and I'm not saying otherwise).

So I think the Defensemen projected for the Top-10 of the 1st round are made up of qualities that SHOULD lend them to be safer projections at the NHL level. No, it's not an exact science, and surprises can always happen, but I think the same applies to Forwards as well.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
We have too little information if Roy likes players who play bigger than their size. In reality, would Roy pass over Brendan Lemieux or Jesse Gabrielle if they were perfect in each spot? We really don't know because he has never mentioned that. So we are leading to assumptions of what he might or might not like.

You don't need to be 6'3" to be tough, Rinaldo is like 5'10" and is one of the toughest guys in the NHL. I'm not targeting you RS, but just mentioning this if Roy ever reads HFBoards.

And as you know RS, Provorov is not a weakling in any regards, even if he's 6'0", it is not a weakness in his game at all. As I said before, Hepple could convince Roy that he is too good not to pass up on.

Once again, I don't disagree with the sentiment. I am fully on board with taking a small guy if he is the best guy. As long as you properly insulate him in the lineup and he's good in other ways, then that's fine.

I'm strictly speaking from what I expect out of Roy in this draft. He's emphasized time and time again that size needs to be improved to compete in this division and conference and I don't disagree to some extent.

Drafting players based on size is a road to disaster.

Potentially, yes. But I think there is still a need for it to be considered when drafting. I think we'll see Colorado load up on size at the draft, based on what Roy has said all year long.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Recent piece from the DP about our prospects gives some more clues as to what I think we'll see at the draft.

www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_27858967/avalanche-draftee-chris-bigras-will-sign-pro-contract

"We are excited about having these two guys," Roy said about Bigras and Geertsen. They're coming from the same draft. We're working on building the goaltending with Spencer Martin and the defensemen (at Lake Erie)."

The Avs are equally excited about 2014-drafted 6-5 defenseman Kyle Wood of the OHL's North Bay Battalion

"We have Wood doing well, Butcher here (at DU) and Storm," Roy said. "We have a lot of Ds that are coming along. Now we have to look at the forwards."

You never want to speculate too too much but I read this as Roy wanting to really stock the system with forwards. I still think this team needs a high-potential defender at the top of the draft, if one is there, as those guys have proven to be far harder to acquire or sign.

Sure, the forward group in the system is very weak but you can't pass on a blueliner simply because some of your other guys have shown decent development. I like Bigras/Geertsen/etc as much as anyone but none of our D prospects have top pairing potential in my opinion.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What makes the difference between a first and a second round D? What are you getting with the premium? Is it offensive upside? Is it NHL guarantee? Is it hype? I don't have the answers but I think it's something important to think about. We don't NEED another 50 point scorer, we need someone who can skate, pass and play defense. There are a lot of guys in that late first/early second tier, it's basically the next tier after Provorov/Werenski. Some will get taken in the first and some will fall, I think that group is almost as interesting.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
I'm with RL on this one, really don't want to walk away from the draft without one of Provorov, Werenski, Crouse, Rantanen.

Of course this isn't considering if one of the higher rated guys falls.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
What makes the difference between a first and a second round D? What are you getting with the premium? Is it offensive upside? Is it NHL guarantee? Is it hype? I don't have the answers but I think it's something important to think about. We don't NEED another 50 point scorer, we need someone who can skate, pass and play defense. There are a lot of guys in that late first/early second tier, it's basically the next tier after Provorov/Werenski. Some will get taken in the first and some will fall, I think that group is almost as interesting.

I can only speak from a WHL perspective but I think there's a massive drop-off from a guy like Provorov to a guy like Juulsen or Wotherspoon. And I like both of those guys a lot...but it's night and day for me.

Higher upside, higher chance of hitting that upside, NHL-readiness. All of it is far greater/better with Provorov.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
On this subject also, my brother who is pretty knowledgeable with college hockey just told me yesterday that Werenski is going to the OHL next year apparently.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
On this subject also, my brother who is pretty knowledgeable with college hockey just told me yesterday that Werenski is going to the OHL next year apparently.

The guy is already in college. That makes very little sense. Would be a step down in competition, going from playing 20+ year old men to 18 year old teens.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I can only speak from a WHL perspective but I think there's a massive drop-off from a guy like Provorov to a guy like Juulsen or Wotherspoon. And I like both of those guys a lot...but it's night and day for me.

Higher upside, higher chance of hitting that upside, NHL-readiness. All of it is far greater/better with Provorov.

Who would you compare Provorov too? I hear Bigras = Hamhuis. So how bout Provorov?

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
The guy is already in college. That makes very little sense. Would be a step down in competition, going from playing 20+ year old men to 18 year old teens.

That's what I said, I know it doesn't happen often but I'm sure it was just one of those juicy rumors that comes and goes.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Who would you compare Provorov too? I hear Bigras = Hamhuis. So how bout Provorov?

I've used Giordano before. Both not the biggest guys (almost identical in size, actually), ok skaters but not pure blazers, big shots, move the puck well, can play in all situations, aren't killers physically but can really lower the boom when they need to.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Anyone have anything on Nathan Noel. He's a local kid who I actually played some pick up with. He was highly touted as like a 13 year old following the Crosby/Mackinnon Shattuck St. Mary's steps but his stock has dropped quickly since playing in the Q. He's still producing well but not in the elite way he was expected to.

I'm guessing he will be a 3rd/4th round pick but i'm wondering if anybody has any idea where most anticipate him to go exactly?

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
As much as I want Provorov, I think Roy will be taking a forward with the pick. Crouse or Rantanen should be there if we go to 8th.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Anyone have anything on Nathan Noel. He's a local kid who I actually played some pick up with. He was highly touted as like a 13 year old following the Crosby/Mackinnon Shattuck St. Mary's steps but his stock has dropped quickly since playing in the Q. He's still producing well but not in the elite way he was expected to.

I'm guessing he will be a 3rd/4th round pick but i'm wondering if anybody has any idea where most anticipate him to go exactly?

Was watching when he scored the other day, funny you should bring him up. 2/3 round I guess, seems like a decent forward prospect wouldn't say anything overtly stood out but seems like he could still make a leap in the next couple of years. PPG this year, not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig